Thinner oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A person could claim to have been boating for 35 years. How would anyone know?

Nobody comes to your boat to interview you before they let you join.

A person could claim to have been boating for 35 years. How would anyone know?

Nobody comes to your boat to interview you before they let you join.

Please provide your location and slip number. Then an iced down case of beer with some pretzels. We may show up to interview you.

People that care to find out who is who.....do.

psneeld thanks for posting this thread.

It was INTERESTING.

I use the block heater (with time clock) for 3 hours before start when temperatures are expected below 40 degrees. My block heater costs $0.15 per hour to run. My truck batteries last 7 years on average because they don't work hard in the winter either. When it's zero out, I can turn the key and be heading down the road in under a minute.....with cabin heat to follow shortly. :)

With a MPG of 22 to 25, .1-.3 MPG increase doesn't excite me. :socool:

Ted

.1-.3 MPG is just icing on the cake. :D The only reason I mentioned it, is as I said, the oil companies said the MPG would increase by that amount, and it did.

My batteries in the truck last about 6 years irregardless of using the block heater.

The problem I had with a cold engine with the 15Wx40 oil was not so much starting, since the truck would start up pretty quick, it was the engine did NOT like that thick, cold, oil, and it felt like the engine was going to pop off the frame until it warmed up.

I do miss having warm air right after start up due to the block heater. That was real nice. But we do not have a garage and having to hook the block heater and then disconnect it in the morning and put up the cord was a PITA. I don't miss that at all. Flip side, is there is no way to hook up the block heater at work but with using the 0Wx40 or 5Wx40 oil it does not matter. Just get in, hit the glow plugs, start and go.

Later,
Dan

And so, in so much as, all of the above, and not withstanding, I happen to use Castrol Magnatec Diesel 15W-40 oil in my trusty old Lehman 120hp, and it loves it. Especially having that protective coating at cold start-up. Still uses very little oil, and with no smoke after 4000 + hours.
I use Magnatec 10W-30 in my car for the same reason Still uses virtually no oil after 300,000km. Neither oil existed when both were manufactured. Just sayin' :thumb: :socool: :D

Peter,
Most do following the truckers. But their engines do get cold.
The point I'm making is, I realize mostly fly stuff. Either MV or strait wt oil will take an engine through it's life gracefully. And re the posts .. as usual I'm just flop'in out what I think. Peter I'm just as happy running 30 wt oil. And Dave my manual does recommend it.

In cars and trucks many oil decisions are mandated by the Air Police.

Our MB Sprinter 3500 the turbo V-6 now needs 0W- 30 synthetic to meet mileage and air police demands, not for engine longevity.

The synthetic is required to put less ash in the cat converter DEF device, not for engine longevity.

Oil change is 20,000 miles, not for engine longevity.

Scott. Way to be an instigator! LoL. Love ya bro!

I don't know squat about oils and the rest of what you experts like to discuss and since I'm willing to admit I'm a winder licker I just follow what the maker tells me to do, I even use their brand name. Do I pay more? Of course but I sleep well at night. So there!!!! And I avoid arguments because I don't know enough to argue. I do enjoying the various points of view.

I posted this excerpt from Cummins Service Bulletin 3810340-06, 11-MAY-2007 under Wolverine heater, but should probably have posted it here. This bulletin speaks directly to Cummins' position on lubricant types and viscosity for their engines.:D

In cars and trucks many oil decisions are mandated by the Air Police.

Our MB Sprinter 3500 the turbo V-6 now needs 0W- 30 synthetic to meet mileage and air police demands, not for engine longevity.

The synthetic is required to put less ash in the cat converter DEF device, not for engine longevity.

Oil change is 20,000 miles, not for engine longevity.

Yes ... more reasons that have nothing to do w engine longivity.

When I flew ultralights the engine manufacturer said not to use synthetic oil. When we put them on the spot at an air show they said they didn't have time to test all the various brands of syn oil. There's much more difference in syn oils than dino. So they recommended dino oil to protect themselves from lawyers.

And as mentioned by FF and quite a few others emissions and millage numbers on the window stickers are involved. Perhaps profoundly.

But the thing that I think is most responsible for the wide popularity of MV is that it seems more modern. People think "why would I want to use that old stuff that my father put in his flat head 1950 plymouth"? It's a common view that anything newer is more modern and better because of it. 10-30 oil emerged on the market to make cars easier to start in Minnesota in the winter. Probably never intended for California or western WA. Perhaps for the oil companies just having a "new" product was front and center. I had a 1950 Plymouth in the late 60's and drive school bus. Went to work often in the winter when it was below 0 deg and the 6 volt Plymouth always started up .. but slowly w much cranking. Don't remember what oil I had in it but it sure could have benefitted from MV oil. But that was eastern WA where it does get cold.

Another thing I've noticed re viscosity is that NAPA (big auto parts store) has offered a racing oil for as long as I can remember. Valveline 60 weight. For the highest performance of all they sell 60weight. That says to me that viscosity offers the best protection for engines in that extreme application.

I would just like to see people selecting oil on the basis of needs and specific applicability. We don't need MV oil for startup on our boats and I can't see any other resin either. The Cummins bulletin Larry posted leads almost anyone to believe using anything other than MV is stupid. Could actually be right. Who have we got to listen to except engine manufacturers? But they are always motivated by marketing pressures and gov reg.

I'm beginning to think there's more hype involved in brands of oil and their viscosities than anchors.

Back
Top Bottom