Source for copper fittings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey Guys,

The Relief valve on my hynautic steering system failed (it only lasted 39 years, what a piece of junk) and I am I need to replace it.* I got the new valve from Hynautic, but it is slightly different than my old one.

The old one had all three threaded ports for the hoses (copper pipes on my boat) on the back.* The new one has one on each side and one on the back.

The boat is in the Bahamas, a mechanic I know over there suggested that I get new copper fittings for each side, a 90 degree 1/4" pipe to 3/8" flair. This would allow me to have all three lines still entering from the same direction.

I've got some play in the lines, so I think if I had to I could bend them, but I'm worried about getting them straight enough to get them to thread.* The 90 degree elbow soulution seems better.

Any idea of a source for these fittings?

Thanks

Those look like they will work. It is strange though, as he described it I was imagining 1/4 male pipe thread on the end that screws into the relief valve, and 3/8 " flared threads on the other end, the end that screws into the copper line. It appears to me they don't make that, but they make a 1/4 that goes to a 3/8 OD tube. Do you think this is what he meant?

Thanks for your help guys, it is hard to guess with me in Florida and the boat in the Bahamas.

Yes, that would be correct, 1/4 male pipe thread x 3/8 flare. Copper (or any) tubing is measured on the OD as opposed to pipe being measured on the ID. Most older style steering connections are flared fittings. You may want to confirm the sizes your mechanic is telling you though as Hynautic's website (teleflex) lists 1/2 and 5/8 tubing kits. I have seen both. The adapters are cheap enough, you could pick up both the 1/4 x 3/8 and 1/4 x 1/2 to be sure you end up with the correct ones. Or get him to take a picture of the old valve and lines and send to you for reference.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/hydraulic-new/inboard-new/hynautic-new/#application

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom