Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #21
City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
RE: stabilizers

Larry M wrote:
Sea Gyro sells the GT5K stabilizer unit that they say is for*boats up to 30 tons for $19,900 USD plus freight according to*their ad.* It'd be curious to know if anyone has ever see or used one.* If it works as advertised, the price doesn't seem that bad with no external parts plus it*working at anchor.**
*I agree Larry,

I have an inquiry in to them but I guess over the holidays they are closed. I hope to get a response next week or so.

Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #22
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Gyro stabilizers*are big heavy rotating units requiring a* substantial base to be constructed. As with all mechanical and electrical things, installed costs will be much higher than just buying the parts and pieces. Plan on running your genset when at anchor to keep them rotating.

I've seen at least 6 articles in the past year or two in the boating mags, very*easy to*install on a new build when space can be budgeted during the engineering phase.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #23
Grand Vizier

As Tom notes, the big issues for gyros is the fact that they need about 3 kw to get started spinning. *The current draw is less once they are going, but most boats will have to think through the supply of electrical energy for them to work. *When designing Delfin's systems, I looked into what is now the most popular design, which at the time was a Mitsubishi product, as I recall. *I declined on the basis of the energy required, plus the fact that they were not going to be as efficient as active fins, which were a proven system. *Still, a self enclosed system without hull penetrations has its appeal, although I must say, I love my Trac system.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #24

When working on a system for out "Box Boat" I figured an extra wide centerboard trunk , with a shaped board that could easily be pivoted would do the job.

A simple gyro with an air cylinder would be quick enough and a snap to maintain.

Grounding , the board would simply do what center boards are built to do , pivot back into the case.

Might be an idea for someone with a new build?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote