Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #361
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
But then you would need a propeller capable of absorbing the full power and that prop would be way too lightly loaded in normal operation to produce much thrust.

Such a setup would require a pair of CPP wheels to be of much use and that setup would negate any cost savings plus add another layer of complexity and maintenance demands.

What's the point?

There is a good reason that the opposite of that scheme is the only method with a history of successful marine application, that is two engines (or more) driving a single shaft.
The chain(s) would be oversized solely for the purpose of insuring that the second (remaining) chain would not break following instantaneous failure of the opposite chain/shaft in a high power scenario...a safety consideration...that's all. Thinking in terms of a retrofit of something like a 46 GB with twin 375's or more. (I keep forgetting this is a mostly Lehman web site). Anyway, a 400 HP single would probably get 13-14 knots at max output for occasional use, but run comfortably at 8-9 kts ...where "fast trawlers" operate these days anyway. In fact one of those 375's could be pulled out and the remaining engine might do the job of getting the hull "on plane" for the occasional burst of speed. Objective would be to stay with existing gearboxes...maybe props...or possibly upsize props very slightly. The chain drive arrangement allows a great deal of flexibility in overall ratio. Of course changes would depend on capabilities of existing structure, loads, shafts, transmissions and clearances. Should be an overall weight reduction, the engine runs higher on the power curve at slow speed....possible fuel savings especially if the props were optimized.

Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #362

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Of all the goofy arguments ever advanced, the one presently peddled here has to take the cake. "You single engine guys are all scared s***tless of the water! If you were really manly men, you'd be proud to have your running gear exposed to damage from a log strike or grounding! You'd simply laugh at the risk, and consider boating more enjoyable as a result! Heck, I know of a guy who motored right past a number of suitable boatyards with a 9 square foot hole in his hull! That of course proves it's a smart practice for everybody else and that ripping off a stabilizer is no big deal- at least not for a really manly man. If you had any cajones at all, you'd be well advised drag them through the water, fully exposed, like us real mariners do." Of course, that's both exaggerated and misstated beyond what was posted- furnishing me with an example with which to make my point.

Ever notice that people who lack any convincing argument thrive on misstating or distorting an alternative point of view? That they then attack not the originally expressed idea, but their own distorted misstatement of same? It is more often the guy who is entirely unsure of himself who cannot tolerate an opposing opinion.

Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #363
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Can we talk about "anchors" now...?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #364
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Can we talk about "anchors" now...?
Why??...sounds like we are venturing into psychology now...

Ought to be a blast!!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #365

Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
Mahal: Anything protruding from the hull, including a stabilizer, increases the risk of damage to the hull from striking debris (like one of those wonderful, barely submerged cargo containers people hit from time to time) or grounding. The risk is substantial enough that, for example, many of the new "pod" drive systems are specifically designed to break away from the hull in the event of a catastrophic impact. Better to buy a new drive leg than a new boat.

When considering the advantages and disadvantages of both twin and single engine design, everybody will need to evaluate and assess the risk of unprotected running gear. Individual perspectives will apply. To me, if the other 10 reasons I prefer a single engine didn't exist, I would still be reluctant to own a twin screw boat because of the risk to the exposed shafts, more exposed props, and the possibility of holing the hull by tearing out a strut. That doesn't mean that my considerations make the purchase of a twin screw boat ill-advised for others, and it doesn't make me less of a boater or more "fearful of the water" as some twin screw boaters here want to insist.
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #366
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Giggitoni. Since I am storing several of my NUMEROUS anchors of various profiles in the spare spaces in my ER as well as under my foam topped coil mattress, would I be best to stack them or lay them flat? Would my rode (rope or chain?-Which is best?) be more or less likely to get caught up in the flywheel(s) of a single or a twin engine installation? Which anchor style AND weight would be best to minimize a "lethal" opening below the water line when the anchor gets flung about at high speed in the ER following rode entanglement with above mentioned flywheel(s)? YOU seem to have the most level head in this thread currently.
Mr. psneeld. Isn't the whole internet about psychology? "MY centipede is FASTER than your pathetic millipede....Here, hold my beer and watch this!"
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #367
THD
Guru

Chcuk-or you could have a twin with fully protected shafts, props and rudders, no struts at all, and then you are left with the primal decision-one engine or two?

Maybe we need to add dinghies to the discussion-one oar or two?
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #368
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. THD. "Them's not oars. Them's me wife and daughters....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #369
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Giggitoni. Since I am storing several of my NUMEROUS anchors of various profiles in the spare spaces in my ER as well as under my foam topped coil mattress, would I be best to stack them or lay them flat? Would my rode (rope or chain?-Which is best?) be more or less likely to get caught up in the flywheel(s) of a single or a twin engine installation? Which anchor style AND weight would be best to minimize a "lethal" opening below the water line when the anchor gets flung about at high speed in the ER following rode entanglement with above mentioned flywheel(s)? YOU seem to have the most level head in this thread currently.
Mr. psneeld. Isn't the whole internet about psychology? "MY centipede is FASTER than your pathetic millipede....Here, hold my beer and watch this!"
Yes but it's so much more fun when someone specifically wants to introduce it into a thread.

The only thing more fun is when two puff up their chests and call each other out (and neither could whip a wet noodle) or when someone is so far off base you start to wonder IF THEY ARE toying with the rest of us....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #370
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Toying? Moi?...

er....

Old 01-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #371
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Definitely. More wetted surface creates more drag.

A keel-less boat will have less wetted surface.

A keel can provide protection to shaft, propeller, and rudder.

A two engined/propellered boat will need at least two keels to provide protection. Expect two keels to have more wetted surface then one keel.

If two smaller engines were more efficient than one larger engine of the same total horsepower, wouldn't there be more dual-engined automobiles?
last night thinking about the single vs. twin question that same thought came to mind. Guess that answers the question once and for all. Single engine wins.................wait a minute............the current trend has gone to dual engines in autos. Seems the electric primary motor with a gas engine generator system like the volt is about to take over from the hybrids.
Maybe ten years from now we will see electric powered vessels with a diesel generator powering the motors

so that brings us full circle back to the original question dosent it/
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #372
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
last night thinking about the single vs. twin question that same thought came to mind. Guess that answers the question once and for all. Single engine wins.................wait a minute............the current trend has gone to dual engines in autos. Seems the electric primary motor with a gas engine generator system like the volt is about to take over from the hybrids.
Maybe ten years from now we will see electric powered vessels with a diesel generator powering the motors

so that brings us full circle back to the original question dosent it/
D&D Motor Systems - Electric Boat Motors

Electric Yacht | CLEAN, GREEN & QUIET Marine Propulsion Systems!

Electric Boat Motors, Inboard Boat Motors, Electric Drives | Elco Motor Yachts

Electric Marine Propulsion - Questions

Electric, Hybrid and Diesel Marine Propulsion
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #373
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. 45. Already been done!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #374
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
The chain(s) would be oversized solely for the purpose of insuring that the second (remaining) chain would not break following instantaneous failure of the opposite chain/shaft in a high power scenario...a safety consideration...that's all.
If one chain broke at high power the load would momentarily reverse on the other side as it suddenly became driven. Making the chain larger and heavier would only make it more likely to come adrift as that mass was suddenly decelerated with the load reversal then accelerated as the load reversed again.

Quote:
... the engine runs higher on the power curve at slow speed....possible fuel savings especially if the props were optimized.
OK, so how does it run "higher on the curve" at slow speed and still have power reserves to achieve higher loads and speed? This is right back to the old "cruise prop" fantasy of having it both ways.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #375
Guru

City: Trenton
The only time you really need twins is when you are buying or selling.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #376
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
The only time you really need twins is when you are buying or selling.
Hahaha.....I would change that to the only time you need twins is at the marina or when selling
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #377
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
The chain(s) would be oversized solely for the purpose of insuring that the second (remaining) chain would not break following instantaneous failure of the opposite chain/shaft in a high power scenario...a safety consideration...that's all. Thinking in terms of a retrofit of something like a 46 GB with twin 375's or more. (I keep forgetting this is a mostly Lehman web site). Anyway, a 400 HP single would probably get 13-14 knots at max output for occasional use, but run comfortably at 8-9 kts ...where "fast trawlers" operate these days anyway. In fact one of those 375's could be pulled out and the remaining engine might do the job of getting the hull "on plane" for the occasional burst of speed. Objective would be to stay with existing gearboxes...maybe props...or possibly upsize props very slightly. The chain drive arrangement allows a great deal of flexibility in overall ratio. Of course changes would depend on capabilities of existing structure, loads, shafts, transmissions and clearances. Should be an overall weight reduction, the engine runs higher on the power curve at slow speed....possible fuel savings especially if the props were optimized.
seems to me my experiance with smaller boats proved to me that the added hp of twins didnt give much more speed which i blamed on the added drag. A single of the same hp as the two singles would far out preform the twins. But here we aren't concerned with speed but durability and economy right?
This question cannot be answered unless we define it better
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #378
Guru

single with twin props

This link may be of interest. Testing of twin engined craft converted to single engine dual props.

Can One Engine Drive Two Props? | BoatTEST.com
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #379
Guru

Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Wow! I haven't logged on in a day and I just dutifully "scanned" from 306 to 378, so now this is my contribution: buy what you like and watch out for cognitive dissidence.

I love boating. Oh, And I own a diesel yacht, not a trawler. And a sailboat.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #380
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Wow! I love boating. Oh, And I own a diesel yacht, not a trawler. And a sailboat.
Yep, you said that right. I love all boats and each has its specialty at which it excells. sail, power, single, dual, triple, I love em all