Starting Generator After 4 Years Idle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is starting to sound like a build up of algae or crud in the bottom of the tank clogging up the pickup tube.

This is starting to sound like a build up of algae or crud in the bottom of the tank clogging up the pickup tube.

Maybe crud is in the lines between the primary filter and the fuel pump but I doubt the tanks are causing this. The tanks were cleaned two years ago and the Racor primary is new as of two days ago; the old one didn’t look bad, but I changed it anyway. Also, I run fuel from the saddle tanks through a filter and into a clean day tank—that’s the only fuel that goes to the engines.

Still, I’ve been wondering about those fuel lines downstream of the Racor.

:banghead::banghead:
After reading Ski's post, I now recall that my Onan 4kw, on a Kobuta engine, lost its electric fuel pump with similar symptoms. Yes, it does happen. The replacement of the electric fuel pump was simple. Good luck.

If the fuel pump you have is a cylindrical can shape, it is a Purolater/Facet pump readily available online instead of WB's insane pricing.

Thanks much, Archie; I do have the cylindrical pump. I had a Westerbeke in our sailboat and recall the gold-plated pricing when parts were necessary (paid $15 for a tiny fuel filter yesterday).

I’m going to try running the fuel pump again today with a jumper. I may not have bled the system enough after changing filters yesterday.

I’d also like to clean out the fuel lines between the Racor and fuel pump but don’t know how to approach that. Air pressure?

You can take off the little cartridge filter, put a catch basin under it and run the pump to check the flow. It will tell you if you have a blockage but not if discharge pressure is low. Another data point.
Good luck.

Consider blowing out the fuel line to the tank, it may be partially clogged.

Be cautious of a lot of cranking if it doesn't start because you can fill the exhaust system and drown the engine. Clos the seacock if you must crank a lot but Diesels usually start quickly or not at all.

We have liftoff!

Consider blowing out the fuel line to the tank, it may be partially clogged.

Be cautious of a lot of cranking if it doesn't start because you can fill the exhaust system and drown the engine. Clos the seacock if you must crank a lot but Diesels usually start quickly or not at all.

You and Capitaine R win the diagnostic door prize.

I woke up at 4 a.m. and realized that if I disconnected both the supply and return hoses, I could submerge both in a container of diesel and verify that the pump worked. I did and the pump sucked the fuel up quickly. (Both hoses were dry when I cracked them.) In the process, I was able to verify that the system was at least bled between both hose ends.

Then I took the lid off the Racor and blew through the supply hose. All clear. Then I reassembled the Racor and blew. Not much effort and I could hear gurgling in the manifold. Then I blew through the return line—same result.

I connected the hoses, fired it up and it runs like a top. So, maybe a light blockage between the manifold and Racor? Or may be a weak pump that couldn’t pull fuel or poor self priming?

I really appreciate all the good advice that helped me resolve this, with a special hat tip to Ski. Using a jumper to run the pump would just not have occurred to me.

Now . . . on to the Lehmans!

I've been following this saga! - Congrats!!

Greetings,
Mr.99. Woo-hoo! You have ignition!

200w.gif

Reactions: Art
Back
Top Bottom