Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #21
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,361
Marty

Are your containers rinsed and empty prior to the next use? As I read your procedure they are. If so, I fail to see how adding hydraulic oil to a clean and empty container is an issue. Are your stabilizer rams or associated block and pro portioning valves leaking?
__________________
Advertisement

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #22
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,783
My conclusion when going from hydraulic to diesel I don't need to rinse the jerry cans. when going from diesel to hydraulic put in a half liter of hydraulic oil, rinse the jerry can and just dispose of the hydraulic oil used to rinse the jerry can.
__________________

__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #23
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
My conclusion when going from hydraulic to diesel I don't need to rinse the jerry cans. when going from diesel to hydraulic put in a half liter of hydraulic oil, rinse the jerry can and just dispose of the hydraulic oil used to rinse the jerry can.
That's really easier than buying extra cans? Do you just dump the hydraulic oil down the sewer or do you take it to a hazardous waste disposal site?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #24
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,707
Well when I built up my hydraulic steering system Harbor Marine recommended ATF and that's what I've used. But already I'm using trans fluid for a hydraulic system. One would think I should be using hydraulic fluid.

Is there any suitable hydraulic fluid that would have a considerably lower viscosity than the ATF? I notice there's various kinds of hydraulic oils but there's various kinds of lube oils that may be suitable for the same engine.

I suspected in the first place that there may be seal problems but it would be nice if I could stick my finger in the helm spoke and twirl it around quickly full port to stbd. But it's a habit of mine ... to think of better ways to do things.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's really easier than buying extra cans? Do you just dump the hydraulic oil down the sewer or do you take it to a hazardous waste disposal site?
My waste oil goes to a hazardous waste site. Most anchorages have these sites, in the French islands they are more convenient than ATM machines. I keep a separate five gallon jug just for waste and dump it whenever convenient or full.

Living at anchor the space taken up by two additional 20 liter jerry jugs would be too valuable. If they were not so expensive outside of North America I would throw away one of the two I have and buy a pail or something whenever I needed to change or transfer my 10 gallons of hydraulic oil. Prices $36 US in St. Lucia, $44 in Martinique.
__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #26
Guru
 
City: Venice Louisiana
Country: United States
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,097
Why not just put the "clean" hydraulic oil in the fuel tank ? instead of giving it away for someone else to use as fuel. Ignorance and old wifes tales are rampant on this subject. On the subject of diesel in the steering fluid, it is a much smaller oil volume in the system but I dont think a small amount would hurt. I wouldnt purposely use diesel to thin it. If your steering is to quick or hard a bigger cylinder would help.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #27
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
My waste oil goes to a hazardous waste site. Most anchorages have these sites, in the French islands they are more convenient than ATM machines. I keep a separate five gallon jug just for waste and dump it whenever convenient or full.

Living at anchor the space taken up by two additional 20 liter jerry jugs would be too valuable. If they were not so expensive outside of North America I would throw away one of the two I have and buy a pail or something whenever I needed to change or transfer my 10 gallons of hydraulic oil. Prices $36 US in St. Lucia, $44 in Martinique.
That makes sense. Thanks.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012