Old 02-03-2014, 12:45 AM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
FloScan was the right answer. The unit has a reset able totalizer that will count your fuel consumption from the time it was last reset. If you know how much you started with, you will always know how much is left. I used this method for many years as a backup to my fuel gauge. Fill it up, reset the totalizer count to zero, and add up the gallons until they match what you can hold, and you are now out of fuel!
I have elect dash gauges that seem pretty close to correct... but, I never really trust that type of reader... had big problem years ago due to misread from one of those.

I do keep calcs on fuel burn... to hrs... to last fill up; for knowing when to fill up again.

Also look forward to installing twin screw FloScan when I find time.

But... I really want to develop a good way to accomplish "straight stick" fuel level tests through my off center filler hose. Such as I mention on post # 15... That way of reading always tells the truth!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
You do have a fuel shutoff on the tank? Close it, take off the fuel hose and attach a tee, put a valve on the vertical outlet, reattach the fuel line, add a clear hose et voila, sight gauge. Doesn't have to be "on" the tank and should be shut off unless you are looking at it. The other end goes back to the tank or tee it to your overboard vent.

My sight tube is mounted next to the trim around the door to the engine room which is very convenient to monitor, but the valve isn't. I only need to monitor one of the two tanks.
That will work but you need to be able to operate the valve because it should be closed except when you are taking a reading (for safety reasons).

I am considering doing just that but the location of the tubes and valves is what's holding me back. They would not be convenient to get to.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #23
Art
Guru

Note on a perfectly accurate and completely "flexible" straight-stick fuel tank reading device; thought I’d share:

I recently put together a brown color 3/16" piece of brown tweed covered nylon filament line onto one end a long thin double ended torpedo shaped fishing weight (5 oz +/-). The 2" overlap on the line at eye end of weight is stitched tightly together with thin stainless wire and then tightly double wrapped with high quality electrical tape. That’s so there is nothing inside the tank that may catch on any protrusion of the line to sinker area.

As both of my 100 gallon tanks’ filler necks have a pronounced kink in the tube to tank entry there was no way I could get even a 1/4" piece of dowel to go through.

Now by gently dropping the weight with flexible line into either tank I can tell immediately when the lower end of weight hits tank bottom... I can even clearly hear it out filler tube opening.

As the tweed cover is brown and somewhat absorptive it is easy to see by the wet/dry line the inches of fuel in the tank.

Seeing that our tanks both calc out at 4 gallons per inch (staying relatively conservative) the math is simple.

Starboard was 13” for 52 gallons and port was 18” for 72 gallons. That figures correctly as gen set feeds off starboard only.

This makes me feel very secure that no matter if my tank gauges are reading correctly or not... I now always have a conclusive tank level test method that is 100% correct!!

psneeld post # 6... about his USCG cutter days... is what lead me to this desired result... Thanks, Boat Buddy!

Happy Fuel Calc Daze! - Art
Old 06-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Note on a perfectly accurate and completely "flexible" straight-stick fuel tank reading device; thought I’d share:

psneeld post # 6... about his USCG cutter days... is what lead me to this desired result... Thanks, Boat Buddy!

Happy Fuel Calc Daze! - Art
Knowing is always more comforting than believing.......have fun!!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I rely on my Floscan. It keeps accurate track of fuel used and if it tells me I've used 48 gallons, the tank will take within a gallon of 48 gallons when I fill it.

This is the type of tape that psneeld was talking about. Note that it has a ground clip to dissipate static electricity.

The Official Site of Lufkin Brand Measuring Products
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 PM   #26
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I rely on my Floscan. It keeps accurate track of fuel used and if it tells me I've used 48 gallons, the tank will take within a gallon of 48 gallons when I fill it.

This is the type of tape that psneeld was talking about. Note that it has a ground clip to dissipate static electricity.

The Official Site of Lufkin Brand Measuring Products
Thanks for product suggestion!

I've got a full set up of FloScan in its original package box for twin screws; had it stored for about a year in forward cabin cabinet. Just ain't took da time ta hook er up yet! - LOL

I don't believe FS will read the additional starboard tank fuel drain due to gen set??

Till I hook FS up I’m pleased to utilize the sinker/nylon line method for accurate fuel reading.

Now that I think of it... is there any possible way for a static electricity spark off/from the line or sinker as it lowers through gas fumes into the gasoline inside tank. I doubt it seeing as no static spark from wood stick for tank level reading. I’m going net searching on this topic and appreciate any input from TF members. One spark can mean curtains for us aboard. Hummm... must locate conclusive answer on this... before using sinker/line gasoline tank-level reading method again!

Since the above Post: After my first web-net exploration regarding static electricity mentioned above... It appears that as long as the nylon line was dampened first with water that there would be no chance for static build up between gas tank and the nylon line. Therefore, it appears that the sinker and line could be dunked into water prior to tank reading. Then, after a few seconds of evaporation off the line the wet level leaved by gas in tank would still be visible for reading purposes. I will continue research!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If the line is fed over the edge of the fuel fill...and the fuel fill is properly grounded...there should be no chance of static either...but like all things...that's assuming that your system is OK.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Speaking of fuel fills , how many folks have checked to see there is a ground strap between the fill deck fitting and the tank?

A rubber hose will not serve as a ground , usually a flat tinned braided wire is frequenrly used.

Looking for the ground is one way to check the qualifications of the boat assembler.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 AM   #29
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
That tool is called an Ullage tape. Used to sound tanks of various sizes and shapes. Typically boats and ships will have Ullage tables for each tank, that shows what each inch of fuel is.
If you sprinkle "commet" on it, the wet area shows up much better. You need to have a general idea of fuel level. Some of these tanks are 20' plus deep.
Water paste can be added to the plumb bob for detection.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 AM   #30
Wil
Veteran Member

City: Pacific NW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
That tool is called an Ullage tape. Used to sound tanks of various sizes and shapes. Typically boats and ships will have Ullage tables for each tank, that shows what each inch of fuel is.
If you sprinkle "commet" on it, the wet area shows up much better. You need to have a general idea of fuel level. Some of these tanks are 20' plus deep.
Water paste can be added to the plumb bob for detection.
Sorry for the ignorance, where do you get 'commet'? Kept getting 'comment' and 'comet' in searches.....
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:38 AM   #31
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Comet is the household cleaner. Available at wallyworld and everywhere else. $.99
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #32
Wil
Veteran Member

City: Pacific NW
Thanks.

Wil is offline   Reply With Quote