Some engine prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
In one thread someone was contemplating swopping out an engine.

The issue of B&H i have shows brand new marine long blocks for Cummins
4blb 3.9** @ $3388.

6blb 5.9 at $3888.

6cblb 8.3* @ 4988.

This is ONLY the new long block!

The 6b5.9 manifold for a wet exhaust is $558, the 6c 8.3 $598.

Takes a lot more than a long block , but the days of the "marine" $20,000 pickup truck transplants is OVER!

FF:* Good information.* So what do you think it would it take $ wise to put a whole package together including transmission, instrument panel, wiring, labor to put the pieces together*and*heat exchanger, basically a complete set-up excluding installation?

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX

labor to put the pieces together and heat exchanger, basically a complete set-up excluding installation?

Impossible to estimate as labor rates vary , "mechanics" skill sets vary , and weather you would accept a T-D that was rebuilt , or had to have "new" would be a concern.

Sendure makes 2 grades of great heat exchangers .

Murphy Gage makes great - non electric instruments.

The quality and number of alternators would be a big part of the $$$ question.

The wiring would be quite simple , and the shut down* a pull cable, or* (better) Murphy electric triggered pull stop.This would allow a helm watcher to not have to understand the engine instruments.

-- Edited by FF on Monday 22nd of November 2010 04:36:49 AM

Larry

As you have seen on boatdiesel, a drop in factory*reman 6B with gauges and transmission is about $12 - 15K before labor. Costs for labor for install, hookups to exhaust, drive line and "new" mounts will vary widely dependent upon owner capability, current setup and access. Then add to it, desirements for new fuel systems, bilge painting and tidying up.

With each owner bringing a different set of age,*personal and financial supports, what is good for one is not sensible for another. But with all these aging Lehmans, the variables in the ultimate choice are increasingly tested.

Given the popularity of the 42 Krogens, I'd guess a modern new engine install in a bristol condition vessel would be very nicely repaid when selling time approaches.

I have been "working" on*marinizing a pickup truck Cummins 6BT so I have some experience on the subject.
While still in the parts gathering stage, and have been for about 3 years, I can tell you that some parts are easy to get ahold of and some are not.
I started with a low miles (approx 100K) engine out of a 1989 "farm use" pickup. It ran really good.
I shopped and found a set of 210 marine injectors cheap and also a "jacket water" aftercooler with fuel lines for dirt cheap. I traded some of the pickup truck parts for a marine exhaust manifold.
Last falll I bought a Cummins 6BT that was in a boat fire. I am sure the block is good but I really bought it for the marine parts. Turbocharger, another exhaust manifold, flywheel, bellhousing, raw water pump, mounts,**etc.* Some of the parts need a rebuild but now I have the cores.
I need a few more parts before I start piecing it together but I still need a heat xchanger, tranny adapter plate, etc.
However I have seen the long blocks that FF mentioned so I need to inquire about those before I do anything else. I need to find out if the LBs come with injection equipment or not. I would guess they do not as there are multiple pumps that Cummins has used depending on application and HP.
Oh yes I also bought a BW 72 series (2.57:1) tranny for cheap to put behind this engine that I will tweak to approx 220 hp using the truck injection pump from the 89 engine (which is a Bosch VE pump. Not normally used for marine use, a Cummins "guru" in England has used this successfully and I have his fuel delivery formula for it which he says will run rings around the standard Cummins 210 with a CAV pump).

So if you are thinking about buyiing a LB to start a marinization project there are some things to think about other than just labor.

Jay

Is your plan to replace your Lehman with a rebuilt Cummins 6B?

That was the plan until the boat market fell. Now I have to do some soul searching.
Don't want to throw too much more $$ in the boat that I only plan on keeping a few more years.
I'll make my decision by spring cause it's now or never.
The piece of mind for me PLUS the anticipated ability to gain a few more knots*** plus have simpler maintenance is the carrot.

*** based on talking with an Albin 40 owner whose boat came OEM with a Cummins 210. He cruised it at 9.5 knots at 1900 rpm with a WOT (2600) of 13 plus.

-- Edited by jleonard on Wednesday 24th of November 2010 03:51:26 PM

Pretend for a moment you go ahead with the exchange. How do the motor mounts, transmission, exhaust, prop/shafts*and dimensions look in comparison?

"Pretend for a moment you go ahead with the exchange. How do the motor mounts, transmission, exhaust, prop/shafts*and dimensions look in comparison?"

Pretty* good actually. Exhaust is opposite side but goes to a muffler first so that's easy. Also a tad small but I have a plan for diverting some water so that's fine. Shaft is fine. I'll need a new wheel. Engine will mount ok*I'll just need some new sections of angle iron and some bolts. Fuel delivery, raw water, that's easy stuff.
I've done a repower already on another boat changing from a Perkins to a Cummins.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom