Old 09-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: SEAFOOD
Vessel Model: Striker 44 Sportfish
David - looks like you are on the right path: seek the root cause of he failure first.

Sunchaser is correct: the small sponsons on a cat hull don't allow for lots of machinery space, and airflow is often the first casualty.

We have several hundred NL gensets in the Caribbean charter cat market, and with proper application (air, fuel, exhaust systems properly handled at installation) we rarely have casualties. I have seen many small sets like yours with 25,000 hrs on them, with only maintenance items being needed.

As well, I have seen applications where the engine room was over 150F (no ventilation, hot day and direct sun on the hull) and it gets hotter inside the soundshield.

I'm not going to say Taiyo ends never break, it's just not frequent.

First thing I would look at is the air inlet (gen end cooling and combustion air) at the rear of the soundshield. The next would be the air exhaust port on the LH side of the soundshield...if air cannot get in or out its a recipe for trouble.
pacopico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #22

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacopico View Post
David - looks like you are on the right path: seek the root cause of he failure first.

Sunchaser is correct: the small sponsons on a cat hull don't allow for lots of machinery space, and airflow is often the first casualty.

We have several hundred NL gensets in the Caribbean charter cat market, and with proper application (air, fuel, exhaust systems properly handled at installation) we rarely have casualties. I have seen many small sets like yours with 25,000 hrs on them, with only maintenance items being needed.

As well, I have seen applications where the engine room was over 150F (no ventilation, hot day and direct sun on the hull) and it gets hotter inside the soundshield.

I'm not going to say Taiyo ends never break, it's just not frequent.

First thing I would look at is the air inlet (gen end cooling and combustion air) at the rear of the soundshield. The next would be the air exhaust port on the LH side of the soundshield...if air cannot get in or out its a recipe for trouble.

Thanks so much. Again, all great advice, and no the dealer tech has not been out to diagnose yet. I can confirm that the round vent cover with slots in it is all charred. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1473631941.760700.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	56282
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: SEAFOOD
Vessel Model: Striker 44 Sportfish
Is that charred or corroded? Also - take a look at the wet exhaust elbow...curious to its' condition.
pacopico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #24

Update from Gulf Coast Marine Electric: windings end needs replacing, but worse, engine cylinders were frozen and had salt water in them. It's going to be a total rebuild for about $6000. Which leads to my next question: could the failing and frozen engine cause saltwater to blow out of the motor and into the windings? The tech seemed to indicate there was salt crust on the windings.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
In the picture in post 22, what is that brown hose that ends at the generator vent openings? Could that have squirted salt water in there?
Normally there is no coolant tie between engine and generator ends.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
In the picture in post 22, what is that brown hose that ends at the generator vent openings? Could that have squirted salt water in there?

I'm sure someone here knows. I do not.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #27
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Is gennie mounted down low in a sponson? If so if gennie was dead and boat in service it is possible to get water to intrude. Depends on the install details.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #28
Guru

City: Miami
Stator failure?- Northern Lights 6kw

I think ski is on to something. Is the hatch above this genny watertight? The photo you posted shows traces of saltwater corrosion in the pan and mounts. This has been occurring for a while. I think you should find the saltwater leak first. Air intake could also be drawing some salt if the drip is from above.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Update from Gulf Coast Marine Electric: windings end needs replacing, but worse, engine cylinders were frozen and had salt water in them. It's going to be a total rebuild for about $6000. Which leads to my next question: could the failing and frozen engine cause saltwater to blow out of the motor and into the windings? The tech seemed to indicate there was salt crust on the windings.
My opinion...

Bag it and buy a new generator.

In my opinion, unless you are getting VERY good labor rates your $6,000 rebuild is either going to be just partial, or the bill is going to be higher than you think.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #30
Guru

City: Vermont
I tend to agree with Kevin. $6k must be approaching the cost of a new genny.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I tend to agree with Kevin. $6k must be approaching the cost of a new genny.
new one is $13K
Old 11-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Be VERY wary of a $6,000 generator end replacement plus rebuild of the prime mover.

NL parts are not cheap. Expect the wholesale price on the generator end to be something over $2500 alone. Thats not counting labor, or the engine parts.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
new one is $13K

Wow, I stand corrected.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Be VERY wary of a $6,000 generator end replacement plus rebuild of the prime mover.

NL parts are not cheap. Expect the wholesale price on the generator end to be something over $2500 alone. Thats not counting labor, or the engine parts.
Agreed. $6k doesn't add up unless this is a slam dunk one day job with free and easy(read here on the shop bench like) access. Then again maybe you are that big of a customer that your shop is going to extend their parts discount to you and discount their labor rates. If that's the case awesome for you. I'd expect closer to $10k myself but good luck going forward and for your sake I hope $6k is correct.

$13k new sounds right in the strike zone for a NL replacement as I recently priced new marine genies.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #35
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
new one is $13K
I faced a similar situation a few years ago with my Kohler 9KW that failed due to a poor installation. A new 9KW Kohler was $9K.

Since I could see the cost of the rebuild approaching that number I went with a new unit.

I also looked at replacing my toasted Kohler with something else. I still have those quotes (unit only, no install):

Kohler: $9K
Onan: $13K
Westerbeke: $15K
NL: Almost $17K
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #36

It is there on the shop bench already. The stator is $2000 from Broward Armature. I suppose $6k is my optimism. I'm still waiting on the full quote. I suppose I'd take $8k versus $13K for a new one but not much more. A new one might be in my future.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It is there on the shop bench already. The stator is $2000 from Broward Armature. I suppose $6k is my optimism. I'm still waiting on the full quote. I suppose I'd take $8k versus $13K for a new one but not much more. A new one might be in my future.

Money things are never fun, but I'd hate to see you put six or eight thousand dollars in this unit, only to have to spend more sooner rather than later.

For me its simple. If the cost to fix something comes to 1/2 the new price I buy new.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Money things are never fun, but I'd hate to see you put six or eight thousand dollars in this unit, only to have to spend more sooner rather than later.

For me its simple. If the cost to fix something comes to 1/2 the new price I buy new.

I'm thinking the same thing...
Old 11-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #39
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
David

In a another thread an owner is wrestling with problems stemming from a rebuild of a Cat 3208. As suggested, rebuilds for gensets have a price breakoff. A total genset rebuild by a certified NL shop offering an as new warranty may be worth looking at provided the cost is no more than the 60% range.

Don't forget to insure adequate fresh air and leak proof surroundings though.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #40
Guru

BTW, was it ever determined where the water came from that ruined it in the first place?