Steering help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rswett

Vessel Make
Ta Chiao CT 35
I have a dual helm, Wagner 700 hydraulic steering system on my Ta Chiao 35 with twins. The boat is new to me and was out of the water for 8 years. After reinstalling the fly bridge (removed for transport) i had a hard time bleeding the system. After checking the steering ram (piston) i found it was leaking. I am looking for info on rebuilding the steering ram. I understand that Wagner is no longer in business however, I am unsure if parts are available? Could a local hydraulic shop reseal this or are the orings universal?

If the cylinder is leaking at the shaft seal it is likely not an o-ring, it is more than likely a U cup or lip seal but having said that most hydraulic seals are common and likely your local hydraulic shop can rebuild it for you or give you the kit required. They will want to know what kind of fluid you are using so that the seal material is compatible. Good luck!

Some of these cylinder seals are just an 'o' ring. I have an old Wagner with the 7" stroke x 1.25" piston. The seals were all 'o'rings. It works because the pressures are low and the speeds are low. I resealed mine about 20 yrs ago after it was 15-18 years old.

They are quite simple. If there is more to it simply take it to the hydraulic shop. If there is a u cup they will have it. but I'll bet it is just 'o' rings.

Hi The seals could be dry . Paul Wagner's son is still around (auto-nav)he could tell you a good shop. Any good hyd shop should be able to fix it. If it is a "t" ram you might check the barrel bolts aren't lose 4 of them on each one. It happens from time to time. Also salt deposits on the shaft can roughen up the finish on the shaft.
Also you should have a valve in line cross over between rams so you could use emergy steering tiller it helps when trying to remove air in the system you have just worked on. If you don't have one you should think about it.
Thanks Don

How did you go about replacing the O rings? I have a 700 series Wagner that is leaking in the steering shaft.

I had the Wagner 700 ram rebuilt by northeast hydraulics in kittery Maine and it works great with no leaks. I think they charged $130. I didn't have them do the steering station unit yet but they said they could do those as well. My upper station is leaking a little so I will have them rebuild it at the end of the season. Good luck Jerry and let me know how you make out.

Back
Top Bottom