Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #101

City: Northern California
Nice report healhustler. Greenline touts the efficiency of their hull, and as mono's go they are quite efficient. The Buzzard's Bay 34 and Aspen C90 has better hull efficiency but would have to retrofitted for the solar and electric drive that the Greenline already has set up.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #102

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
Since the key to solar boating is an efficient hull. Once designed, the hull (with suitable accommodations) can also be marketed as ultra efficient with a smallish, modern diesel, less the electric drive and with or without the solar supported hotel loads.

The key is to develop a marketable platform with technology and drive train options and suitable living and cruising ability.

The technology exists. It's just a matter of choosing and assembling the parts.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #103

What Beaufort scale would you feel "safe enough" if caught in Sunshine? Not comfort, but survivable in an upright position?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
What Beaufort scale would you feel "safe enough" if caught in Sunshine? Not comfort, but survivable in an upright position?
Like any power cat, Sunshine has extremely high stability. It's not the wind that would capsize her but a very big and steep wave!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #105

That is why I asked Beaufort scale as it includes sea state and winds. 20' but not steep or breaking probably no problem so maybe Force 8? With weather routing one can stay away from the really nasty systems but I was just curious how the panels and front berth windows would handle a breaking wave.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #106

If I were venturing offshore on Sunshine I would fit her with 3/4" polycarbonate shutters in front if the master SR windows. Along with an EPIRB and a life raft. May as well throw in a sat phone, too. Obviously a water maker (I'm installing one in the fall). Positive flotation is a possibility, too. And wind turbine. Lots of canned stew.

What'd I forget? Can opener?
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #107

Well you could do the Great Loop with ease and probably burn less than 50 gallons of diesel if you choose.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #108

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:
That is why I asked Beaufort scale as it includes sea state and winds. 20' but not steep or breaking probably no problem so maybe Force 8? With weather routing one can stay away from the really nasty systems but I was just curious how the panels and front berth windows would handle a breaking wave.
It is a very common misconception that the Beaufort scale includes wind speed and wave height. This was caused by the fact that during the steam ship days the Beaufort scale numbers were equated to sea conditions to allow mariners without sails to judge wind speed. The problem with the Beaufort scale is that the relationship between wind speed and wave height is dependent of the fetch, or distance that the wind has to transfer energy to the water. If a strong wind is blowing offshore and you are close to the coast the waves will be very small. However, if a light breeze is coming from far out to sea the waves will be much larger.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale "The Beaufort scale (pron.: /ˈboʊfərt/) is an empirical measure that relates wind speed to observed conditions at sea or on land. Its full name is the Beaufort wind force scale, although it is a measure of wind speed and not of "force" in the scientific sense of the word."
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #109

I don't speak "Beaufort." In fact, when Small Craft Warnings are up, I stay in port!

I'm actually thinking of sending Sunshine on the Great Loop - find a few skippers to do different legs - and see how she does?

Over my lifetime, I have done all of the loop except from the junction of the Illinois and Mississippi and Mobile, Alabama. It'd be fun to catch a ride down the Mississippi, Tom Sawyer style, on Sunshine.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #110

City: Silverado, CA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post
I don't speak "Beaufort." In fact, when Small Craft Warnings are up, I stay in port!

I'm actually thinking of sending Sunshine on the Great Loop - find a few skippers to do different legs - and see how she does?

Over my lifetime, I have done all of the loop except from the junction of the Illinois and Mississippi and Mobile, Alabama. It'd be fun to catch a ride down the Mississippi, Tom Sawyer style, on Sunshine.
You could set a record for the least fuel consumed on the great loop! Good PR opportunity!

I always wanted to build a transportable boat and do the loop is sections or just cherry pick sections. I have relatives in Omaha NE and Milwaukee WI, so I'd launch in Omaha and cruise to Milwaukee. I'd make good speed going down the Missouri but I wouldn't want to go up!
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #111
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrane View Post
What aspect of your craft causes you to stay in port when waves and winds are up - electric connections and salt water, cat instability, comfort, low power--? I know you've got the blue water experience and I'm not trying to be snarky, just curious.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
What aspect of your craft causes you to stay in port when waves and winds are up - electric connections and salt water, cat instability, comfort, low power--? I know you've got the blue water experience and I'm not trying to be snarky, just curious.
Good question: it's not an aspect of boat - it's an aspect of my temperament- I just don't care for rough weather. Period. And, although there is something special about being out on an empty ocean, poking along, it's not something I lust for anymore.

Some of my favorite boating has been in my shoal-draft sailboats, the Hens, skimming across a 2' deep section of Florida Bay, trailing my fingers in the water, never out of sight of land.

BTW, power cats are not unstable - there is nothing trying to tip them over (such as a sailing cat). Yes, some do capsize in very rough seas - those kinds of seas I now like to avoid. If I were in rough water for any length of time, I'd much rather be on my deep-V IP535 with her gyro stabilizer! Cats can be horrid in rough water due to TOO MUCH stability.

When Jim Krogen designed the KKY 42 he had several goals in mind - one was to make an extremely efficient cruising boat and one that was sea-kindly. The solution to both is the curvy hull form below the water - since the boat is inherently unstable, he added the ballast keel. The idea is that a boat that rolls in a seaway is more comfortable than one that snaps (such as a catamaran). HIs position is that this motion is easier on the body for days at a time during an ocean passage. The design succeeded with many built and many successful world voyages made - the main downside to this approach is the lack of stability at anchor - and with the pendulum effect of the keel, the boats tend to move more and for a longer period than a more stable modified V monohull or a cat when waves (usually from thoughtless boaters) invade the harbor.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #113
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The lightning topic has been split out of this thread.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ats-10182.html

Here is its new home.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #114

Anyone familiar with this solar boat presently doing the Loop?

Using a pair of Torqeedos.

I think he is aiming to make the trip a cable show. More awareness can't hurt the cause.

No specs on the boat or electric propulsion, i.e., batteries, solar production. From the pictures it appears to be shy of 3000 watts of solar. The amas both are always in the water creating drag, I think the amas should only have one or none in the water.

It looks like they are knocking off 30 mile daily runs, which is pretty good if the solar production is shared with total hotel loads and an electric galley.

http://solarboatchronicles.com/
Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #115
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I love the concept, but she looks like a tough boat to lock through. Sounds like a practical, affordable solution to the engineering challenge. I hope she's successful.

I love this quote as I think it captures the spirit of adventure and love of the water many of us share.

"Jim began his boating life at the age of 14 when—inspired by Tom Sawyer’s adventures—he built a wooden boat and drifted down the Arkansas River from his Wichita, Kansas home to the lower reaches of Arkansas. He was ultimately apprehended by a Arkansas sheriff who deemed him a runaway and returned him home."

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #116

Al,

Jim does look a bit crusty....

Like me....

I guess not all of us solar boating people are as polished as Reuben.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #117
FF
Guru

We made an attempt this morning to get across the Sapello Sound, but the Northeast wind was just to strong and we could not maintain control of the boat, again.

"COULD NOT MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE BOAT AGAIN!!!"

'Fraid it will be a long time before this stunt boat goes mainstream.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #118
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
'Fraid it will be a long time before this stunt boat goes mainstream.
Darn good thing Christopher Columbus, Ponce De Leon or Magellan never had to answer to Internet critics.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #119
FF
Guru

"Darn good thing Christopher Columbus, Ponce De Leon or Magellan never had to answer to Internet critics. "

I believe all these intrepid explorers enjoyed boats that could be controlled .

A stunt boat is a stunt boat and useful to get publicity , a modern cruiser only has the fact that it floats in common with stunters.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #120

Quote:
Al,

Jim does look a bit crusty....

Like me....

I guess not all of us solar boating people are as polished as Reuben.
You both need to get yourselves a solar razor!

Here's my scruffy photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailor8_May85_Cover.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	19854