Old 12-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #101
Guru

RE: Small Surges in RPM Every Few Minutes.

"Why 500 for the gen set.* Two things to consider.* One the fuel flow to the gen set does not require a 500*"

My 1983 has a 500 as oem for the genset. Many boats of this era are set up like this.

jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #102
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
jleonard wrote:

"Why 500 for the gen set.* Two things to consider.* One the fuel flow to the gen set does not require a 500*"

My 1983 has a 500 as oem for the genset. Many boats of this era are set up like this.
That may be true but a 500 is a 65 GPH filter and a 100 is 15 GPH filter.* I'm not to sure but I don't think most 5-8 KW Gensets need more than*15 GPH filtration.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #103
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Well... One thing is for sure, My system needs a major upgrade. I don't mind jacking around with the plumbing. I enjoy it and my rig is pretty sloppy now. So a more space efficient rig would be a needed change.

I do like the idea of a smaller, more genset specific filter. I always thought having one for the generator the same size as for the main was weird. Still, having only one type of filter for all apps was kinda easy to keep track of.

I'll see if I can scare up a pic or two for y'all to see.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #104
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

A 500 will not hurt you in any way if already in use on the genset. It just loses the "turbine " effect that PH lauds at the lower fuel velocity, but you still have an over sized very good filter to catch all the gunk.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #105
Guru

Afdter reading many pages at Boatdiesel.com, I may be back on the Fleetguard bandwagon. However, I am curious as to why they are so anti-Raycor? Still, I am going to seek out a hydraulic shop here in Raleigh somewhere and try and bodge together a new system for a spring install.

Any design tips? I'd like to have a polish system and tank transfer rig. Maybe backup filtration too, but not sure about that just yet if the filters are that easy to change out. Where can I find the selector valves, fittings, and primer pump? Should it be at a high point in the system? Will barbed fitting be enough?

Love to get y'all to help me come up with a great fuel rig. Thanks.

(Single Perkins 130hp at 2 GHP)
Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #106
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

The 3 stage system can be purchased as a package form boatdiesel. No design or chasing fittings required. My guess, you will not need a fuel polishing system once you install a 3 stage setup.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #107
Guru

Small Surges in RPM Every Few Minutes.

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:

The 3 stage system can be purchased as a package form boatdiesel. No design or chasing fittings required. My guess, you will not need a fuel polishing system once you install a 3 stage setup.
At $400 for a dually set with vac gauges, I think I'll try and put one together for myself. Or at the least, look into it. I have some other fuel plumbing things to work out too. But I may call them and see what they might reco.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Monday 27th of December 2010 12:13:36 PM
Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #108
Guru

"However, I am curious as to why they are so anti-Raycor? "

Tony Athens is anti Racor only because element changes and cleaning of a Racor is/can be messy and time consuming. You not only must change the elements you must clean the bowl from time to time. Sometimes when you put the lid back on there can be dirt left on the gasket and that*can shut the engine down.

He touts spin offs because they are easy to change and require no maintenance.

If you have most of the filters units already and they are Racors, so what use what you have to build a multi-stage set up. *If you must buy another filter unit then consider a spin off. *
Old 12-28-2010, 05:43 AM   #109
FF
Guru

Boatyards , discount houses will usually have Raycors.

With truck takeouts you are left to carry your own supply aboard .

BEWARE , fuel and lube oil filters are expected to be used ,, not stored.

IF you are storing them , put them in a sealed plastic bag , after a quickie spray with preserving oil. (I use fogging oil.)
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #110

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

True, a Racor 500 is more than adequate for a 8kw genset. However, having designed my multi-stage filtration for the main engine with three 500s, and having a single seperate 500 Racor for the genset, I now have the ability to use any filter in any filter body, including the genset. No need to have to stock a unique filter replacement just ofr the genset. If the genset clogs and I need a replacement its all the same.
R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #111
Guru

Do you have a picture of your rig?

BTW... The surges have come back a little. There is a bit of a story to tell that I will tell tomorrow, but it looks like I need to get the fuel and or tanks cleaned.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 AM   #112
FF
Guru

but it looks like I need to get the fuel and or tanks cleaned.

The trawlers lament .
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #113
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Gonzo.* It's GOTTA be your 2 micron filter again.* It's just GOTTA be...
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #114
Guru

When we got to the boat this time after being away for a month, I found an inch or more of sediment in the bowls of the Racors. Seeing that I didn't have a rebuild kit, I didn't really want to pull them apart without the proper parts to seal them back up. However, I WAS able to get them clean with a combination of drain and fill, plus, a handy zip-tie that allowed me to stir up the goo enough to get out of the drain. It was a little tricky, but very effective (which reminds me I need to order the parts). So I have to assume I have to get the fuel clean.

Which leads me to a couple of new questions. Since I am in the market for putting together a new fuel filtering rig, can I build a fuel scrubber to use as well? I'd like it to be portable. I think the parts using the screw-on filters would be fine, but I need a pretty good size pump. I think I'd like to do 20-40gph (number pulled from rear end) and just be able to divert the fuel from the tank exit to a "T" that goes thru a two-stage filter and back into the tank thru the filler hole with enough pressure to knock some of the goo off the inside of the tank. Perhaps a wand with a 4-way exit that will squirt clean fuel all directions.

What are some good leads on pumps for this kind of job?

My fuel exits thru the lowest part of the tank, so it should get good circulation and hopefully, with some persistence, my tanks be clean in a matter of weeks or months. The same rig will also allow me to move enough fuel from one tank to another so I can remove the inspection plate and actually eyeball the results.

Opinions?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #115
FF
Guru

with enough pressure to knock some of the goo off the inside of the tank.

Dream on.

Here in FL a very large aircraft fuel pump and 15A 120v motor suck dirty fuel , pass it thru 3 or 4 filters that stand waste high and return it to the tank under HIGH (40-70PSI?).

Given enough time this will clean much of the fuel , but the tank is not cleaned as the return is not directed at the goop and any large tank will have baffles which stop ant blast clean action.

Want a clean tank? Open it up and get your scraper out.

Anything else is like waiting for the tooth Fairy.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #116
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

http://www.trawlersandtrawlering.com.../captnwil.html

The* basis is a Gulf Coast F-1 filter and a Walbro continuous duty fuel pump. I built a system like this for my boat and love it. Of course you could build it to be portable. You could even use other fiters, but the depth type filtration is much better if you have really dirty fuel.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #117
Guru

Small Surges in RPM Every Few Minutes.

Good stuff. THANKS!

One thing I did notice during the process of cleaning the Racor filter was that, as I did the drain and fill procedure, was how slowly the gravity fed fuel filled the filter back up. I mean, it took several minutes to refill a Racor 500 to the top. I'm sure that is part of my problem too. There could be some blockage at the tank's exit and that would certainly cause those little surges if, in fact, fuel starvation is at the center of this issue.

**EDIT** Brass or bronze fittings and valves?

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 08:05:48 AM
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #118
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:*Brass or bronze fittings and valves?
Brass is fine.

FF is absolutely correct in that squirting a little bit of filtered diesel fuel at your tank is NOT going to do anything besides aerate the stuff.

Tank cleaning is not just a matter of lightly rinsing the sides. Tank cleaning machines as used on tankers use around 150 psig to wash down the residue that clings to the sides. That process is followed by buckets and shovels to remove the rest of the stuff, and crude oil is (mostly)*pretty light and clean stuff, just waxy sometimes. Just because our tanks are small and carry what we believe is clean fuel doesn't mean they are any easier to clean.

Mechanical cleaning is the only way to remove the sediment and crud from a fuel tank. Scraping and pressure washing followed by wiping clean and dry is the only way to remove the stuff you find in the bottom of a filter bowl.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #119
Guru

I borrowed a friend's portable filtering setup when I first bought my Albin. I filtered from one tank into the other and when that tank was empty I inspected thru a hatch and there was no visable crud to speak of...also ran the intake hose and fitting under the baffles and as far as I could tell there wasn't any gunk buildup.
Then I filtered back into the original tank and did the same type of inspection.

After filtering approx 300 gallons of fuel the filters did not look dirty to me. I expected crud but they were pretty clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel filer rig.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	4054  
Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #120
Guru

What kind of pump is that (lower left corner) and how long/often did you run it?