Old 05-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Now, I am curious - how in the heck can one leave their sea strainer cap off/loose and not have water big time entering the bilge, assuming the through hull is open?
Our boat was not built with sea strainers and none of the previous owners in the SFO Bay area elected to install them in the 25 years the boat was there before we bought it. Perhaps they aren't all that useful down there, I don't know.

But when our boat came off the truck up here and into the yard for some stuff we wanted done, one of the things we wanted done was the installation of sea strainers as we had learned about eel grass and whatnot. The yard installed a big Groco strainer in the intake line of each engine.

The installation is such that the top of each strainer "bowl" is just a wee bit higher than the waterline. So if the top is removed with the seacock open, the water will sit just below the rim of the open strainer.

I never do this as a matter of practice, but always close the seacock when we remove and clean the strainer baskets and then open them again when the strainers are buttoned up. We leave our two engine seacocks open all the time.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:19 AM   #22
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
What I repowered I made sure the top of the new sea strainer was above the waterline on my little boat. Probably read it in the manual or some book.

That said, I never actually had to clean it yet.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I double checked mine via a photo of Sherpa's engine room and the sea strainer for the engine is definitely above the water line. My A/C and washdown pump strainer are below.
In fact then, it was only that precise fact that prevented your whole boat flooding big time…which could have been a lot more serious than replacing the impeller, so maybe not so bad after all. I think the thing that really saved significant damage to impeller, exhaust, and engine for that matter, is the sheer slowness these engines heat up fully.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thank God for the humble members who share their stupid mistakes. It always produces a number of preventive alternatives that we'd be smart to emulate.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #25
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Vashon- Exhaust hose could be damaged where it connects to mixer. Pull the hose back and inspect inside. If it is damaged, it would be right close to where it fits on mixer. If ok there, rest of exh system should be fine.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #26

City: Juneau
Would like information on Vashon pocket trawler

I'm hoping that Vashon Trawler will share information with me. I've owned the "Puffin", a 23' Vashon Pocket Cruiser for a season now and would really appreciate any material/ plans from the boat works. Name is Rodney and email is shelterak@gci.net. Thanks
Vashonshelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #27

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I appreciate the responses and excellent ideas. Good advice, Ski. I will be on the boat this weekend to conduct some maintenance (oil and fuel filter changes). I am hoping I can remove the exhaust hose to inspect without damaging it. I've rarely been successful at removing an exhaust house without cutting it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I've rarely been successful at removing an exhaust house without cutting it.
You probably already know this, but the application of heat from a heat gun can make a stubborn hose very easy to remove (or install). Obviously one doesn't want to use so much heat that it damages the hose, but used judiciously it can help keep you from having to cut the hose.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #29
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You probably already know this, but the application of heat from a heat gun can make a stubborn hose very easy to remove (or install). Obviously one doesn't want to use so much heat that it damages the hose, but used judiciously it can help keep you from having to cut the hose.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
When we had a boat with a key, we would hang the key on the thru hull handle. Our Grand Banks doesn't have a key.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #31

City: Juneau
Hopefully this is mail

I just got set straight about not leaving my email address in a post. I was hoping you could share information about the Vashon Pocket cruisers. I bought the Puffin last summer, a 23' Vashon pocket cruiser or Trawler and there is a ton I have to learn and I'd be happy to pay any costs to you for the info. I scoured the web without a whole lot of luck.

I don't even know if it's a solid or cored hull. I do know it's a scary feeling to have a half ton Dodge pulled down the boat ramp by her. This is also my first diesel boat. I'm pretty excited about this vessel. Thanks!

P.S. If you feel stepped on by my user name I'll change it if I can.
Vashonshelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #32

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashonshelter View Post
I just got set straight about not leaving my email address in a post. I was hoping you could share information about the Vashon Pocket cruisers. I bought the Puffin last summer, a 23' Vashon pocket cruiser or Trawler and there is a ton I have to learn and I'd be happy to pay any costs to you for the info. I scoured the web without a whole lot of luck.

I don't even know if it's a solid or cored hull. I do know it's a scary feeling to have a half ton Dodge pulled down the boat ramp by her. This is also my first diesel boat. I'm pretty excited about this vessel. Thanks!

P.S. If you feel stepped on by my user name I'll change it if I can.
Welcome! I'd be happy to assist you. I will send you a private message so we can correspond. I have a lot of information on the Vashon trawlers and will gladly share what I have (no need to reimburse). Don't worry about the username--I'm just happy to see another Vashon owner on the forum! Please post some pictures if you can!

Vashons were either built as commercial salmon "trollers" or pleasure cruisers; there are various configurations. Most Vashon's have a hand-laid fiberglass hull but I recently learned that PCV foam core was optional (mine is solid). Not many Vashon trawlers were constructed so information on them is relatively scarce. I corresponded with the builder a year or two ago. There are a few brochure scans in this thread, which may be of interest to you.

Everyone who has worked on my boat comments that it is solidly built. Vashons have a full-displacement hull and are most sea-worthy. Most were outfitted with a 18HP SABB diesel but mine was re-powered with a 29HP Volvo Penta and swings a 16x8 heavy thrust three-bladed prop.

Enjoy Puffin and feel free to share more details about her on the forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherpa.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	40141  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #33
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
The only sure way to never make a mistake boating is never go boating. Mistakes are the price we pay to having fun on the water. We just hope it's less than a boat buck when it happens.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
The only sure way to never make a mistake boating is never go boating.
But then that would be the biggest mistake of all.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote