Thermostat Replacement Cummins 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRE

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Change
Anyone know why the quote I got from my dealer is $2900 for replacement of a thermostat on Cummins 6CTAB8.3? I don't know diesels all that well but in the process of learning. Do you need to take apart the entire engine to get to them? Is this just price gouging?

Talk to the parts department at Seaboard Marine (sbmar.com) to get a price for the thermostat and ask them what is required to replace one. They are located in Oxnard, Ca so that won't do you much good for actual work. But Seaboard is a rock solid Cummins dealer and should be able to help you. If you decide to DIY, buy the thermostat from them.

You can also post this question on sbmar's website. Someone should respond and give you some good advice. Also there is a section on the website called Tony's Tips. That might give some info on thermostat replacement.

David

I agree with DavidM. Talk to Seaboard Marine.

Anyone know why the quote I got from my dealer is $2900 for replacement of a thermostat on Cummins 6CTAB8.3? I don't know diesels all that well but in the process of learning. Do you need to take apart the entire engine to get to them? Is this just price gouging?

If it's a "Cummins 500" maybe that's a QSC?

We had a 6CTA8.3 -- Diamond 450 C Series, predates Quantum Series but same block as far as I know. Had thermostats changed once while in transit, cost $1055.41. Thermostats were $47.62 each, invoice says there were 4 of them. (??) Plus some gaskets. Some freight. Some mileage. Labor was $740, and that included a lot of time messing with antifreeze.

-Chris

If it's a "Cummins 500" maybe that's a QSC?

We had a 6CTA8.3 -- Diamond 450 C Series, predates Quantum Series but same block as far as I know. Had thermostats changed once while in transit, cost $1055.41. Thermostats were $47.62 each, invoice says there were 4 of them. (??) Plus some gaskets. Some freight. Some mileage. Labor was $740, and that included a lot of time messing with antifreeze.

-Chris
I was scratching my head on that one be too, I thought 450 HP was the highest rating for a marine CTA.

Did the shop look at the engine or is this quote over the phone?, perhaps the anticipate a snowball effect of this job if there is damage to the housing, water pump, etc. I still seems awfully high.

Talk to the parts department at Seaboard Marine (sbmar.com) to get a price for the thermostat and ask them what is required to

Thanks for the tip - Excellent resource!

Back
Top Bottom