Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #21

Our boat came with bow.
We added stern.
BEST investment we could make!
Which is better? Both.
There have been times the bow "saves the day", but just last week we had a strong cross wind comming into the dock and it was the stern that allowed us to "place" the stern exactly where we needed it at the speed my admiral wanted it and then she walked the line up to the bow as I perfectly backed in.
In our case, the stern thruster is newer and stronger.
Love both and now I can focus on having FUN and not on figuring out or worrying about non ideal docking conditions.

pacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #22

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
We have both bow & stern thrusters on INFINITY. I'm spoilt now, I love it

nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #23

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Doh! Getting used to this new iPhone now is more of a challenge... Anyway, meant to continue my last post by saying; if you you have the opportunity for both bow & stern thrusters, do it!! I promise you. You will not regret any part of the decision.
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #24

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
I'm with Andy on having both if available. Sea Eagle has both a bow and stern thruster and although I find the bow thruster to be more useful, I do sometimes use the stern thruster. The gap in the breakwater at our current marina is very narrow (about 1' clearance on either side of the boat). Tapping the bow or stern thruster to keep the boat aligned when passing through the breakwater works much better than using he rudder (the stern will then swing out and try to kiss the pilings).

YMMV,
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #25

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

I was talking about prop thrust against a hard-over rudder (or partially over rudder). That creates the same sideways force as a stern thruster and will move the stern of the boat left or right as needed.

BUT.... this also induces forward movement of the boat as well. Which is where intertia comes in. When the operator really understands and knows how to take advantage of inertia, which is as much the tendency of an object to resist movement as much as it is the tendency of an object to keep moving once it is, then it and the thrust being directed by the rudder can make a boat do whatever the operator wants it to do.
There is no question that a very good captain can use inertia to assist him in maneuvering his/her boat. But inertia and prop thrust often offer a single shot at your target (strong winds/currents). not to mention undue strain on often fragile transmissions.

I have seen too many single engine trawlers get pushed off target by winds and strong currents. Some people don't like the headache....others want the capability of single handling their vessel while their passengers are safely inside the cabin. Both types of thrusters offer this extra layer of safety and ease.

Marin, we'll have to agree to disagree on the value of a relatively inexpensive stern thruster on a single engine trawler.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Marin, we'll have to agree to disagree on the value of a relatively inexpensive stern thruster on a single engine trawler.
No disagreement. If a boater has one or can afford to install one he should use it. If we had one on our boat, even with two engines, we'd use it. Same with a bow thruster.

My only point is that if you don't have one it's not the end of the world. There are techniques to accomplish the same result, but they do require more understanding and practice than pushing a button or lever.

99.9 percent of the boats I see when we're out don't have stern thrusters and from my observation they all seem to do just fine when docking, be it calm conditions or adverse winds and/or currents.

So I think it's a great tool if you have one but I don't think it's a necessary tool for precise maneuvering if you don't.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote