Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Volvo D2-55C Heat Exchanger

I`m asking this for a friend, good at fixing things, including for other people, but not good with words and expression.
He has a Volvo 4cyl D2-55C engine which needs a new heat exchanger. The engine is a Perkins marinized by Volvo. Eng S/N 5103904837.
The heat exchanger is a combination exhaust manifold/heat exchanger, part no. 3808561. I attach the exploded drawing.
A new one from Volvo costs $4500 AUD! Does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement at a reasonable price? Even shipping it from US there is every possibility it comes out cheaper.
It is possible there is a modification splitting the two components, heat exchanger and manifold.
Any help on sourcing much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
photo.jpg  
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
You might try Dick Vosbury, Vosbury Marine
email vosburym@aol.com

or try his shop through Google

He has his shop in Maryland, US. He has also been active on Boatdiesel for many years helping Volvo owners. Maybe he can help.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'll price one out at the local dealer for you tomorrow.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Check out mesamarine website. They are into the Perkins manicoolers big time. They are coming out with a modular setup in the next year or two but may already have one in mind for your question.

Also ASAP Supplies out of England. They have Perkins 4 cylinder manicoolers for about 1100 pounds.

The EJ Bowman website is worth looking at too, I believe Brooksie on this Forum used them some time ago..

Manicoolers can take a real beating if salt water goes the wrong way so have your friend be sure the exhaust isn't getting back flooded.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #5

City: Gloucester
This engine was not marinized by Perkins. The manifold may be made by bowman but it isn't in their catalog - wouldn't hurt to ask them. It is very different from the earlier 4.108 (metric vs. Imperial design to start with) so 4.108 manifolds probably won't fit. It may be possible to modify one to fit, I don't have one to tinker with. Try westend marine in the UK, I understand they marinized some D2-75 engines with what appear to be the same manifolds as Volvo. Modern engines so doubt there are used spares anywhere. And check around with the bigger Volvo dealers, TAD in particular, you may get a good price on a new one. Good luck, I own two boats with westerbeke mitsus and had to pay a fortune for a proprietary Sherwood water pump last year so I feel your pain.
RCB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Thanks everyone, for your help. I am following up the various leads, several enquiry emails are out there. Here`s hoping.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote