Throttles slip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonnyP

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kairos
Vessel Make
Island Pilot 395
Hi Guys,

At various RPMs my throttles want to slip back towards idle. Any idvise on tightening them up so they will hold any setting?

Thanks,
Donny

1983 Cheer Men PT41
Twin Ford Lehmen 120HP

Throttle tension adjustments are generally in the controls. If you have 2 stations, you want all the tension adjustment in the controls closest to the motor. If you can post the make of your controls (Morse, Kobelt, etc),
we may be able to tell you how to make the adjustment.

Ted

What kind of engines

Some governor's have spring adjustment to balance the the return pull of the governors throttle control lever.

Hi guys, I can't find the make of the controls anywhere. There is a small plate on the top of the control housing with 4 screws under it. Looks like those are the limit screws. Doesn't look there is anything to adjust under the helm. Would it be on the engine, nothing obvious. I will post some pics when I get back to my laptop....would love to be a me to with iPhone/iPad...

Thanks,
Donny

Here is a link to the Teleflex site. This company makes many common controls.

Controls – Mechanical Single Action « Teleflex Marine.

Here is a copy of the throttle friction adjustment page for a common control.

If this is not your control, search around the site to see if yours is a Teleflex, then go to the support page for instruction manuals.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-05-18 at 11.56.42 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-05-18 at 11.56.42 AM.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 117
Larry,
I think you win the prize. We will be heading out for a little ride tomorrow and I will play with the Friction Brake Screw.

Thanks very much!!!

Donny

Under the friction brake screw is a thin strip of brass with holes in it to locate idle.

Some folks have been known to drill another hole or two to locate any particular RPM that you wish to return to often.

1300 for no wake zones, 1800, for normal cruise? Whatever,,,

Our DD uses the throttle as the engine stop, so there is a detent hole to locate warm idle , to prevent an unwanted shut down.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom