Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Guru
 
City: Pensacola
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 748
Starting battery for genset.

My Generator Starting battery died. It was a CAT Maint free 5760.

I'm looking to replace and need some rudder.

Generator is a 8.5 Westerbeke

Want a wet battery Maint free and a starter battery.

Recommendations? Size? CCA?
__________________
Advertisement

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
Figure out the case size ( car 24, 27 ,31 ----,4D, 8D ) whatever and go to sears.

Should be about $100 if its car sized
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Guru
 
Edelweiss's Avatar
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,834
Hmmm. . . . Seems like this topic was just recently discussed on another thread??

As I recall the point was, it doesn't take much to start a small generator. Just about any full sized car battery will do. A good suggestion which I agree with was, to put in a larger starting battery that also could be used in an emergency to start your main engines, if you have the space?

I had the space, took out the smaller battery and put an Interstate wet 4D which is now my backup for starting the mains.

Just about any of the major brand batteries will give you good service. I've used many different brands with good success. However, I've standardized all my batteries on Interstate only because of availability, price and excellent performance. I get a bulk discount and they deliver. In the boat I use Interstate Batteries 4D wets and cycle them out at seven years. Even after I cycle them out, I bring them back to the shop and as long as they're kept up, will usually last another 3 or 4 years in other equipment. I hope I am answering your question.

IMHO
Larry B
__________________
Larry B
Careful . . .I Have a Generator and I'm not afraid to use it !
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,914
Have a 20 year old 8kw Westerbeke and a regular old Group 24 starting battery spins her up fine.

Best I can determine from the complicated conversions between amp hrs and CCAs and what American Diesel told me...a decent Group 24 should be fine for a Lehman also...I find it hard to justify going that small...but that's as near as I can figure.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
MC Escher's Avatar
 
City: Central Ohio
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 151
I am too new to know if this a useful suggestion, but I figure it couldn't hurt and if it isn't helpful then you can ignore me easily enough.

I have had a lot of success over the years, in high stress application, with Optima batteries.

They run from the low one hundred dollar range to the high two hundreds.

The main advantage they have is that instead of flat plates in a single enclosure they use spiral wound wires in an individual cell. They actually look sort of like a "six pack".

I've used them in drag cars pulling up to 2g's (more impressive than it sounds) and off-road vehicles that duplicate the effect of a moderately enthusiastic brawl in a standard military drinking establishment.

I am ASSUMING that this would imply good durability in marine conditions.

Here's what one looks like. Hope you find the info useful:

__________________
If God didn't want me to walk on the grass, he wouldn't have left it on the ground.
MC Escher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Captain K's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 288
I use a group 27 12v I bought at WalMart for $65 about 4 years ago. So far so good...no problems starting my 8kW Kohler.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Russell Clifton's Avatar
 
City: Marysville, Wa.
Country: usa
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 284
It is probably a group 57 battery. You could get one at most auto supply stores, NAPA, Carquest, etc. Take your old one with you just to be sure, plus you will need to turn in a old one for the exchange.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,573
Edelweiss, I started the prior thread. Onan specified a 150 ah battery for my Onan 6.5 genset. Seemed huge for a little 3cyl diesel (?Kubota) but I did it anyway, the new one is 1150CCA, unsurprisingly it pre heats and starts impressively. It also has its own 25w solar panel, with regulator to keep it fit and healthy.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Guru
 
City: Pensacola
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 748
All, thank you for the great info. Psneeld, I was thinking along your lines and appreciate the info.

As for the prior thread, it was more about amperage and alternators then a segment on Starting battery for a genset. If my question offended anyone (Edelweiss..) or seemed like I was ignorant to a prior thread that was similar but not really, mea culpa.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,981
Batteries Plus - Some 500++ Stores – “Xtreme” wet cell batteries... manufactured by East Penn Co. http://www.dekabatteries.com/ . Much battery equipment... reasonable prices and good service! I always use wet cell and make sure "sealed" batts still have way to check and fill w/ distilled water. Keep em filled and they keep on chugging!

BTW, just for S&G, thought I might mention – I’ve a 1999 NAPA 27 batt still starting my 7.5 kw Koehler gasser just fine. Batt is sulfating on + terminal after 14 yrs service, but, plenty power still. Guess I should change – however it is fun to see just how long she'll stay alive! I keep a new 27 isolated and fully charged on board at all times! Just in case - LOL

Good Luck - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Edelweiss, I started the prior thread. Onan specified a 150 ah battery for my Onan 6.5 genset. Seemed huge for a little 3cyl diesel (?Kubota) but I did it anyway, the new one is 1150CCA, unsurprisingly it pre heats and starts impressively. It also has its own 25w solar panel, with regulator to keep it fit and healthy.
Bruce, I'm surprised Onan specified a 150ah battery for your 6.5 unit. As luck would have it I have just replaced my Onan gen battery today. I have a 7KW model and the specs show a minimum CCA rating of 360amps. I went for a 100amp(CCA 720amp) to be on the safe side. Your 1150 CCA battery would give your 6.5kw generator the shock of its life.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #12
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Bruce, I'm surprised Onan specified a 150ah battery .. .Your 1150 CCA battery would give your 6.5kw generator the shock of its life.
Andy,the Onan has accepted its new friend and is no longer "spilling its seed". The old battery had similar dimensions, maybe CCA increased with technology. It is overkill, but is Onan specified, and the original IG battery box is the right size. It would start the Lehmans no sweat, so is good back up. Some PO had it running the 12v fridge, not so good if you flattened it and needed the genset, though the beer would be cold.
Art, that battery maker might give you free one if you tell them how long it has lasted. Amazing performance.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
AH is frequently a measure of the battery ability to discharge slowly over time , as used to compare deep cycle batts.Usually at a 20hour (till dead ) rate.

CCA or the bogus MCCA is cold cranking amps , the real measure of a battery used to start engines.

Almost every car engine will have the CCA to start a noisemaker just fine.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Guru
 
City: Pensacola
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Batteries Plus - Some 500++ Stores – “Xtreme” wet cell batteries... manufactured by East Penn Co. http://www.dekabatteries.com/ . Much battery equipment... reasonable prices and good service! I always use wet cell and make sure "sealed" batts still have way to check and fill w/ distilled water. Keep em filled and they keep on chugging!

BTW, just for S&G, thought I might mention – I’ve a 1999 NAPA 27 batt still starting my 7.5 kw Koehler gasser just fine. Batt is sulfating on + terminal after 14 yrs service, but, plenty power still. Guess I should change – however it is fun to see just how long she'll stay alive! I keep a new 27 isolated and fully charged on board at all times! Just in case - LOL

Good Luck - Art
Thanks Art. Always good info.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member
 
City: Wausau,WI
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
CCA or the bogus MCCA is cold cranking amps , the real measure of a battery used to start engines.

Almost every car battery will have the CCA to start a noisemaker just fine.
All of this discussion about CCA gets me laughing.

Does anybody remember the Sears Die-hard battery commercials done during the winter in International Falls, Minnesota? That is where CCA makes a difference - When it's too cold for the chemical reaction in a battery to produce electricity.

Boating during times when CCA counts is a bit dificult, as the water is way too solid - don't need a boat, we just drive a truck across the water.

Anytime a battery is above +20degF, CCA does not much matter. When the temperature is -10degF or colder, we keep a spare battery available in the heated garage for jumping vehicles parked outside. It is also extremely important to keep the batteries charged, otherwise they will freeze, wreck the plates and crack the case.
theran5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by theran5317 View Post
All of this discussion about CCA gets me laughing. Does anybody remember the Sears Die-hard battery commercials done during the winter in International Falls, Minnesota? That is where CCA makes a difference - When it's too cold for the chemical reaction in a battery to produce electricity. Boating during times when CCA counts is a bit dificult, as the water is way too solid - don't need a boat, we just drive a truck across the water. Anytime a battery is above +20degF, CCA does not much matter. When the temperature is -10degF or colder, we keep a spare battery available in the heated garage for jumping vehicles parked outside. It is also extremely important to keep the batteries charged, otherwise they will freeze, wreck the plates and crack the case.
Theran, it is an industry accepted standard. It has nothing to do with the conditions the battery will be used it.

BUT...I would like to recommend the Sears Die Hard Marine Group 31 AGM...which, coincidently, has 1150 CCAs. Not cheap...but made by Odyssey which is considered one of the best batteries on the planet.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
City: Wausau,WI
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Theran, it is an industry accepted standard. It has nothing to do with the conditions the battery will be used it..
CCA, is an automotive industry standard test SAE J537, that measures how long a battery can sustain a measured current draw at either 0degF or -20degF, before dropping below 7.2volts. Something very important to those of us that live under these conditions.

Although CCA might useful for comparitive purpose, batteries in boats are kept at a much higher ambient temperatures, and will exhibit different characteristics under these much warmer conditions, and it is definitely only used for high current draw applications.
theran5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by theran5317 View Post
CCA, is an automotive industry standard test SAE J537, that measures how long a battery can sustain a measured current draw at either 0degF or -20degF, before dropping below 7.2volts. Something very important to those of us that live under these conditions.

Although CCA might useful for comparitive purpose, batteries in boats are kept at a much higher ambient temperatures, and will exhibit different characteristics under these much warmer conditions, and it is definitely only used for high current draw applications.
It is probably better than boasting about the quality of the plastic in the casing of the battery??????
My point being(and that of the manufacturer as featured in that Die Hard commercial) is that if they can perform in those conditions well, then they will likely perform better in more favorable conditions. I don't believe it to be as arbitrary as you are suggesting....hence my plastic quality remark above....that really would be arbitrary....in case you missed my point up there.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
Guru
 
Edelweiss's Avatar
 
City: PNW
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I don't believe it to be as arbitrary as you are suggesting....hence my plastic quality remark above....that really would be arbitrary....in case you missed my point up there.
And speaking of the quality of battery "plastic". . . . It's been a while since I bought a battery box. We used to toss them when they got gunked up with crud and oil. Maybe not anymore.

Just priced some 4d boxes, cheapest was $65 . . . up to $175. . . the cheapy was made of a hard plastic that wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes if a wrench was dropped on it.

I'll be breaking out the degreaser and Brillo pads.
__________________
Larry B
Careful . . .I Have a Generator and I'm not afraid to use it !
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,557
A question. My battery box(solid fibreglass unit, came with the boat) is too big for the genset battery so I have book ended the battery with some polystyrene packing to keep it from moving.

Would this cause any potential issues?
__________________

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012