Old 07-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #1

City: Goldsboro NC
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: 41' PT Europa
Repower

I'm pulling the TV-8 540 320 hp Perkins from my 41' Europa Trawler .
Engine runs great. Just completed the 1000 mile trip from Maine (where I purchased her) to North Carolina, with no problem.
Problem is, there are no marine manifolds and other marine accessories available for the engine. I know the engine was used in some other applications and I can possibly get a few parts here and there, but I purchased the boat knowing that it would need to be repowered and it was priced accordingly.
I don't want to be hunting parts for an obsolete engine while doing the loop.

I'm thinking the Cummins 6BT 210hp
is the engine I want to use .
Anyone ever have any luck buying used, or am I just asking to buy someone else's problem? Are there any used cores that can be bought and rebuilt or is factory reman the way to go?

Suggestions and recommendations appreciated.
Propnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
I've read elsewhere that Cummins factory remans are a great deal, includes warranties and so forth...

-Chris
Old 07-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The Cummins 210 is a great engine for you as long as you are happy cruising at displacement speed or less.

How fast does your boat now go at wot with the Perkins? You can plug that number into boatdiesels's power calculator and get a pretty good idea how the Cummins will perform. I remember Tony Athens once saying on boatdiesel that the Cummins 210 could almost be used at its rated hp continuously if a few cooling system deficiencies were taken care of, which may be already done for a reman. Pulling 150 hp out of it continuously would be no problem.

The Cummins factory reman is the way to go. Last time numbers were reported I think they were selling for about $20K bobtail, $25K with transmission. You get a full factory warranty and the engine for all intents and purposes is new.

Rebuilt can mean anything and running take out may mean taking on someone's problems.

If you go this route, consider buying the engine from Tony's shop in Oxnard, Ca and having him upfit it the "Seaboard way". Probably less critical than a 370 hp engine, but the extra detail can avoid future problems.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Go for the Cummins reman. Lots or "rebuilts" that are not much better than a paint job.
There is one thread running now on T.F. and it,s looking like he got one of the ones you don't,t want.
Concur about Seaboard.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

City: Carrollton, Va
I never see anyone talk about Yanmars, why is that?
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I can speak from first hand experience that the Cummins factory remans are a greaqt way to go.

Look over back issues of passagemaker, maybe 5 years ago for photos and a write up of their remanufacturing facility in Reynosa Mexico.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
There is one thread running now on T.F. and it,s looking like he got one of the ones you don't,t want
Let's not jump to conclusions here :-)

Agree on the reman over RTO/rebuilt alternatives, particularly if you're having the whole job done professionally. The premium for a 'new' motor with warranty and support becomes less when factored into the total bill.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Yup, you are right
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #9

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
I got a 6bta Reman from Tony. He asked all the pertinent questions, added a remote oil filter as it was for the starboard side, ran it in the shop and shipped it to Toronto all in 6 days. I would do it again should the need ever arise. 2 year Cummins warranty as well.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I can speak from first hand experience that the Cummins factory remans are a greaqt way to go.

Look over back issues of passagemaker, maybe 5 years ago for photos and a write up of their remanufacturing facility in Reynosa Mexico.

Here is the article

http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp...t-Secret-1.pdf
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 AM   #11
FF
Guru

These folks may have what you need , or they will be happy to copy your old manifolds.

Far Far Far cheaper than tossing a good engine for a swop.

Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.

Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.

Exact replacement water cooled exhaust manifolds, risers, wet ells, and exhaust products.‎Pics
· ‎Flexible Exhaust
· ‎Online Catalog
· ‎Generator
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FF,
What?
You're not on the Cummins bandwagon?
It's interesting that this Athens guy acrually sells Cummins .. Hmmmmm

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post

Thanks for posting that. As someone who will be getting a Cummins Recon installed next week (if all goes well) I was interested and relieved to read Tony's impressions of about 5 years ago.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm no Cummins fanboy, as their engines do have warts and blemishes depending on the model. But considering the competition, a recon 6BT is often a good solution. Very often.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
At the risk of needing to duck ripe tomatoes It seems to me this boat would be underpowered w a 210hp engine. 36 foot trawlers w very similar hulls and displacement per foot most often have 240hp. The way most people use these 240hp boats will show they are overpowered. However that is the way they were marketed and at resale time that may be important. I'm sure the hull is capable of well over 7 knots ... and designed for it.

However many potential buyers in the future may be more interested in an under powered boat. I for one would prefer the underpowered boat but if I applied my brain to it significant power reduction should be accompanied by a different hull more suited for the lower power. If I had this boat I'd be more inclined to find a boat more suitable to the 200hp. A narrower boat. A lighter boat. Or just a smaller boat. If a bigger boat is desired then a FD hull will only need 140hp.

Bottom line is IMO that a boat should be powered to match a given hull design. Then brands of engines would be more approprate also after the hull/engine match was selected.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
At the risk of needing to duck ripe tomatoes It seems to me this boat would be underpowered w a 210hp engine. 36 foot trawlers w very similar hulls and displacement per foot most often have 240hp. The way most people use these 240hp boats will show they are overpowered. However that is the way they were marketed and at resale time that may be important. I'm sure the hull is capable of well over 7 knots ... and designed for it.

However many potential buyers in the future may be more interested in an under powered boat. I for one would prefer the underpowered boat but if I applied my brain to it significant power reduction should be accompanied by a different hull more suited for the lower power. If I had this boat I'd be more inclined to find a boat more suitable to the 200hp. A narrower boat. A lighter boat. Or just a smaller boat. If a bigger boat is desired then a FD hull will only need 140hp.

Bottom line is IMO that a boat should be powered to match a given hull design. Then brands of engines would be more approprate also after the hull/engine match was selected.
Good point. A 210 might be a bit light for a 41.

To the OP, what cruise speed and also what GPH did you run on your way south?

Using crude rule of thumb about 20hp per gph, I would think the 210 would be ok at 100hp continuous or about 5gph. Much more than that and would be considering something a bit bigger displacement. Not that the engine could not handle running harder, but it would be at higher rpm and noisier.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:32 PM   #17

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Having experienced a one for one swap of a 6bta for a reman 6bta I have nothing bad to say. We got one with everything including the dash panel, fluids, filters etc. Had already pulled the dead one (exhaust valve broke off in running engine, not pretty). Took less than 12 hours to get new one in, connected and running. Five of those hours was spent getting it aligned (perfectly). Of course this was a commercial dive boat and every day we sat there cost more money than we wanted to lose.

With warranty etc it was about $25,000 delivered to the islands. And we got money back for the core. If I remember right we purchased it through Expert Diesel in Florida.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #18
FF
Guru

I love rebuilt engines ,my favorite is a JD block factory rebuilt , but purchased at the tractor shoppe , rather than the marine guy.

For junk yard finds the International DT 360or DT 466 are cheap as dirt and almost as good as a Detroit.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote