It's a goal! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #668
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
singles and twins, redux . . .

No, no, a thousand times no! I am not rehashing that ancient argument. But just want to comment that when one backs out of the slip, ready for a day of boating, and finds to one's horror that the hydraulic steering is kaput, and there is a strong incoming tide, and there is a brisk wind blowing . . . that it is awfully nice to have those twin engines to maneuver back into the slip!

Spoken with the voice of experience, by the way. Today.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #669
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
#668....#669....The world wonders..

And I hear ya' about the steering failure. I have a bit of a hydraulic steering leak. Normal practice is to top up with an ounce or two of fluid, if necessary, before heading out. Last season, slowly edged out of slip, NOT touching the wheel at all, as is per usual, aligned with the fairway and.....instantaneous but momentary pucker moment. Used the gearshifts to maneuver through short (100 yds or so) s-curve channel out into river where there was no traffic and room to drift and topped up reservoir. No wind, no current but I DO hear ya' Mr. jwnall.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #670

City: Chandler, AZ
I am a believer in twins on a boat... especially if you travel to remote areas. Always have a way out or a backup plan. Lost a prop on a single engine once and did not have a spare. Bought a spare prop after that experience, but of course it never happened again.
subsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #671
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
subsailor,
Sounds like you may be from Ak. Sure wish you guys would say what state your'e from.

Also sounds like you do have experience. I'm for twins too. I've got a 40hp single and would like two 20s but I think the're all twins as in 2 cylinder engines. Two cylinder engines I can do without. Can you imagine trying to sync 2 Harley motorcycle engines?

jwnall,
Very good point. The only times I lust for a twin is when my engine quits, when I back out of a slip and when I back down setting an anchor. Going through a bunch of kelp I like my single.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #672
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Sounds like you may be from Ak. Sure wish you guys would say what state your'e from.
I'm thinking chandler, AZ.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #673
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
No, no, a thousand times no! I am not rehashing that ancient argument. But just want to comment that when one backs out of the slip, ready for a day of boating, and finds to one's horror that the hydraulic steering is kaput, and there is a strong incoming tide, and there is a brisk wind blowing . . . that it is awfully nice to have those twin engines to maneuver back into the slip!

Spoken with the voice of experience, by the way. Today.

John
here we go again..............more proof that twin owners tend to overlook maintenence relying on that, extra engine to bail them out. Kinda like the guy that wears suspenders and a belt huh?

But I must say that I'm happy to hear your breakdown didnt result in any damage except to your pride. In my boat owners emergency repair kit is a bottle of good scotch and a roll of duct tape which works everytime.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #674
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I've got a creeping wheel right now...that is, when I get to the point that it should stop, it just kinda creeps more and more to that direction. Two weeks ago while waiting for a bridge to open on the ICW around 6:30 AM, my single engine wouldn't respond with any throttle, and the current was pushing me toward the bridge. I used the bow thruster to spin the boat around and barely idled back south on the ICW to a small lake nearby, and once there, everything started working again. I changed the filters for the heck of it, but never learned what it may have been. Still looking
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #675
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I've got a creeping wheel right now...that is, when I get to the point that it should stop, it just kinda creeps more and more to that direction. Two weeks ago while waiting for a bridge to open on the ICW around 6:30 AM, my single engine wouldn't respond with any throttle, and the current was pushing me toward the bridge. I used the bow thruster to spin the boat around and barely idled back south on the ICW to a small lake nearby, and once there, everything started working again. I changed the filters for the heck of it, but never learned what it may have been. Still looking
scary. So you had no throttle, just idle? Your wheel creeps? Two separate problems correct? The transmission was working ok right?
Sorry for all the questions i am just trying to visulize what was going on during this incident
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #676
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Have at it guys, this is the topic that refuses to die gracefully

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #677
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
scary. So you had no throttle, just idle? Your wheel creeps? Two separate problems correct? The transmission was working ok right?
Sorry for all the questions i am just trying to visulize what was going on during this incident
I was on my way up to Stuart, FL, where I am now, and rebuilding the cylinder that obviously has a bad seal (fluid under pressure leaking to the other side). I had no throttle, and when I tried, the diesel acted as if it would stall. I was facing the bridge and the current was directing me toward it. When I spun the boat, thankfully there was no one else around, I bit my lip and put the tranny in forward. The engine kept running, but barely. Against the current, it took me forever to get back to the lake where just as suddenly, everything was working again. The trouble with a creeping wheel is that your rudder has a lot less resistance to currents, and one needs to adjust the wheel more. Not such a bad problem in itself, but when you've got a weak rudder control and no throttle to direct against the rudder, holly cow, what a pucker factor.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #678
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I was on my way up to Stuart, FL, where I am now, and rebuilding the cylinder that obviously has a bad seal (fluid under pressure leaking to the other side). I had no throttle, and when I tried, the diesel acted as if it would stall. I was facing the bridge and the current was directing me toward it. When I spun the boat, thankfully there was no one else around, I bit my lip and put the tranny in forward. The engine kept running, but barely. Against the current, it took me forever to get back to the lake where just as suddenly, everything was working again. The trouble with a creeping wheel is that your rudder has a lot less resistance to currents, and one needs to adjust the wheel more. Not such a bad problem in itself, but when you've got a weak rudder control and no throttle to direct against the rudder, holly cow, what a pucker factor.
I can feel it.Whew...thanks for the explanation.

I've had that issue before but not in a boat i think with a tractor...can't remember what the solution was. Seems to me it had something to do with water or air bubble cutting off the fuel flow. Yes, it would start and idle fine but wouldn't go..... No, i remember now, it was the strainer in the tank that was disintergratimg from rust that wouldnt allow fuel to flow. I replaced the strainer filters and bleed the system and she has been fine ever since. That was my old Ford 2000 diesel tractor. That strainer was the last thing i got to after checking everything else. what a dummy i was. Hope you find the problem before she strands you some place or worse
Old 02-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #679
Guru

twin vs. single but single is better

With a single one saves approximately 1/3 in fuel costs and 50% of engine maintenance costs. So, my question is, does the advantage of the twin allowing one greater maneuverability and possibly get home protection off set the extra expense of owning a twin?. Remember there are singles that have extra get home motors
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #680
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Yes, but as Charles Lindbergh said, with three engines one has three times the failure rate as one engine. THAT'S WHY HE CHOSE TO HAVE ONE ENGINE RATHER THAN MORE WHEN CROSSING THE ATLANTIC.