Old 12-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #21
FF
Guru

Stern Thruster Suggestions?

Would you be swiveling them down into the water?

DC motors are reversable so there would not be a need to swivel , unless you are into vectored thrust.

MY usual rule of thumb is 20lbs of thrust per hp , 25 from the best prop in existiance,

200lbs from 5hp seems high , and 5hp figures to big amps at 80A - 12V per hp.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #22

RE: Stern Thruster Suggestions?

Quote:
FF wrote:
Snip>>Would you be swiveling them down into the water?<<

My thought was to swivel out of water/dismount when not in use.

Snip>>MY usual rule of thumb is 20lbs of thrust per hp , 25 from the best prop in existiance, 200lbs from 5hp seems high <<

Just numbers and ideas... you can do more research. I've no interest in quibbling about specs. The concept seem viable to me. If it leads you to more possible ideas I'm glad.

trawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:33 AM   #23
FF
Guru

Most boats already carry an outboard or two for a dink.

Seems that if someone built an outboard bracket that could be used secondarily as a thruster it would only require some cables, for throttle and shift.

A 20 hp OB could make 200lbs of thrust (with the right prop) and still be aviliable for dink work.

FF
Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

I dunno..... Sounds like a real pain the butt to me. To use an outboard motor as a thruster means you have to go aft, lower the motor into the water, start the motor, shut it off when you're done maneuvering, raise the motor out of the water and if you're conscientious about outboard maintenance, flush it out with fresh water. To say nothing of having to snake incredibly long throttle and shift cables through the boat's interior to the helm station.

If a boater feels the need for a stern thruster, it would seem that the hassle of trying to use the dinghy's outboard would soon outweigh the expense of installing a purpose-built stern thruster like the Cap Sante where if you need it you just push a button at the helm station.

The outboard motor idea would work but it seems to be a real Rube Goldberg method of solving a problem that's already been solved in a much more simple and hassle-free manner.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:06 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"The outboard motor idea would work but it seems to be a real Rube Goldberg method of solving a problem that's already been solved in a much more simple and hassle-free manner."

Perhaps , but as I see the advantages , the OB could easily have remote start , an electric throttle and electric reversing.And is onboard and maintained any way.

A hand full of slim wires and 20-to 50? hp is on tap,

POWER+ THRUST as good as a big buck Hydraulic setup at 1/100 the cost,and complexity.

In electric each HP in 12V is about 80A so a 20hp thruster would need huge electric cables , to power the unit , for the minor time limits of most electric units.

Then the smoke comes out .

Caviat Emptor,

FF
Old 12-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

RE: Stern Thruster Suggestions?

Has anyone looked at or installed the thrusters made by sideshift?* The stern thruster application appears to be interesting.

http://www.sideshift.com/

Tom Jones
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -

Their stern thruster idea is similar in basic concept to what Cap Sante has done. However, one difference is that the Cap Sante's propeller is enclosed in a tunnel and the unit can be mounted partially above the waterline and still develop maximum thrust due to the tunnel design. So it's ideal for boats with very shallow-draft transoms like GBs, CHBs, Nordic Tugs, etc.

We don't have any sort of thruster on our boat nor do we intend to get one, so I'm not saying the Cap Sante is better than any other stern thruster on the market. But from the couple I've seen on boats, it's a very clean installation.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote