Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #21
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
Yep, if I can't figure it out it will be North Harbor time. I do not mind doing that.
They are great teachers, maybe even as good as Bob Smith.

BTW, in addition to the good suggestions you've received:
  • For all the talk about weight balance, remember the specific gravity of SS is between 7.4 - 8.0. Which means the part in the water weighs about 15% less than the part in the ER if weighed immersed on a scale - which nobody does.
  • Was your prop balanced and trued?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
One of the reasons to have a dripless is so if the shaft gets bent/tweaked it will still hold a seal as the gland moves up and down. Also a long shaft over time tend to droop, and a shaft does not have to be perfectly align which is more based on the RPM and load. The Eagle shaft move up and down enough that you can see the gland move, but itís a slow turning, max 500 rpm, 2 1/2Ē and 11 ft long, however the tail ends are right one.

We run the Eagle bend shaft in the shop on a lath up to 3,000 rpm with no vibration. Also the shop would not guaranty if they machined the shaft that it would be any better from end to end, and over time it would droop again. So been running it for 15+ years with NO oil or water leaks. So before you spend all kinds of money evaluate if itís really necessary. I am not saying you should not try to correct, but at least evaluate if itís worth the time and money.

I will say the alignment should be with the boat in the water after a couple of days by some one that know how!

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Opps ...
In my engine alignment post/s I forgot about the PSS seals. For those one would need to 1/2 the weight of the whole shaft or the shaft ahead of the intermediate bearing or most fwd bearing.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote