Thermocouple extension wire for Murphy gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Searios

What cable type is used for Murphy's thermocouple extension cables for a standard K-type thermocouple. It's for exhaust gas temperature.

Most EGT are assembled and can not be extended as they are calibrated..

Glow Shift gauges hook the thermocouple to the gauge with common wire , I have used then with good results.

GlowShift | Pyrometer Exhaust Gas Temperature Gauges

www.glowshiftdirect.com › Gauge Types

Results 1 - 18 of 18 - Glowshift's Pyrometer EGT gauges will accurately monitor the critical level of your exhaust gas temperature. Every pyrometer gauge comes ...

Last edited:
I'm worried that a regular wire 5" from the exhaust elbow will be damaged by heat - so I'm trying to figure out what temperature ratings the wire need..105 degree, 200 degree, 400 degree or other rating...shilded, non shielded, braided etc...

If you go to someone like Omega Engineering they sell thermocouple extension wire. Type K plus other types.
You can extend it but it needs to be the same type of wire for accuracy.

Another would be Isspro Guages. They make EGT guages and also sell extension wire.

The proper extension wire will not be bothered by the heat as it is the same material as the T.C. itself.

Last edited:
This was passed to me by someone who is an expert in diesel exhaust systems....

For the OP ......tell him to look on eBay for "10M-Silver-Tone-Metal-K-Type-Thermocouple-Extension-Wire-TS and to use proper type K male and female connectors. It is also OK to use uninsulated crimp connectors to join the TC wires but cover them with heatshrink.

This expert makes his own thermocouples and extensions all the time. ...he says give him my email if he wants instructions on how to do the job cheaply and effectively.

So OP, if you need help, just ask me in a PM and I can hook you two up.

Back
Top Bottom