Old 01-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #41
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Another reason for not prying with pliers or screwdrivers. is you MAY ding the edges or the sealing face of the cover plate resulting in a leak/weep when the plate does not pull flat. Those gaskets are too thin to take up much of a ding.

With those bent nose pliers a piece of scrap wood or plastic, thin, would prevent the dings.

Just something to watch out for.
Good suggestion, I had an old wooden yardstick that I cut into 4" pieces. I keep a couple with my spare impellers and special pliers. The impellers pop right out and the housing remains pristine.

I use these pliers from Bayshore Marine Engines.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Oakdale NY
Vessel Name: Into The Blue
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 43
Used the Bump Method

I had my first experience with a really "stuck" impeller on my Yanmar 440. It just beat me up, and I almost resolved to removing the entire water pump to work on it on a bench. I do use the impeller pulling tool from Bayshore Marine (pictured from LarryM). I've had this tool for years and if you do not have the the room for the Jasco, it works like a charm.

I went through some suggestions on this thread and tried a combination of ideas. After about an hour of no movement at all, I sprayed WD-40 into the shaft area and let it sit for the night. The next morning I sprayed some more WD-40 and tried again to remove it, with no success. So I then went to the suggestion of something I've never heard of - "Bump the engine". On first try, there was no movement, but after a few rounds of "bumping" and prying with the Bayshore Marine tool (using a board for a fulcrum), I could see some movement (like a 1/4"). Finally, it gave way and slid out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote