Old 08-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Thread sealant on engine/stabilizer zincs

Anyone know what sealant I should be using when reinstalling zincs as shown in the pict?
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
03B4F407-9394-499A-AAC9-2FA482CB6019.jpg  
Old 08-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We don’t have stabilizers but on our engine pencil anodes I don’t use any thread sealant.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
There are differing schools of thought on this subject. There is one that says any type of sealant will only serve to electrically insulate the zinc from the metal it's supposed to protect. That premise isn't completely valid since even though there may be some insulation from application of a sealant, the tapered thread provides enough metal - metal contact to provide electrical continuity. I don't think any conventional thread sealant inhibits that electrical connection to the extent that it need be a concern. That said, teflon tape seems to leave enough of a film of material that it may not be a good choice for zincs. Copper-based anti-seize compound is conductive, so it might be a good choice.
The other school says that since the thread of the zinc housing is brass, it deforms easily and will probably seal all by itself without any additional thread dope. Because they're typically changed out routinely, and they're brass, there's little likelihood that the threads will lock up.

I've done zincs both ways, can't say I've seen any difference.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If it seals without any sealant, why use it?
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I started a thread about this last March. Here is what the guru had to say:

Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Since it is much cheaper to buy just the anode and reuse the brass pipe plug, that is what I have been doing the past few years. But when they are removed from the heat exchanger, it is usually difficult to unscrew the anode from the plug. Sometimes I will need to drill the remaining anode and re-tap the threads. I have had to discard many plugs in the past and I am getting low on them.

So I am wondering if using anti seize on the anode threads would be acceptable. Here is some information I found on the internet:

Graphite is an excellent conductor of electricity and high temperature solid lubricant (up to 900 degrees F). It is therefore widely used in formulations of anti-seize. In assemblies with electrical current running through a fastened joint such as the threads of spark plugs, ground screws, and antennae connections, anti-seize can be used with minimal increase to resistance. Corrosion of a threaded joint increases the electrical resistance. The use of anti-seize on these types of connections will ensure current is transmitted reliably by preventing corrosion.

What is the general consensus on doing this?
Graphite-based anti-seize should not be used in marine application, it is extremely noble, i.e. every other metal, when in contact with it and and electrolyte (seawater) will corrode. If you were going to use an anti-seize I'd use a nickel or copper base. However, I'd run a test, before and after coating the threads and screwing the anode into the plug I'd check the continuity, anything over one ohm is too much, make certain the anti-seize is not increasing resistance. The fact is, I don't believe you need anti-seize per se, you could use a dielectric grease like Teflon Superlube, or a conductant paste like Koper Shield.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:54 PM   #6

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Aqua Vitae
Vessel Model: Seahorse 52 LRC
I believe the magazine Practical Sailor did a test a few months back and found that it did not matter using tape or compound or whatever. In all cases the sealant did not insulate and use whatever you like. That said, I like Steve's idea testing continuity to make sure.
Bruce Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
If I am using an older plug, I will sometimes use Rectorseal 5. I was recommended by Tony Athens at some point and it seems to work well. However, yesterday when I checked my anodes, I took them out, checked them and replaced them. I didn’t bother with putting any sealant on them. I’ll check to be sure they aren’t weeping on the next trip.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:05 AM   #8
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I have never used a sealant and have never experienced a leak. Tapered threads and the fact that the pressre in the system really isn't all that much says a lot. I recently cross-threaded one and it didn't leak. As Comodave said, if it doesn't leak, why use a sealant. I guess fear that it might but think about it. If it were to begin leaking it would just be a dribble. Deal with it then IF it occurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
If it seals without any sealant, why use it?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I've used sealant and not used sealant depending on whether the plug is new or not. Regardless, I use a multimeter to check for continuity. On my trawler, I now use aluminum anodes that have a stainless steel plug. For those I use a little multipurpose sealant and then check with the multimeter. In all the years of installing anodes, I've probably only had 2 or 3 that needed an additional tweak for proper continuity.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #10
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Use whatever sealant you want, then take ohmeter reading from brass cap to the metal case of whatever its screwed on, it should be about zero ohms. Then you know its making electric contact.
I sometimes use marine grease, or teflon paste T plus 2 or nothing at all.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSe...3631/100201204

And that paste works great on rubber hose ends, prevents them from getting stuck.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I've used sealant and not used sealant depending on whether the plug is new or not. Regardless, I use a multimeter to check for continuity. On my trawler, I now use aluminum anodes that have a stainless steel plug. For those I use a little multipurpose sealant and then check with the multimeter. In all the years of installing anodes, I've probably only had 2 or 3 that needed an additional tweak for proper continuity.

Ted

Do you have a source for those AL pencil anodes?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #12

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Aqua Vitae
Vessel Model: Seahorse 52 LRC
Boatzincs.com should have them.
Bruce Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Palmer View Post
Boatzincs.com should have them.

I’ll check again, but last time I checked they didn’t.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #14

City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
FYI Cummins specifies Rectorseal T Plus2 or Hercules Pro Dope, I just use the Rectorseal, easy to find.
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Do you have a source for those AL pencil anodes?
I've had the best experience w Performance Metals Al pencils. I buy direct and found they have the widest selection of pencils and complete units. They also have the reinforcing rods in the center that help reduce break offs.
Some other suppliers had some but not all anodes I needed until I found the above.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I've had the best experience w Performance Metals Al pencils. I buy direct and found they have the widest selection of pencils and complete units. They also have the reinforcing rods in the center that help reduce break offs.
Some other suppliers had some but not all anodes I needed until I found the above.
Same here. Performance Metals pencil zincs are top quality and they have a lot of choices on aluminum pencils.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
I use Tef-gel on all sealing fasteners and Alco grease on anything that is in contact with seawater. In and out twice
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

I’ve tried calling them in the past with little luck. I sent them an email today. Maybe they will respond.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #19
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Dave, I’m guessing you’ve already seen their page on aluminum pencil anodes. If not: https://performancemetals.com/collections/pencil-anodes
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I had no problem contacting them.
Apparently they sell through distributors but when I gave them my location they said they didnt have a dealer in my area and no problem if I ordered direct.
Other online didnt list all of the ones I wanted and suspect they only stock most popular and order odd ones as needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I’ve tried calling them in the past with little luck. I sent them an email today. Maybe they will respond.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote