Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #61
Guru

City: gulf coast
despite a zillion posts yours is the only boat with an actual motor.

All the rest are engines. []

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #62

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Lol

Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #63

I'm trying to figure out what this is a picture of. The yard sent it w no explanation. Looks like it's still on someone's work bench. Anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1423060940.321488.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  7.6 KB
Old 02-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #64

I was asked by the yard about my stuffing box. It's recommended I go dripless but I just had it restuffed so told them to wait. Cost is significant at this point in the game.

They rec a hatch to view the stuffing box from the battery case but the shipwright also said he could make me a special mirror on a stick so I can see the box wo all this extra expense. Needless to say, I'm going with that. My thought is that the dripless stuffing box is in my future but what's the hurry since I just got it stuffed recently?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #65
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I prefer standard stuffing boxes over dripless. When a dripless starts to leak, you have more work to do than just snugging the stuffing gland.

But you do need good access to the seal, regardless of the type. Need to be able to get two hands on it to snug it up.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #66
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
...They rec a hatch to view the stuffing box from the battery case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
...you do need good access...regardless of the type. Need to be able to get two hands on it to snug it up.
Will the hatch give you access? If it does...
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Will the hatch give you access? If it does...

Yes but everything is becoming so expensive, I'm having to count pennies now. It doesn't help that I'm at the most expensive yard on the bay (seriously) & being a woman just confounds that reality. (Yes, I think boat yards charge women more!) anyway, sorry for that!

Maybe I should reconsider the hatch. It's just with a woodie, what should be $200 is always $1000 on an antique! Ugh.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #68
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Your stuffing box should be fine. You will just have to monitor it. A mirror on a long handle is also fine. I would leave it be, and put it on the check list to be monitored.

It's easy to understand how you feel. With a wooden boat (especially a classic) You are not the owner as much as the custodian. Remember, that the stuffing box has seen the boat through all these years. Why change now?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #69
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I prefer standard stuffing boxes over dripless. When a dripless starts to leak, you have more work to do than just snugging the stuffing gland.

A boating acquaintance almost lost his 50' boat last year after one of his dripless shaft seals completely failed, they were less than three years old. He was barely able to keep up with the water flow, but made it to a yard for an emergency haul out.

He almost had me convinced to switch over, but the new generation of stuffing materials has made it nearly a nonissue anymore.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #70
Guru

I'd recommend using Gore type stuffing material if you haven't already. Virtually drip free.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #71
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
If you can see the stuffing box with an inspection mirror, you can probably snug up the follower gland nuts/bolts with a socket, universal, and extension. Just firm up the universal with a bit of electrical tape. If your follower us a gland nut with thread you may have to make a special tool.

You'll need to snug up the gland follower just a bit during run in, after launch. Then if you use GFO, may not need to touch it again.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #72

My issue w the present stuffing box is that when I first launched last year, I almost sank! They tightened the bolt & then I took my maiden cruise to St Mikes & almost sank again! I tightened the bolt to get home but noticed the bolt was stripped & getting harder to tighten. I got home to my slip on a Sunday & almost sank again! By then, the rate of water was steady & intense but no one was at the yard to haul me out. Thank god I had a working bilge pump but had to keep a charge on my battery all night til they hauled me out the next day. They restuffed but the bolt is still stripped.

I was a novice & just think of that - sinking by stuffing box is my biggest nightmare!

My fear now is that bolt is still stripped even though the box is restuffed. Keep in mind she's been out of the water all year now. I'm terrified of her relaunch but at least now, she'll get hauled out immediately. Still, u can see why I worry. I imagine the stuffing box will sink me again & the bolt can't be tightened & then they'll charge me even more cuz they'll have to remove everything to change the box. Now at least I can save that labor cost...

But the yard says the box is fine. They checked the stuffing but still -- that nightmare is fresh in my head!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #73
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Can you post a photo of the stuffing box as it is installed now? As you noted, that thing has to be right before you splash.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #74

They assure me it's fine.

No pic yet cuz I haven't visited the yard in two weeks. Awful weather here but do plan to go early March. I'll be sure to address this. Meanwhile I requested an estimate for the access hatch - that may ease my mind.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #75
Guru

City: gulf coast
You don't need the yard to make you a mirror on a stick. They are sold at tool shops everywhere.
I am confused about the threads being stripped, surely the yard can fix that easily or just replace the bolts for piece of mind.

Yes gore packing does not have to drip and I do not like those dripless systems. Some times old technology really is better.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #76
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I agree Mr bayview. Ms Starside, is there anyone in your area that knows a thing or two about wood boats you can contact?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
You don't need the yard to make you a mirror on a stick. They are sold at tool shops everywhere.
I am confused about the threads being stripped, surely the yard can fix that easily or just replace the bolts for piece of mind.

Yes gore packing does not have to drip and I do not like those dripless systems. Some times old technology really is better.

Very good point re the mirror on a stick. It will probably cost me hundreds of dollars if the yard does it. Thanks for mentioning this. :-)

You can't turn the nut to tighten it. It's stripped. The last yard had to hammer it tight which just confounded the problem.

I'll address this when I go again & ask about replacing the damaged nut. My thought was that since they didn't replace it when they restuffed it, I assumed it wasn't replaceable but now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense!

Ahhhhh clarity! (I tend to trust what the yards say but need to question things more.)
Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #78
Guru

Starside, you should tell the yard to "get stuffed" (old Australian expression denoting criticism). They left a stripped bolt, which prevented tightening the gland; they would charge you heaps for an extendable mirror. Buy the dreaded phone/camera "selfie stick" and install a small mirror on it.
I made the decision to stay with the traditional gland. If it chews out packing and won`t seal, it or something associated needs a repair. My stbd one is fine, years post repack, constant problems with the port one eventually led to a bent propshaft as the culprit.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Starside, you should tell the yard to "get stuffed" (old Australian expression denoting criticism). They left a stripped bolt, which prevented tightening the gland; they would charge you heaps for an extendable mirror. Buy the dreaded phone/camera "selfie stick" and install a small mirror on it.
I made the decision to stay with the traditional gland. If it chews out packing and won`t seal, it or something associated needs a repair. My stbd one is fine, years post repack, constant problems with the port one eventually led to a bent propshaft as the culprit.

For the record, the stuffing box was repaired by another yard at my marina. my present yard is an old woodie boat yard w fine shipwrights. They are just expensive. A lot of woodies go there, so they are used to deep pockets. I'm the exception...the Steward who's always in the poor house! LOL

I'm going to try to keep my stuffing box but do plan to address that stripped nut/bolt. You need to be able to tighten it. No exception.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #80

City: Bohemia River - Maryland
Vessel Name: Party Girl
Vessel Model: 1967 Pacemaker Sportfish
Starside, adjusting the stuffing box can be tricky to get them adjusted just right. I was taught they should drip 2 or 3 times a minute while the shaft is turning and not drip while not turning. I was going to suggest to have the rubber hose and hose clamps replaced while it was accessible, but when I was looking at the pics, I did not see any hose. Can you post a close-up picture of the stuffing box? You mentioned a nut is striped, is it the locking nut or the adjusting nut? Are the threads on the stuffing box housing OK?

Pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote