Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

thrusters

I saw an ad in Passage maker from Yacht Thruster for their bow and stern thrusters, they are external units and can be installed by the owner with enough skills. They are sort of torpedo shaped and can be mounted on the bottom side of the swim step or on the transom. The company claims low drag and low power draw. I'm thinking about a stern thruster to go with the bow. Does anybody have one of these or know anything about the company?

The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
My BIL and I both looked at these external thrusters too and the reservation we both had was the prospects of them being struck vs internal units. Then it was the cosmetic thing of seeing the bow thruster took away from pristine look of our boats. I am not saying that if anyone had one it would be a bad thing but for now neither one of us made the purchase.

Elwin

Old 05-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
There is a bolt-on stern thruster made by Cap Sante that is designed specifically for boats (like GBs, CHBs, etc.) that have a very shallow draft at the transom. They have a website: Cap Sante Marine Stern Thrusters | Sales, service and installation
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #4

I agree about the external bow unit, I couldn't stand looking at it regardless of how well it worked. I already have the tunnel thruster at the bow but what is interesting about Yacht Thruster stern unit is that it requires only a 2in hole for wires and some thru bolts for a backing plate. I am aware of the Cap Sante model but I'm not sure there is room for the motor due to the location of the steering ram. I will get the dimensions an measure before moving on.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #5

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
A buddy of mine of made one from a 50lb thrust trolling motor made his own brackets and it seems to work fine on his 25ft single screw ,Its hidden under the swim platform. and the boat seems to Piviot on the centerline with it only on the stern. Not sure how long it will last i am waiting it out before i try anything like that.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote