Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #21

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
I'll be very interested to hear what you find when you check that port engine impeller. My bet is that it is damaged and has a few blades missing. Your exhaust situation strongly suggests you've either got a blockage or that raw water pump just isn't hacking it. In case you don't have one already, I'd also suggest you invest in one of those remote temperature guns. You shoot it at whatever you want to measure and it shows temperature with high degree accuracy. I just picked one up at Lowe's for about $30 and wonder how I got along without it before! Think it would be very useful in tracking down your problem. Good luck.

Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #22

City: Columbia SC
Vessel Name: Classy Lady
Vessel Model: Alaskan 46, #14
Steam in the exaust Lehmans

Ahoy GeneO, I think I have an idea why there is difference in th exhausts. The two elbows are quite different & the welded one will insert the water int5o the exhaust in a very different manner. The cast elbow has the water injection on the top, and there is a welded plate under the water inlet which spreads the water and mixes the water with the gasses. So the results downstream are necessarily different. If it were me, I would call Bob Smith & see if there are cast elbows available & get their advice. Personally I don't like the welded elbow. Gayle

skipper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper2 View Post
Ahoy GeneO, I think I have an idea why there is difference in th exhausts. The two elbows are quite different & the welded one will insert the water int5o the exhaust in a very different manner. The cast elbow has the water injection on the top, and there is a welded plate under the water inlet which spreads the water and mixes the water with the gasses. So the results downstream are necessarily different. If it were me, I would call Bob Smith & see if there are cast elbows available & get their advice. Personally I don't like the welded elbow. Gayle
I agree that the difference could be the two different exhaust elbows but don't rule out the SS one. Ours which is SS, came from American Diesel whch they sell. We also have a SS exhaust elbow on our Northern Lights generator. Both get inspected and have been on the engines for 6 plus years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 045.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	24698  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: EASTHAMPTON, NEW YORK
Vessel Name: REFUGE
Vessel Model: Performance Trawler 35
Perhaps you could also check the intake thru-hull, seacock and strainer for possible blockage which would inhibit water flow to the raw water pump.
Bensjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I agree that the difference could be the two different exhaust elbows but don't rule out the SS one. Ours which is SS, came from American Diesel whch they sell. We also have a SS exhaust elbow on our Northern Lights generator. Both get inspected and have been on the engines for 6 plus years.
Larry, I love the red covers on the ends of your hose clamps. Compliments the Lehman red perfectly......... (I have them too )
Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Larry, I love the red covers on the ends of your hose clamps. Compliments the Lehman red perfectly......... (I have them too )
Thanks. And as you know they also cut down on the amount of blood that gets shed that doesn't compliment the FL.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #27

Great comments, all.
I will check the impeller today.
Any ideas why the hoses on the port side have no pressure when the engine is running at normal temp?
GeneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Is the RW pump(S) in good working order? More to it than the impeller.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #29
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Great comments, all.
I will check the impeller today.
Any ideas why the hoses on the port side have no pressure when the engine is running at normal temp?
I was wondering the same thing when I saw your pics?? You shouldn't be able to squeeze the hoses flat with the engine running that easy. As soon as you pinch close the hose, water pressure should build up on the pump side. I'm guessing there is either not very much pressure out of the raw water pump or the spray ring in the exhaust elbow is rusted out or nonexistent.

Is this the stainless side of the cast exhaust elbow?

I would start with the raw water pump. Even if the impeller looks good, the pump maybe worn or water inlet partially blocked!! That is the most suspicious to me!!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #30

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
I see you have the exhaust temp. alarm. I have them, too, as well as the Aqualarm flow alarms.
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper2 View Post
Ahoy GeneO, I think I have an idea why... I would call Bob Smith & see if there are cast elbows available & get their advice. Personally I don't like the welded elbow. Gayle
I got cast elbows from fredwarner1 on Ebay. I`m sure Bob Smith/American Diesel has them too. Take care, there are 2 sizes, from memory 3.5 and 4 inches.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #32
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Steam in the exhaust, always the elbows.
Nothing else to say.....................
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #33

City: PNW
Vessel Name: EXILE
Vessel Model: HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
Perhaps not relevant here but something to keep in mind is that most SP135s were supplied with 160* thermostats. Our experience was excessive "steam," no doubt influenced somewhat by ambient weather, and an oil sheen on the water noted immed. after shut down. The SP135 should have a 180* (as I recall) thermostat which once installed nearly eliminated all the steam and the oil sheen is gone. These 2 factors are often attributable to the engine not reaching optimal running temp.

petdoc4u is offline   Reply With Quote