Old 06-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #141
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
So as a simple summary, you have 2hrs of run time available between recharges, and it takes 6 hrs to recharge. So you basically get 2hrs a day of run time.

I'd guess the recharge will actually take longer than that due to the tapered charge rate as the batteries get full. It will probably be more like 8-9 hrs.

All this pretty clearly demonstrates why battery-electric boats have very limited application. To get more run time, you start looking at a generator. And pretty soon that generator has the same power as required to drive the boat. So why not just connect the engine directly to the propeller....

But for local puttering around in the silent serenity of your classic boat, it can work.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #142
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Nicely done, enjoy your boat Starside!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #143

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
So as a simple summary, you have 2hrs of run time available between recharges, and it takes 6 hrs to recharge. So you basically get 2hrs a day of run time.

I'd guess the recharge will actually take longer than that due to the tapered charge rate as the batteries get full. It will probably be more like 8-9 hrs.

All this pretty clearly demonstrates why battery-electric boats have very limited application. To get more run time, you start looking at a generator. And pretty soon that generator has the same power as required to drive the boat. So why not just connect the engine directly to the propeller....

But for local puttering around in the silent serenity of your classic boat, it can work.

No, that was for the portable generator recharge.

I have onboard the Quick Charge. That charges from shore power at a much faster rate. General rule is that if I cruise for 2 hours, my Quick Charge will take 2 hours to fully charge the batteries.

In other words, it's even cruising/charge time. The issue is that I need shore power to utilize the Quick Charging system. The generator would just be a portable option & that's not worth it.

I can cruise longer distances if there are marinas to stop at. So cruising the Bay is possible - say, a morning cruise to Annapolis, have a long lunch, then cruise to Piney Narrows in the afternoon. You just need to plan to marina hop.
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #144
Guru

City: gulf coast
congratulations on the success of your project.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #145
Guru

City: gulf coast
I would never consider trailering a wood boat. A recipe for disaster IMO
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #146
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
My calculator died so I have to toggle screens- PITA!!

I think the key to this is gennie size.

72v at 20a is 1.4kw, about the limit for a Honda 2kw

Running at 58a at 72v is a touch over 4kw.

2hr run time at 5kts is 10nm. 10nm of silent running.

If you need to cover more than that, run the gen the whole time. That will nearly double your range.

Or get a larger gen, say 4kw. With that running you can run almost indefinitely, limited by fuel.

Now running a gen does take away from the magic of silent travel, but this is probably only necessary when doing long hauls like crossing the bay. 90% of travel can still be in silent mode.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #147
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Starside, are you saying it's not possible for you to power your shore charger with the Honda generator while underway? I have my shore power cord plugged into my generator and can power the charger or other 110V systems as needed with the Honda eu2000i. Have you tried this?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #148
Guru

I think it's that the fast charger is about 4kW, about the limit of a 30a shore cord. That draw would stomp on a 2000i.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #149
TF Site Team

I might have missed Starside's charger output. I run my 55A charger at about half-throttle on my Honda. It could probably handle a 75-100A charger if the Honda load is limited to 13.3A.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #150
Guru

It's 72vdc, so 20a is a bigger deal than at 12v.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #151
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
It's 72vdc, so 20a is a bigger deal than at 12v.
Yes, that's the drive system. I agree that it's a lot of wattage. The charger is 110V and should run on the Honda generator, I think.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:27 PM   #152
Guru

The technology for electric boats is likely to be in research and development, as it is for cars. As an early adopter it may not be everything you`d like now, but it is highly likely to get better.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #153
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I would never consider trailering a wood boat. A recipe for disaster IMO

Our dock neighbor with a 1940 Hackercraft runabout routinely trailers it from here over to Starside's ideal destination, about an hour drive... and he says it's easy, no strain on the hull, etc.

-Chris
Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The technology for electric boats is likely to be in research and development, as it is for cars. As an early adopter it may not be everything you`d like now, but it is highly likely to get better.

Exactly! Battery range & power will only get better over time - & I think the technology will come faster than people think, esp w Tesla's battery research.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our dock neighbor with a 1940 Hackercraft runabout routinely trailers it from here over to Starside's ideal destination, about an hour drive... and he says it's easy, no strain on the hull, etc.

-Chris

I don't like trailering Starside. Haul in & out is expensive, too.

There were a few boaters from the show who offered to tow me over but I decided to keep her home this year. I don't want to stress her hull after I just refastened her, you know? Guess I'm being protective...
Old 06-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Starside, are you saying it's not possible for you to power your shore charger with the Honda generator while underway? I have my shore power cord plugged into my generator and can power the charger or other 110V systems as needed with the Honda eu2000i. Have you tried this?

My Quick Charge charger system is 120 volts. The electrician said that I'd need a larger generator than the portable Honda...

For me, a generator defeats the purpose of going electric. Keep in mind it was only to cross the bay for the boat show. For that one trip, it's not worth the costs. I'm content to dock her next year on the other side of the bay so I'll be closer to St Mike's.

In the future, instead of a generator, I would consider more batteries...but I also may wait for the technology to catch up. My present batteries have a 5+ year lifespan. I suspect when it's time to get more, those newer batteries will be more powerful w longer range.

There's also solar power. Per the yard, it's not enough to power...yet. Those panels are also developing quickly to be lighter & more powerful in the future.

I truly believe that if I wait a few years, the electric conversion will be all that & more. 😎
Old 06-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #157
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
I don't like trailering Starside. Haul in & out is expensive, too.

There were a few boaters from the show who offered to tow me over but I decided to keep her home this year. I don't want to stress her hull after I just refastened her, you know? Guess I'm being protective...

Jim apparently has his own trailer -- along with 12-15 classic cars/trucks, a 50' Tiara here, and a 65" (or so, their "big boat") Hatteras down in FL -- so he's likely in a different situation.

The yard here did his latest re-caulk, a couple years ago now, I think; that was interesting to see. You've maybe seen his boat at the museum sometime in the past.

And over Memorial Day, he had it over in St. Michaels Marina rafted up against one his bud's 60' Viking sportfish. I learned later he'd trailered the Hackercraft over there, then came back and made the trip by water on their Tiara. Turns out they're also big buds with the FL folks who were in the slip just in front of us at Higgins, too; completely coincidental chance meeting. What a hoot!

-Chris
Old 06-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #158
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
My Quick Charge charger system is 120 volts. The electrician said that I'd need a larger generator than the portable Honda...
I can understand the afinity to avoid using combustion engines in your electric boat. Just curious...how many amps is your charger?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I can understand the afinity to avoid using combustion engines in your electric boat. Just curious...how many amps is your charger?

Another good question! & once again, I left the manuals on the boat, but I'll look it up when I'm there again this week...& thanks for everyone's patience!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:31 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Jim apparently has his own trailer -- along with 12-15 classic cars/trucks, a 50' Tiara here, and a 65" (or so, their "big boat") Hatteras down in FL -- so he's likely in a different situation.

The yard here did his latest re-caulk, a couple years ago now, I think; that was interesting to see. You've maybe seen his boat at the museum sometime in the past.

And over Memorial Day, he had it over in St. Michaels Marina rafted up against one his bud's 60' Viking sportfish. I learned later he'd trailered the Hackercraft over there, then came back and made the trip by water on their Tiara. Turns out they're also big buds with the FL folks who were in the slip just in front of us at Higgins, too; completely coincidental chance meeting. What a hoot!

-Chris

He probably goes to the Classic Boat show in St. Mikes every year. I may have met last year. This year, I'll keep an eye out, but owning so many boats, I wonder which one he'll be exhibiting! LOL

By the way, I've been on Higgins waiting list for a covered slip for 2 years now. I love that place. Just hope one day I'll get in. 😍