Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

City: Hong Kong
Spring loaded emergency starter. Must have...

I have often wondered how to start a diesel without electrical power....and finally found this device which is a replacement starter. Remove the electrical starter, replace it with this starter, then wind up the spring, release the spring and the diesel should spring to life....

http://www.springstarter.com/uploads/2012%20Range-1.pdf

Watch this video on this page:

Spring starter from Kineteco how Spring Starting works
Searios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Excellent info! Thanks for posting this. Great item to have in the trick bag!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searios View Post
Sounds/Looks Good: Video will not play for me. In WWII types of plane engines were started via 12 ga shot gun shell. I think some PT Boat engines were also.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
When I worked for the Forest Service in 1967 we had a diesel generator out behind the big house. We started the Diesel engine by hand .... a crank. We'd engage the compression release and begin the cranking.

The engine was one cylinder. It was horizontal and looked much like a bottle shaped cannon. It probably had a 3" bore and a 5" stroke. The engine was about 30" long and rested on a rectangular cement base.

Back to cranking. I was about 25 years old and frequently needed several attempts the get the thing going fast enough to start. The time it took to stop cranking and reach over to trip the compression release was critical. If you cranked fast enough and managed to engage the compression quick enough ... the old thing started.

Then we had power in the house.

I don't see any reason a wind up starter couldn't be applied to the fwd end of the crankshaft. Some lawn mowers have wind up starters. The starter I envision would have a stout spring and a very low geared crank that may take considerable time to "wind up" the spring. Would be easy to make one commercially and I'm sure all the components could be found off the shelf.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Art
Guru

I got the video to play... simple, neat!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
In WWII types of plane engines were started via 12 ga shot gun shell. I think some PT Boat engines were also.
True. I never used a 12 ga. to start one, but I used a 12 ga. on one that didn't start one time.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
True. I never used a 12 ga. to start one, but I used a 12 ga. on one that didn't start one time.
12 ga. "slug" will instantly stop nearly any regular sized engine. Goes through the block. Past experience...!!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #8

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Wow, that's pretty cool.

For those that can't run that video, just search on YouTube and you can find some videos of that spring starter.
Phyrcooler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
12 ga. "slug" will instantly stop nearly any regular sized engine. Goes through the block. Past experience...!!

Not through but will crack a bit of cast iron, there is an exotic 12 gauge round that does a bit better then the 1oz lead slug, see video 2.

The Box O' Truth #54 - Busting an Engine Block The Box O' Truth

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
FF
Guru

The nicest crank start setup I have seen was on a Brit Enfield diesel, used to mix cement.

The truck was until there was enough oil pressure the valves could not close.

This was done more to protect the unit from union "workers" that could not be bothered to check the oil.

Low oil, no operation so the morter would be hand mixed , seemd to work well.

Crank fast enough by hand ,the valves would operate and chug chug chug!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #11
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Lucas made spring starters and they've been around for years and I've used them to start cranes/excavators/pumps and site trucks.
I posted on here some time ago of the benefits of having one in the spares locker.
Great to see the idea taken up.

I just can't believe you guys never took out the slug from the shell ! !
I've used them on the Lysander radial aircraft engines and Field Marshall tractors and they worked perfect.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #12
Guru

City: gulf coast
modern diesels often require power to open fuel solenoid or run common rail injectors. The days of mechanical diesels seem over.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Not through but will crack a bit of cast iron, there is an exotic 12 gauge round that does a bit better then the 1oz lead slug, see video 2.
Scott - In 1971, hitting a 1960 383 cid Chevy engine. 12 ga. slug - went through side of the block, stopped it cold.

Slug you show on video would suffice too, I'm sure.

When the heavily armored and superior weaponry bank robbers were fighting cops in LA several years ago I wondered why the cops did not simply begin hitting their armor protected heads with 12 ga. slugs?? Even if the armor had been tough enough to thwart penetration the slug would have knocked them off their feet and the impact-shock would probably have knocked them out! At minimum the slug would have greatly disoriented their coordination and reasoning functions. Talk about getting a concussion! - LOL
Old 02-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Most of the solenoids actually shut the fuel off.
There are literally millions of mechanical boat engines out there still working and while the benefits of a common rail are well known I wouldn't have one in a boat for love nor money. I've seen too many twin and single engine boats (mostly, but not all Volvo powered) towed back into harbour for me to place any trust in them until they become bullet proof.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Scott - In 1971, hitting a 1960 383 cid Chevy engine. 12 ga. slug - went through side of the block, stopped it cold.

Slug you show on video would suffice too, I'm sure.

When the heavily armored and superior weaponry bank robbers were fighting cops in LA several years ago I wondered why the cops did not simply begin hitting their armor protected heads with 12 ga. slugs?? Even if the armor had been tough enough to thwart penetration the slug would have knocked them off their feet and the impact-shock would probably have knocked them out! At minimum the slug would have greatly disoriented their coordination and reasoning functions. Talk about getting a concussion! - LOL

I think only Jack Bauer can make those head shots in a running gun fight in the streets.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
I think only Jack Bauer can make those head shots in a running gun fight in the streets.
Those crap-head-robbers were calmly walking and firing their superior weapons much of the time. Armaments they wore made it too heavy for them to move very quickly. It would have been easy to hit their heads with 12 ga. slug. Three police officers, each firing 12 ga slugs... the jerks would have much sooner been stopped; IMHO. That crazy gun fight went on for too much of a long, long time!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
modern diesels often require power to open fuel solenoid or run common rail injectors. The days of mechanical diesels seem over.
True, but it requires very little electricity to operate the fuel system. You could very easily be in a situation where your batteries are strong enough to run the engine, but not strong enough to start the engine. That's where something like this could be a life-saver.

The problem I see is that this thing needs to be mounted on the engine in place of the traditional starter. So, in an emergency you have to break out the tool kit, remove the normal starter, and mount this in its place. That ain't gonna happen any too fast! Either that or you leave this permanently mounted and ALWAYS have to start the engine manually.

It would be nice to have something along these lines that could be mounted IN ADDITION to a normal, electric starter, rather than instead of one. Then if the batteries are too run down to start the engine, you could just start it up with this, but in other cases use the electric starter.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Many long distance cruisers have multiple battery banks and one or two ways to charge batteries...and possibly have a small inexpensive booster battery charger aboard to boot.

While the spring starter is tempting as a good idea...I think I am more likely struck by lightning and killed than not have the possibility of starting my engine eventually due to low battery power.

Now if I am going to carry a spare starter due to my cruising style and distance from help....I will seriously contemplate it then...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Many long distance cruisers have multiple battery banks and one or two ways to charge batteries...and possibly have a small inexpensive booster battery charger aboard to boot.

While the spring starter is tempting as a good idea...I think I am more likely struck by lightning and killed than not have the possibility of starting my engine eventually due to low battery power.

Now if I am going to carry a spare starter due to my cruising style and distance from help....I will seriously contemplate it then...
I would sooner carry a spare regular starter. At least that way once I change it I don't have to change it back. And with multiple battery banks the likelihood of not enough cranking power is fairly low as ps stated.
Then again I usually anchor on a hill just in case
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #20
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I would sooner carry a spare regular starter. At least that way once I change it I don't have to change it back. And with multiple battery banks the likelihood of not enough cranking power is fairly low as ps stated.
Then again I usually anchor on a hill just in case