Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #261
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Anyone can stand their ground....long life experiences don't make you right (as per some TF members who think a lifetime of experience, actual work in that field and an armful of certifications still don't make your opinions worth anything...)....

You can get persnickety about correctness of terms....but whether fishermen, old British guys, brokers, Grand Bank owners,etc...etc....don't want to call a Grand Banks a trawler...that's just fine....

But in the long run most boaters will call a Grand Banks a trawler....and like a shoe or skeg on a boat...who gives a crap in the big scheme of things.......it's not like arguing the port or starboard side of a boat which IS important...

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #262
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Chapman: "Within the commercial fishing community, the word "trawler" has a specific meaning relating to a style of fishing, but in recreational boating the term is used much more loosely. In general, a cruiser that does not have sufficient horsepower to get into a planing mode is known as a TRAWLER. ..."

Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #263
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mark that dictionary of yours is a powerful thing.

Skidgear,
Shocked again! What on earth could you base that opinion on? And what boat do you think most represents a trawler?

By marks dictionatorial definition a 52 foot Chris w a 3hp Johnson clamped to the swim stet would be about as trawler as one could get.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #264
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
skeg:
Nautical Dictionary, Glossary and Terms directory: Search Results

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/skeg

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skeg

shoe:
Nautical Dictionary, Glossary and Terms directory: Search Results

trawler:
http://www.seatalk.info/cgi-bin/naut...=Look+it+up%21

More fuel for the fire, but consider that the above is from the Internet.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #265
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
By marks dictionatorial definition a 52 foot Chris w a 3hp Johnson clamped to the swim stet would be about as trawler as one could get.
Or this one ... it is a fantastic "cruiser" and it doesn't have enough power to plane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Derecktor-85m-Superyacht-Cakewalk-7.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	15467  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #266
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Maybe that's why Lizzie got rid of the Brittania - didn't want to be hanging around with us trawler-trash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BRITANNIA_691.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	15468  
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #267

City: Texas
A single engine boat has more room in the engineroom which allowes one to more closely view and monitor the related systems. You are right, one will have more access to and therefore be able to or more willing to do preventive maintance. For me to contorte around a set of twins make me unwilling to work around there. In a single engineroom I am more able to move around therfore more willing.
Rockyaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyaj1 View Post
A single engine boat has more room in the engineroom which allowes one to more closely view and monitor the related systems. You are right, one will have more access to and therefore be able to or more willing to do preventive maintance. For me to contorte around a set of twins make me unwilling to work around there. In a single engineroom I am more able to move around therfore more willing.
Folks, the post above should end all single vs. twin debates. The secret answer has been revealed - twin engined boats are less reliable because owners do not or are less likely to monitor their engines. Marin and others with twins, you need to stop driving your boats with pumps that have missing impeller blades, frayed belts, collapsed hoses, clogged heat exchangers and who knows what else.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #269
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
A single engine boat has more room in the engineroom which allowes one to more closely view and monitor the related systems.
I think the issue becomes sorta moot as you increase boat size. And the larger boats would supposedly have twins instead of singles. But if you take a boat that is normally designed for a single and cram twins inside, then yeah, it'll be damn cramped down there.

Doesn't look cramped in there, but that's a 72' ship.

Engine room on the USS Hornet:

Others are very tight indeed:

Maybe shoulda gone with single engine instead of twins.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #270
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Folks, the post above should end all single vs. twin debates. The secret answer has been revealed - twin engined boats are less reliable because owners do not or are less likely to monitor their engines. Marin and others with twins, you need to stop driving your boats with pumps that have missing impeller blades, frayed belts, collapsed hoses, clogged heat exchangers and who knows what else.
...chuckle...well said
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #271
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Last week I had the shocking experience of listening to a man with life long experience in boating more than equal to most here on TF say that a GB was not a trawler.
Well, since American Marine never referred to their Grand Banks line of boats as "trawlers" he was correct. The current company, Grand Banks, Llc, has taken to using the term "trawler yacht" in their promotional material and website but that's simply an acknowledgment of the marketing hype that gave birth to the notion of a recreational "trawler" in the first place.

If your market insists on calling your product a "trawler," then it would be a foolish manufacturer who continued to call them something else even if that something else was actually correct. If everyone started called shoes "footies" instead of shoes, Nike would soon start calling themselves a "footie company," not a shoe company.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #272
Guru

Quote:

Skidgear,
Shocked again! What on earth could you base that opinion on? And what boat do you think most represents a trawler?
OK then....I'm shocked that you're shocked that I was shocked!!

The boats represented on this web site are poseurs one and all. Nothing wrong with that mind you.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #273
Scraping Paint

Quote:
A single engine boat has more room in the engineroom which allowes one to more closely view and monitor the related systems. You are right, one will have more access to and therefore be able to or more willing to do preventive maintance.
You mean the last 14 years that I have spent meticulously maintaining the two engines in our boat--- or having them maintained when doing things like replacing engine mounts, exhaust systems and so on exceeded my experience or time available--- religiously changing the injection pump oil, servicing seacocks, checking hoses, replacing impellers and belts, inspecting for oil, coolant, and fuel leaks, cleaning raw water filters, bleeding the exhaust manifold to ensure there is no air pocket at the high point before every cold start-- something I doubt any FL120 operator does, single or twin--- and so on, most of which require getting to both sides of both engines, I've been doing it wrong?

That for the last 14 years we should have been driving our twin-engine boat with no thought whatsoever to the engines, secure in the knowledge that if one engine fails we have the other one?

I promise to mend my ways for the next 14 years.

"A single owner is more wiling to or able to do preventative maintenance than a twin owner." What an absurd assumption.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #274
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You mean the last 14 years that I have spent meticulously maintaining the two engines in our boat--- or having them maintained when doing things like replacing engine mounts, exhaust systems and so on exceeded my experience or time available--- religiously changing the injection pump oil, servicing seacocks, checking hoses, replacing impellers and belts, inspecting for oil, coolant, and fuel leaks, cleaning raw water filters, bleeding the exhaust manifold to ensure there is no air pocket at the high point before every cold start-- something I doubt any FL120 operator does, single or twin--- and so on, most of which require getting to both sides of both engines, I've been doing it wrong?

That for the last 14 years we should have been driving our twin-engine boat with no thought whatsoever to the engines, secure in the knowledge that if one engine fails we have the other one?

I promise to mend my ways for the next 14 years.

"A single owner is more wiling to or able to do preventative maintenance than a twin owner." What an absurd assumption.
you did all that and still had an engine breakdown??......that convinces me, single engine is best. Kinda proves what someone said about it being hard to be thorough with two engines cause of the cramped space
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #275
Scraping Paint

We have never had an engine breakdown. We had raw water cooling problems three times--- failed coolant pump seal on the initial delivery trip from Tacoma to Bellingham after the the boat was trucked up from California, and two instances of raw water exterior intake partial blockages (from outside the boat) that prompted precautionary shutdowns, and one time I let an engine get a slug of air during a fuel transfer for a reason that was totally my fault and we didn't want to take the time to bleed the engine because our guests had to get home by a particular time so we simply finished the run on one.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #276
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
To confuse the issue further, our old wooden boat had a "worm shoe". A sacrificial piece of wood running the length of the keel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Worm Shoe 01.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	15470  
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #277
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I really don't see it as adding to the confusion...the guy who first started using the term "shoe" probably meant it to refer to a "protector part" ...not an integral part of the keel.

To me its easy and logical...but that doesn't always make it correct!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #278
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We have never had an engine breakdown. We had raw water cooling problems three times--- failed coolant pump seal on the initial delivery trip from Tacoma to Bellingham after the the boat was trucked up from California, and two instances of raw water exterior intake partial blockages (from outside the boat) that prompted precautionary shutdowns, and one time I let an engine get a slug of air during a fuel transfer for a reason that was totally my fault and we didn't want to take the time to bleed the engine because our guests had to get home by a particular time so we simply finished the run on one.
humm...so you have had more than one failure with twin engines....So maybe since two is better than one engine that three engines would be even better than one impecably maintained engine? Or maybe that single engine failure is less common cause they never make it back to port for documentation creating the illusion that twins may be more dependable/

three engines...wonder if there are any. Is'nt this like in the early days of aircraft when extra engines were seen to increase dependability? The trend has been to fewer engines and for good reason

In fifty years of boating, none in a trawler, i never had a single engine failures.One duck blind, one loose anchor rode, one gravel bar, caused my engine to stop in fifty years but none because of engine or related systems failure all because of my failure.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #279
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

three engines...wonder if there are any. Is'nt this like in the early days of aircraft when extra engines were seen to increase dependability? The trend has been to fewer engines and for good reason.
Lots of 3 engine boats around.

Early flying machines added engines to provide enough power to get off the ground ... they couldn't make a single engine with enough power so they just kept adding them until the thing would fly and carry a load. Take a look at the Linke-Hoffman R.II for example.

If we had giant turbofans around in the 1950s we probably wouldn't have had so many 4 engine planes. Marin can probably supply some good leads on Boeing's take on that subject.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #280
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Lots of 3 engine boats around.

t.
this isnt exactly what i had in mind
Motor Yacht Pershing 108 - a Pershing Superyacht

all the fishing trawlers and pleasure boats i could find were two engined