City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Al, it is a bottomless pit.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #302
FF
Guru

Al, it is a bottomless pit.

NO it is a religion , just like anchors, fear of gasoline or propane , or for some leaving the dock
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #303
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Wow!! 300 posts and we still haven't settled the question. Let's hope we'll get to the bottom of this in the next 300 posts.
I actually figured it out 3 or 4 boats ago....

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #304
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Wow!! 300 posts and we still haven't settled the question. Let's hope we'll get to the bottom of this in the next 300 posts.
as Eric pointed out in order to answer this question we will have to establish the criteria upon which we will base our answer then graph the results. We would also need a list of the advantages and disadvantages of twins and singles. If we do this it appears that there are only two tentative advantages of twins over singles and those are: 1) manuveurability < trumped by singles with thrusters>
2) less chance of being stranded because of a redundant complete engine system

The advantages of a single according to this thread are:
1) greatly improved fuel efficiency
2) prop and rudder protected by keel
3) less weight allowing for greater cargo
4) half the maintenence costs of a similiar vessel with twins
5) Much quieter operation than twins
6) More room in the engine compartment
7) More storage area for gear
8) initial cost much less than the same boat with twins

have i missed any?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #305
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
(1) manuveurability < trumped by singles with thrusters>
Can't get a thruster on a twin?

Quote:
(1) greatly improved fuel efficiency
Define "greatly"

Quote:
(3) less weight allowing for greater cargo
Bigger boat... no problem stowing everything the wife has shown up with yet.

Quote:
(8) initial cost much less than the same boat with twins
Much better resale value, greater perceived market value among those looking for twins over a single for a 40,000# trawler.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #306
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FlyWright. Nope THAT question will NEVER be settled to the satisfaction of some and there's no RIGHT answer. It's like at the strip. Ya run wut ya brung. The vessel I "babysit" was never offered, as far as I know, with a single option. Would i have preferred a single if I had to make the choice? Yes and I concur with some of Mr. 45's points but I got what I got and that's just fine with me. One can ponder and rationalize until they're blue in the face but, in this the 306th post, I just don't care. By the way the answer to the ultimate question is 42.

Just saw Mr. SS's post to which I might add; singles or twins are as quiet as the sound insulation allows. I have to listen quite intently to synchronize the engines at cruise.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #307
Guru

Much better resale value, greater perceived market value among those looking for twins over a single for a 40,000# trawler. [/QUOTE]

Wife good point and so is the resale value. I guess since the inititial cost is more for a twin that the cost savings mentioned in my list as an advantage for the single is canceled out.

new list
advantages of twins over singles and those are:
1) manuveurability
3) better resale value

8) initial cost much less than the same boat with twins
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #308
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
I was thinking about this sometime in the night with regards to modern tugs, which almost without exception have multiple engines and drives. While they certainly do this for the aforementioned manoeuvrability and system redundancy, I think there are a couple of other good reasons as well.

Draft......Overall draft (with equal power and thrust) will be less with twin drives than with a single prop. This adds versatility to the job envelope......

Power Density.....In general it's possible to cram more horsepower into a smaller hull using twins. This pays off in smaller build costs and lower operating due to manning requirements based on tonnage. It doesn’t really apply to recreational boats except that (at least in theory) there could be more accommodation space and a smaller engine room.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #309
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:

Much better resale value, greater perceived market value among those looking for twins over a single for a 40,000# trawler.

Wife good point and so is the resale value. I guess since the inititial cost is more for a twin that the cost savings mentioned in my list as an advantage for the single is canceled out.

new list
advantages of twins over singles and those are:
1) manuveurability
3) better resale value

8) initial cost much less than the same boat with twins[/QUOTE]

by PSNEELD- Your lists are inaccurate because there are too many examples of one being just the opposite....go back to square one....nevermind, don't start over...it's a waste of bandwidth to come up with absolutes that aren't...compare two boats side by side..but two general categories and all you can produce is generalities.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #310
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
I was thinking about this sometime in the night with regards to modern tugs, which almost without exception have multiple engines and drives. While they certainly do this for the aforementioned manoeuvrability and system redundancy, I think there are a couple of other good reasons as well.

Draft......Overall draft (with equal power and thrust) will be less with twin drives than with a single prop. This adds versatility to the job envelope......

Power Density.....In general it's possible to cram more horsepower into a smaller hull using twins. This pays off in smaller build costs and lower operating due to manning requirements based on tonnage. It doesn’t really apply to recreational boats except that (at least in theory) there could be more accommodation space and a smaller engine room.
Are you saying that the addition of a second drive system's added weight results in less draft?

Power density? Hadn't thought of that. I tend to think of fuel economy and hull speed but then i am thinking of recreational boats
Old 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #311
Guru

you got a point there, so how to we answer the original question?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #312
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Tads right in respect to less draft with twins. Think deeper keel with the single engine. To build to a required Bollard pull is easier with twin engine setup. Because of the configuration of the engine room setup, it is usually more tonnage (Think documentation tonnage). Remember, tonnage is a volumetric calculation rather than a weight calculation.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #313
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
you got a point there, so how to we answer the original question?

you...nor anyone else can.......
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #314
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Like TAD said some time ago. Singles are about CHEAP. They cost considerably less. So the greatest advantage of singles is that ther'e cheaper.

And Ilm not convinced singles are more efficient. Twins are more efficient in one significant way. They don't need to deploy their rudders 3 to 6 degrees to keep the boat going straight. Prop walk in forward gear is at least as effectual as it is in reverse but it's effects are felt all day long. And other than the drag of shafts and struts ther'e is no difference except w our typical double power twins except that they are over a ton more in weight to the singles. For slow vessels the amount of power required is most often calculated by the amount of power per ton of displacement so the extra weight is basically directly proportional to the extra fuel burn.

So if you realistically compare twins w the same disp and power (no other way is valid) I think personally that twins will come out ahead. I know most disagree w me but that what I think and why I think it. It all hinges on the question of "is the drag of the prop walk greater than the drag of the struts.

So to compare them honestly you'd need to create a pair of boats both halving their shafts going through a keel and their keel area must be the same and their total power must be the same. Or none of their shafts located inside their keels. I know of no such pair of boats

So if one compares the typical trawler w it's single engine shaft going through the keel w much less weight ... To ... The twin w both shafts dragging through the water and w all that extra weight
SURE the single will be more efficient!

But if tou want to compare singles and twins on equal terms I suspect the twin would come out more efficient.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #315
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
[QUOTE=bfloyd4445;124990]as Eric pointed out in order to answer this question we will have to establish the criteria upon which we will base our answer then graph the results. We would also need a list of the advantages and disadvantages of twins and singles. If we do this it appears that there are only two tentative advantages of twins over singles and those are: 1) manuveurability < trumped by singles with thrusters>

1) greatly improved fuel efficiency Wrong
2) prop and rudder protected by keel Many twins have deep keels
3) less weight allowing for greater cargo Silly concept on a trawler
4) half the maintenence costs of a similiar vessel with twins Baloney, price out oil changes on a pair of JD 4045s vs a JD 6081.
5) Much quieter operation than twins Two engines at 80 dba or one at 80 dba is same noise
6) More room in the engine compartment If you are comparing a 34' sincle to a 48 foot twin, baloney
7) More storage area for gear Really, gear or junk
8) initial cost much less than the same boat with twins I have recent new boat price lists with a large single vs a set of smaller twins, not much difference overall
have i missed any Yes, there are few single engine choices above 45' unless you go with a very expensive builder such as Nordhavn or Selene. Many twin alternatives are available at much lower costs for a similar sized boat
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #316
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Tads right in respect to less draft with twins. Think deeper keel with the single engine. To build to a required Bollard pull is easier with twin engine setup. Because of the configuration of the engine room setup, it is usually more tonnage (Think documentation tonnage). Remember, tonnage is a volumetric calculation rather than a weight calculation.
I wasn't saying he was wrong i just didnt understand. Thinking about it the light bulb has lit thank you
Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #317
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Like TAD said some time ago. Singles are about CHEAP. They cost considerably less. So the greatest advantage of singles is that ther'e cheaper.

And Ilm not convinced singles are more efficient. Twins are more efficient in one significant way. They don't need to deploy their rudders 3 to 6 degrees to keep the boat going straight. Prop walk in forward gear is at least as effectual as it is in reverse but it's effects are felt all day long. And other than the drag of shafts and struts ther'e is no difference except w our typical double power twins except that they are over a ton more in weight to the singles. For slow vessels the amount of power required is most often calculated by the amount of power per ton of displacement so the extra weight is basically directly proportional to the extra fuel burn.

So if you realistically compare twins w the same disp and power (no other way is valid) I think personally that twins will come out ahead. I know most disagree w me but that what I think and why I think it. It all hinges on the question of "is the drag of the prop walk greater than the drag of the struts.

So to compare them honestly you'd need to create a pair of boats both halving their shafts going through a keel and their keel area must be the same and their total power must be the same. Or none of their shafts located inside their keels. I know of no such pair of boats

So if one compares the typical trawler w it's single engine shaft going through the keel w much less weight ... To ... The twin w both shafts dragging through the water and w all that extra weight
SURE the single will be more efficient!

But if tou want to compare singles and twins on equal terms I suspect the twin would come out more efficient.
are there any single engined duo proped trawlers? There are boat power system manufacturers that use two counter rotating props on the same shaft with a single engine. Volvo and Merc both make I/O systems like this
Prop walk loss is still there with a twin just that the off tracking is canceled by the other engine. So wouldn't you still have a net loss in efficiency with the twin?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #318
Guru

[QUOTE=sunchaser;125043][QUOTE=bfloyd4445;124990]1) manuveurability < trumped by singles with thrusters>

1) greatly improved fuel efficiency Wrong Based upon what others have said in this forum there is a fuel savings
2) prop and rudder protected by keel Many twins have deep keels True but all single engine displacement trawlers have protection
3) less weight allowing for greater cargo Silly concept on a trawler No so, i can think of many trips in which every available bit of space was filled with food drink toys for the raft up party on the 4th. One can always use extra space
4) half the maintenence costs of a similiar vessel with twins Baloney, price out oil changes on a pair of JD 4045s vs a JD 6081. Thats like comparing an apple to a pear. I was thinking like one lehman as opposed to two
5) Much quieter operation than twins Two engines at 80 dba or one at 80 dba is same noise I find it hard to believe that a 36gb with twins has the same level of cabin noise as one with a single
6) More room in the engine compartment If you are comparing a 34' sincle to a 48 foot twin, baloney I'm comparing like boat to like boat. Not accurate to compare a porsch to a vw
7) More storage area for gear Really, gear or junk .....your right it will likely end up filled with her junk
8) initial cost much less than the same boat with twins I have recent new boat price lists with a large single vs a set of smaller twins, not much difference overall interesting idea, i will have to check that out. Thanks
have i missed any Yes, there are few single engine choices above 45' unless you go with a very expensive builder such as Nordhavn or Selene. Many twin alternatives are available at much lower costs for a similar sized boat Thats another varible we havent nailed down, vessel size. I'm thinking under 49ft
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #319
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric--- With regards to your above post, it would be interesting to know how the drag of a twin engine boat like our GB36 compares to the drag of the single engine version of the same boat.

The reason I wonder about this is that while our twin engine boat has a pair of shafts, struts, and spade rudders, the deep keel of our boat is cut short and reverse-curves up to blend into the bottom of the boat. As opposed to the deep keel of the single-engine boat which is carried a fair amount farther back to culminate in a vertical trailing ege and a shoe supporting a big rudder.

Don't know how it works with hydrodynamics but the single engine GB36 has, I think, more wetted surface than the twin. Would this result in more drag?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #320
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Definitely. More wetted surface creates more drag.

A keel-less boat will have less wetted surface.

A keel can provide protection to shaft, propeller, and rudder.

A two engined/propellered boat will need at least two keels to provide protection. Expect two keels to have more wetted surface then one keel.

If two smaller engines were more efficient than one larger engine of the same total horsepower, wouldn't there be more dual-engined automobiles?