Old 05-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #21

Thanks for the response. Appreciated the pictures.

Stanley Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #22

Thanks for the response. Americans
are built about 30 miles from me. Nice Boats, high quality construction.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #23

My main reason for wanting a stern thruster is the added safety when docking in a side wind. In addition it may allow me to single hand boat which I wont do know.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #24

Thanks for the response. I have looked at other thruster but prefer to stay with the side power to match my existing bow thruster. I will try Cap Sante for their package deal, as they are only 50 miles from where I'am located.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #25

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my request. Prop walk is fine until I'm in a cross wind of more then 10 knots and then it gets exciting. Have a great summer.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #26

I have found that in most cases sail boat respond much better to their rudder then power boats.In addition the deep keel helps resist side movement in a cross wind. My boat is a single screw and while I can prop walk it under most circumstances, when in a side wind of more than 10 knots it can get exciting at times. I see a stern thruster as being a safety device.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #27

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
If you are so close to Cap Sante, I would contact North Harbor Diesel. I have been extremely pleased and impressed with their work and the people that work there.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin,
For single screw guys I would think backing in winds or breezes not to mention current would be greatly enhanced w a stern thruster. I'd sure like one while backing down as I set up the anchor for a set. With the wind and current working on the boat backing can sometimes be impossible. I think the best solution is to set up your bow to be blown downwind and make sure you present the right (correct) side to the wind. One way works far better than the other. ie ... If you pull to stbd in reverse give the port side to the wind. The bow will go downwind and the stern prop walk should keep the stern going in the same direction so you wind up going a bit sideways but under control and get the job done w/o much cuss'in.

So I'd like to have a stern thruster but it ai'nt worth no $7000 to me.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
So I'd like to have a stern thruster but it ai'nt worth no $7000 to me.
I'd feel the same way, but our boat came with one and, although seldom used, its nice to have it at times.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #30

City: Ponte Vedra Beach
Vessel Name: Junior
Vessel Model: Albin A27 Sport (no aft cabin)
Dated thread, but I thought I'd add a bit. We finally installed a Lewmar stern thruster on the Albin A27. Single screw, huge keel (at least 6 or 7 times the size of the rudder) with little to no steerage when backing down. I back the boat into the slip on the intercoastal waterway here in Florida. That often means both a tidal current and a sea breeze.

While I would never discount the importance of skill and practice, I've had literally hundreds of opportunities to turn the rudder stop to stop with no directional change in the boat while backing down. Pre stern thruster, the solution on the Albin was to set the boat in the correct attitude going forward and then back down. The stern thruster has made our life so much easier and I am not ashamed to admit it (at least when running the Albin).

BTW... we did the installation ourselves and the total cost for the Lewmar 140TT was in the $2k range. The A27 is short (27') and light (6500 lbs) so a small thruster was sufficient.
skiprocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Not having a stern thruster, I've been known to use the bow thruster when steering "backing down."
Old 05-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #32
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
If ya wanna call me a puss for using both the bow and stern thrusters....go ahead!

A week ago, we were pulling away from a packed dock at Chatter Box falls. Four boats were side tied in front of us with no more than six feet between us and them. Behind us, two forty plus sailboats side tied with maybe 5 feet to work with. Nudging in and out the gear and working the thrusters we departed with a standing ovation from the peanut gallery. We also had our dingy side tied to us.

Made this rookie look like a pro, so yep, I love the thrusters. Next ones would be hydraulic for sure, cuz sooner or later were gonna gain another 8-10 feet.

" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote