Speedseal /orberdorfer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I ordered some parts for my Oberdorfer model 403m raw water pump. The cover plate is discontinued and can’t find one anywhere. Mine is a little rough and wanted to replace it . Has anybody tried the speedseal kit on this pump? I tried to call Speedseal but they are closed until June 25th . :confused:

"The cover plate is discontinued and can’t find one anywhere. Mine is a little rough and wanted to replace it"

Go to a glass shop and get a piece of thick glass.

Place fine emery cloth on the glass and rub the end plate on the emery.

15 min should have it like new again, 30 min if its really! bad.

Cheap sand paper also works , but gets dull quickly.

Enjoy!

Or flip over the plate...

The plate is rough cast on the other side plus it has a raised portion in the center .

Take the plate to a machine shop. They will make a new double sided plate for you.

Take the plate to a machine shop. They will make a new double sided plate for you.
Yes good idea ,I’m thinking brass would be good enough? I’m not in salt water .Hey I have the same model old pump at the house they could use for pattern . It doesn’t have the cover plate but I bet they could pattern a new plate from it , that way we could keep using the boat .

Last edited:
My experience with SpeedSeal was maybe 15-20 years ago and was not pleasant.
I sent them the specs for the plates I needed on the N46. What I got back did not equate with the pumps. I chose to "eat" the cost, which was considerable less back then. I guess I could have sent them back with the hopes they would send the correct end plates but I didn't. The UK is a long way away to play Russian roulette with getting the proper end plates.
Now, I am in favor of visiting a local machine shop for a new end plate. If it doesnt fit, you can revisit the local shop, rather than boxing up the parts, send them back to the UK and sitting dead in the water waiting waiting waiting for parts.
If you had a good experience with SpeedSeal, I am very happy for you.

What I learned was, buy locally and patronize your local machine shops.

Another possibility is to take the plate to the machine shop and have them resurface it. Should be a lot less time than making a new one, which has to have the material sourced, cut to shape, drilled, and then surfaced.

Another possibility is to take the plate to the machine shop and have them resurface it. Should be a lot less time than making a new one, which has to have the material sourced, cut to shape, drilled, and then surfaced.

Of course that is an option. Some of the plates I have seen, I question the wisdom of resurfacing.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a clear (Gorilla Glass?) plate so that one could observe the condition of the impeller? Hmm.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a clear (Gorilla Glass?) plate so that one could observe the condition of the impeller? Hmm.

Hmmmm, I'd rather have a sizable viewing plate in the bottom of my hull.
The closet thing I saw to that was DeFever's sea chest with a plastic cover on it.

In my experience that ends up being more expensive than just getting the part.

The plate should be of the same material as the pump to avoid the whole unmatched metals implications, trivial or not.

If an old pump is available, why not send it to someone like Depco and have it rebuilt? They come back just like new.

"Hmmmm, I'd rather have a sizable viewing plate in the bottom of my hull.
The closet thing I saw to that was DeFever's sea chest with a plastic cover on it."

The long canal boats in England have the best I have seen,

,A covered well is built directly over the prop, a hand full of wing nuts, and trash, plastic , etc can be cleared from the prop & shaft with no water entering the boat.

If I ever had a new build,,,,

"Hmmmm, I'd rather have a sizable viewing plate in the bottom of my hull.
The closet thing I saw to that was DeFever's sea chest with a plastic cover on it."

The long canal boats in England have the best I have seen,

,A covered well is built directly over the prop, a hand full of wing nuts, and trash, plastic , etc can be cleared from the prop & shaft with no water entering the boat.

If I ever had a new build,,,,

Sounds like a worthy addition but my prop is nearly aft of the transom.

The oring groove is in the face of the cover plate. When I looked at my old pump at home I noticed some deteriation on the pump face where the oring seals. I may have the same deteriation on the pump on the engine. A new cover plate may not help at all with sealing. Slicking up the pump face may be the answer.

Back
Top Bottom