Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #601
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Gould View Post
Correct about Grand Banks, at least mostly. Hard to know what you mean by "recently", .
GB itself did not start using the term "trawler" or "trawler yacht" in its literature until the 1990s I believe. Not that others including brokers, magazines, etc. weren't calling them "trawlers" long before this.

The aft cabin Grand Banks has never been called a "motoryacht." It has always been called the "Classic" even in the woody days. The name "Motoryacht" is the model name for the full-width aft cabin model and it has been called that for decades. Other manufacturers call this style "sundeck."

There are only four model names for the Ken Smith-hulled Grand Banks boats: Classic (tri-cabin), Sedan, Europa, and Motoryacht. There have been occasional sub-names for specific versions of some of these models, particularly in the Sedan configuration.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #602

come on guys, just let this go and move on to something new, you know you will feel better for it.

expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #603

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
GB itself did not start using the term "trawler" or "trawler yacht" in its literature until the 1990s I believe. Not that others including brokers, magazines, etc. weren't calling them "trawlers" long before this.

The aft cabin Grand Banks has never been called a "motoryacht." It has always been called the "Classic" even in the woody days. The name "Motoryacht" is the model name for the full-width aft cabin model and it has been called that for decades. Other manufacturers call this style "sundeck."

There are only four model names for the Ken Smith-hulled Grand Banks boats: Classic (tri-cabin), Sedan, Europa, and Motoryacht. There have been occasional sub-names for specific versions of some of these models, particularly in the Sedan configuration.
We are using two versions of the same term to describe a common boat.

I am using the term "aft cabin" in the same way it is commonly used in the brokerage industry; describing what you call a "sundeck" or "full width aft cabin" model. A boat with a cabin abaft the main cabin is often called a "tri-cabin", but we agree that Grand Banks called their boats with a "full width aft cabin" a Motor Yacht
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Yacht.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	15710  
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #604
Scraping Paint

Interesting. Don't know what brokerages you have experience with. But the GB brokers and GB people I have experience with all call the Classic an "aft cabin" boat. Or a "tri-cabin." They call the GB Motoryacht a "full width aft cabin" boat. Never heard the term "aft cabin" applied to the Motoryacht before.

Semantics, I guess, in the case of your example, or perhaps brokers not that familiar with GB's history and nomenclature.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #605
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
What the hell do the SEMITES have to do with this?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #606
Scraping Paint

Words, RTF. You're thinking of the bugs that eat semi-tractors.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #607
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
What the hell do the SEMITES have to do with this?
We talken bout 666 again?!?! LOL

That numbers not due for another 59 posts...
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #608

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Interesting. Don't know what brokerages you have experience with. But the GB brokers and GB people I have experience with all call the Classic an "aft cabin" boat. Or a "tri-cabin." They call the GB Motoryacht a "full width aft cabin" boat. Never heard the term "aft cabin" applied to the Motoryacht before.

Semantics, I guess, in the case of your example, or perhaps brokers not that familiar with GB's history and nomenclature.
Semantics.

Here are another couple of examples of boats commonly called "aft cabins". Neither is a trawler, but certain generic terms (such as "sedan") are often applied specifically to trawlers- even if not used in a particular factory's official sales literature. What these two vessels share in common with the Motor Yacht series from GB is a master stateroom farthest aft, and a need to step up to the "sundeck" to cross from side to side at the stern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft cabin 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	15711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft cabin 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	15712  
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #609
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Are we there yet?

Rumor was 500 is the absolute max. Like the oft predicted end of the world, nothing happened, now the max looks like infinity. Someone please turn off the life support system.
Oh no, I just fed the beast again. Roll on 666.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #610
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I'm going to lurk quietly and nab #999
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #611

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Keep in mind that the more the posts, the more disk space needed on the server, and the more it costs to support this forum.

A charge by the post might help keep this thread from reaching infinity!
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #612
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
More hits = More disk space = more ad revenue.

Great Laker, it must be fun to have the fastest true Trawler (oops that is another thread) on the forum, a single at that!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #613
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
Keep in mind that the more the posts, the more disk space needed on the server, and the more it costs to support this forum.

A charge by the post might help keep this thread from reaching infinity!
Laker,
I agree but until your post I really didn't know but was quite sure it must be costly in some way.
I think quoting a big post (especially w pics) whereas your'e only referring to a few sentences should be AVOIDED. With the copy and paste feature one can surgically choose only what is needed to copy and paste and seeing the same big picture over and over is wasteful too. I don't know much about computers but I do know how to copy and paste so PM me as needed.

But I disagree w you that any thread should be a certain length. Posting meaningless posts just to make the number go up is silly and wasteful though. But one must recall that having fun is a serious goal too. I think we do need to stop being wasteful though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #614
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I think quoting a big post (especially w pics) whereas your'e only referring to a few sentences should be AVOIDED.

Man, I sure agree with that one! Nothing looks more ridiculous than seeing a huge post with a thousand lines of text or a series of photos that have little if anything to do with the subject other than a "me too me too' value quoted in its entirety only to be followed by a single line ...
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #615
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

Man, I sure agree with that one! Nothing looks more ridiculous than seeing a huge post with a thousand lines of text or a series of photos that have little if anything to do with the subject other than a "me too me too' value quoted in its entirety only to be followed by a single line ...
Me too...

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #616
Guru

City: coos bay
aw come on you guys spot kidding around this is a serious issue that needs anserwed before i buy a new boat. Geez.....If you asked the question I would not take it frivously.............

all kidding aside there as been lots of good info already contributed which i have learned much from but i NEED MORE...........actually naught....I have decided on the boat which is a single, but haveing owning many many boats in my life each new purchase still scares the you know what outa me.

I wish to thank you all for your help

Britt
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #617
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
three engines...wonder if there are any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Lots of 3 engine boats around.
I know I'm late to the party, but there is a boat in our marine that has 2 gas I/Os and one diesel inboard. Yes it is home made. It was an old Chris Craft hull, that had an interior fire. He gutted it and built his own cabin. Why did he install the diesel? As he tells it, a friend dropped it off at his house one night while he was building it, and figured, "why not?".

The water is really clear during this time of year. I'll have to go take a picture this week.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #618
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 45. Ahhh..... NOW you're getting it. Calm down, relax and get a good survey. The single vs twin question WILL go on ad nauseum and I intend to take part in all subsequent pointless discussions. There is NO RIGHT ANSWER!!!!!!! You don't need more.
The MAIN thing is, disregarding the # of engines, extra costs, internet opinions, ER space, galley up, galley down, queens size berths, anchors, electronics, spitballs or farts.....Do YOU like the boat and do YOU think the boat will do what you want it to do. PERIOD!!!!! Discussion closed...Good grief!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #619
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I think we do need to stop being wasteful though.
You're using the same amount of bandwidth to read a post as you do creating one. It's great for ad revenue though.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #620
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 45. Ahhh..... NOW you're getting it. Calm down, relax and get a good survey. The single vs twin question WILL go on ad nauseum and I intend to take part in all subsequent pointless discussions. There is NO RIGHT ANSWER!!!!!!! You don't need more.
The MAIN thing is, disregarding the # of engines, extra costs, internet opinions, ER space, galley up, galley down, queens size berths, anchors, electronics, spitballs or farts.....Do YOU like the boat and do YOU think the boat will do what you want it to do. PERIOD!!!!! Discussion closed...Good grief!
....thanks, and your right, but the fact is i have had lots of boats becuse i have yet to find one that will do everything i want a boat to do.
I'm looking forward to just putting around watching the sun come up and then set over and over as i travel from point A to point B in a vessel that takes three days to do what i am used to doing in one or less.

A good survey, how can i be sure the guy i find can do a good survey? That is a bit scary.

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote