Old 08-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Stop Solenoid question...

When stopping my port engine my solenoid continues to click when I am pushing the switch AFTER the engine stops. Clicking stops when I let go. It's never done that before and the starboard doesn't do it. Engine stops fine. Sign of the solenoid going bad? Anything in particular I should check?
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I suspect it clicks when the engine is coasting down to a stop, but you can't hear it then, right?

Put a voltmeter on the solenoid terminals and watch the voltage while it clicks. If it just varies a half volt or so then the wiring is probably ok and it is likely a solenoid problem. If it varies more, then the wiring probably has a bad connection which is letting the solenoid drop out and then try to pull back in causing the clicking sound.

Check all connections back to the stop switch and beyond for good voltage while holding the stop switch down.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Guru

Thanks DJ, appreciate you giving some direction. I'm, um, electrically challenged. Among other things.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Be sure to check and clean connections. Stop solenoids and any associated relays are notorious for dirty connections causing things like you described. Start simple and go from there.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
Guru

Also check to see if the solenoid has moved. Some are adjustable and if it moved to where the plunger cannot be pulled all the way in it can release and re engage (which sounds like what you are describing)
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Easiest and cheapest thing is to change out the relay that energizes the stop solenoid. They're automotive quality and available at auto parts stores.

Presuming, of course, that your system is anything like mine...
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
You didn’t mention engine type. I have had bad luck with non OEM stop solenoids on our 6BT Cummins. Twice they failed in less than 6 months. The failure mode was the leaked back through the connection terminal.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Dave:

Don't Cummins engines use an energize to run solenoid, not a stop solenoid?

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Dave:

David
I don't know about all Cummins, but ours is energize to run.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Guru

Thanks everyone. The solenoid is on a 1987 Ford Lehman SP135. Stop's the engine fine...just keeps on clicking until I let off the push switch.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Dave:

David
There is an available "European option" which uses a stop solenoid and fuel is always on. At least that used to be the case.
The power on solenoids are different depending on which injection pump you have.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
CEC

City: SF
It could also be the button.
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Guru

Thanks CEC, sort of laughing about it after reading your post....it very well could be. I know I'm not the only one who overlooks the possible simple solutions to things.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Thanks everyone. The solenoid is on a 1987 Ford Lehman SP135. Stop's the engine fine...just keeps on clicking until I let off the push switch.
When you say it keeps on clicking do you mean you hold the switch down continually and the solenoid clicks multiple times?

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yes it could be the weitch itself. I had a stop switch go bad.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:40 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
When you say it keeps on clicking do you mean you hold the switch down continually and the solenoid clicks multiple times?

Ken
Yes, it continues clicking after the engine stops as long as I am holding the push switch in. Starboard side does not.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #17
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Yes, it continues clicking after the engine stops as long as I am holding the push switch in. Starboard side does not.
Ok. It should click only once when you push the button. The relay and the solenoid should stay energized the whole time you hold the button. If you have a normal Lehman setup there should be a relay that gets energized by the button which in turn energizes the stop solenoid. Although I suppose it's possible you have a direct from switch to solenoid setup - it is not the best setup.

The solenoid itself (which is what actually pulls the stop lever) doesn't make much noise so I'm guessing you're hearing the relay clicking. I think you have either a bad relay or poor connections to it. When it switches the current to the solenoid the voltage drops too low to hold the relay and it releases. When it releases the voltage goes back up and causes it to pull back in and the cycle repeats. One thing going for you is you have twins so you can compare. And you can try it while the engine isn't running so you can see and meter what's happening.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #18
CEC

City: SF
When my button went bad it was from vibration I believe. The nut wiggled loose a bit and the soldered connections on the back were wiggled loose. Simply touching the button a little would cause the clicking noise. Any arcing connection could cause the relay to fire off and on. I started using the anti-vibration liquid on the threads for things like the linkage and screws that connect the wires. Its almost on everything that gets loose or rattles right now and its helping a lot - from the windshield screws, Bimini screws, some rail connection screws ext.. I'm using that blue stuff that you let dry on the threads before screwing back on.. Anyways, I hope you get it resolved and at least the parts are not too expensive for this one.. Good luck!
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Holland, Michigan
Vessel Name: Emerald Isle
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 32
Yes, it depends on which fuel pump is installed. I think the multi-piston (like Bosch) pumps have stop solenoids and ones like mine with the Lucas CAV pump us "run" solenoids. Which brings up a question of mine. I noticed that the original stop lever is still there. I want to eliminate the run solenoid and replace it with a pull cable, like in the old days. Is there a quick and easy way to disable the run solenoid? With a run solenoid if you lose electrics the engine shuts off. Happened to me once and I don't like it. Any suggestions?
garycasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Unrelated except that it happened to me on my 1972 Grand Banks. When somebody mentioned a stuck button, I was reminded of my issues with STARTER buttons. One stuck in 2012 and burned up a stater. I replaced all four of them (flybridge and lower helm).
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote