Old 01-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
actually, I'd be interested to hear if someone feels real strong about it either way. the inspector, who spent 12 hours in the engine spaces, was cautiously optimistic.
The key element none of us can answer is your tolerance for dealing with problems getting it into shape and finding hidden problems. I have very little so I'd be running my fastest, but you seem to have more. I saw enough things there though to tell me minimum of $50k off the price to consider taking it.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #42

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
The key element none of us can answer is your tolerance for dealing with problems getting it into shape and finding hidden problems. I have very little so I'd be running my fastest, but you seem to have more. I saw enough things there though to tell me minimum of $50k off the price to consider taking it.
I've rehabbed a couple boats, including a Santa Cruz 50, but nothing where I'd need to bring in the experts like this.

I agree, somewhere around $40-50k off current agreement.

GregMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #43

City: Owings, Md
Quote:
I've rehabbed a couple boats, including a Santa Cruz 50.
No wonder you need a fast boat, even your sailboat was semi-displacement
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
No wonder you need a fast boat, even your sailboat was semi-displacement
haha, it was fun sailing her to Hawaii last year for sure.

My background is high performance skiffs and multihulls. My other boat is a strip-planked International 14 skiff.....,
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #45
Guru

City: Sydney
I think to sum it up its typically one of those orphan boats that looks a bit different but has lots of problem owner want $100000 but will take $70000 then you spend $100000 getting it up to a fair standard then you own another orphan boat that's worth $70000 and cant sell it for $60000
So there are some great boats for sale around $170000 without the pain
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #46

City: Redlands
Walk! Too many must fix items.
Lots of boats out here.
Arch
Old 01-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #47

Thanks Arch.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #48
Guru

Greg, I think you are already doing this, but just work your way through the issues. Remove the emotional elements for and against. When you are ready to decide take pen and paper(ok your laptop), write down the pluses and minuses, and take into account the advice here, as part of your thinking to say yea or nay. And if yea, only at your brutal and conservatively(your way) calculated offer. Remember, you have to get it insured, with that survey the insurer will have questions and or conditions.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:57 AM   #49

well, unfortunately the oil analyses came back far outside of normal parameters.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:10 AM   #50
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Gawd that's a relief! Go get a good one!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
well, unfortunately the oil analyses came back far outside of normal parameters.
Sounds like you really wanted that bad, so too bad the analyses did not meet your expectations. But you probably weren't surprised.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #52
FF
Guru

"well, unfortunately the oil analyses came back far outside of normal parameters."

This is not unusual for a dock queen that sits for months with an occasional start to show the engine will operate.

Oil analyses works best with operating vessels so a history can be compared over a period of time.

A snapshot is seldom useful.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #53
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"well, unfortunately the oil analyses came back far outside of normal parameters."

This is not unusual for a dock queen that sits for months with an occasional start to show the engine will operate.

Oil analyses works best with operating vessels so a history can be compared over a period of time.

A snapshot is seldom useful.

Absolutely - engine oil tests like these are not very accurate and finding particular issues. I would not be surprised with any and all problems these engines would have due to their operating parameter history and their maintenance. While IMHO I would not pursue this boat myself this oil test would not be a reason to walk away.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #54

agreed that trends are better, but one engine is showing coolant in the oil, the other is showing evidence of bad rings...

Lesson for everyone - don't park your boat for 8 years, run it occasionally, and think non-use will keep it like new.

What's the term on Boatdiesel? Engine Age?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #55
Guru

City: gulf coast
There are so many good condition boats in the $100K price range I can think of any low price that would make me want to take on that project.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #56
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
There are so many good condition boats in the $100K price range I can think of any low price that would make me want to take on that project.
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
While I'm not ready for another boat project, if I really liked the boat, I might see what repowering would cost. Clearly not a new state of the art motor, but maybe some remans. Who knows, you might even find a pair of remans of what's in the boat. If I were liking the boat, I might consider a pair of factory reman Cummins 6BT 220 HP. Wouldn't get the 18 knot cruise, but should be able to get 14 or so. Less than $40K for the pair and maybe you can use the transmissions. Point is that it costs little to get some estimates and see what might be out there. Figure the boats worth $10 to $20K with 2 bad motors. Maybe the owner is ready to sell for a song, maybe not. Nothing wrong with the boat with 2 reman motors for $80K to $100K total. All depends on how much you and the admiral like the boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While I'm not ready for another boat project, if I really liked the boat, I might see what repowering would cost. Clearly not a new state of the art motor, but maybe some remans. Who knows, you might even find a pair of remans of what's in the boat. If I were liking the boat, I might consider a pair of factory reman Cummins 6BT 220 HP. Wouldn't get the 18 knot cruise, but should be able to get 14 or so. Less than $40K for the pair and maybe you can use the transmissions. Point is that it costs little to get some estimates and see what might be out there. Figure the boats worth $10 to $20K with 2 bad motors. Maybe the owner is ready to sell for a song, maybe not. Nothing wrong with the boat with 2 reman motors for $80K to $100K total. All depends on how much you and the admiral like the boat.

Ted
interesting development, seller said "i'll fix everything on the list, and cover the full cost". it's a long list. I know there is stuff that isn't on the list but if the engines (all 2), support systems, radar, autopilot, windlass all get full repairs, this might work.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #59
Guru

That is attractive, but it puts the repairs outside your control. Have the contract provide for the seller to produce repair invoices, and for you having the work professionally checked, as a precondition to finalizing the deal. If you get hesitation about the inclusions, reconsider altogether.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #60
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Be sure to be in agreement as to who does the work and what constitutes a complete repair. I'm afraid to even think of what has yet to be discovered. I still think you should move on to another boat.

hmason is online now   Reply With Quote