Single engine CHB Trawler shaft bearing replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

va3mrj

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tearsa Morgan
Vessel Make
CHB 34 dc
My 34 CHB has a single engine, shaft comes out of the keel through a mounting plate that hold the shaft bearing. My question is can I remove the prop, and the bearing housing from the keel and change the bering leaving the shaft in place.

I have done sailboats with struts and done it with and without removing the shaft. This is different because no way to get forward of the bearing, but its seem there are only two studs and nuts holding on the bearing housing. Why cannot you just unbolt the housing and slide it off the shaft the change the bearing on the bench with a press, slid back on and rebolt to the keel with sealant?

Appreciate any comments from people that have done a shaft bearing on a trawler with no strut and a brearing housing in the keel.

Many thanks

My 34 CHB has a single engine, shaft comes out of the keel through a mounting plate that hold the shaft bearing. My question is can I remove the prop, and the bearing housing from the keel and change the bering leaving the shaft in place.

I have done sailboats with struts and done it with and without removing the shaft. This is different because no way to get forward of the bearing, but its seem there are only two studs and nuts holding on the bearing housing. Why cannot you just unbolt the housing and slide it off the shaft the change the bearing on the bench with a press, slid back on and rebolt to the keel with sealant?

Appreciate any comments from people that have done a shaft bearing on a trawler with no strut and a brearing housing in the keel.

Many thanks

You can do exactly that. I did. Only concern I had was potentially opening a can of worms if the bolts were badly corroded.

It all went smoothly thankfully.

Had to back out the shaft a bit to get prop puller on. Now I just have to remove
The bearing housing. Removed jam nuts and two nuts holding on to studs. Trying to break seal but am damaging glass behind it. How did you get yours off?

Greetings,
Mr va. Oh dear. It may be that the housing is threaded onto the shaft tube. I have no idea if it is or not but I vaguely recall it was on our 1974 MT. Have you tried gently heating up the bearing housing to potentially soften any sealant between the housing and the hull?

On my Marine Trader the bearing carrier was to read it to the stern tube
just remove the bolts and unscrew it.. but most importantly have someone inside with a pipe wrench on the stern tube for hold back

Mine was not threaded on and game right off with some persuasion. I'm inclined to agree with the previous posters - it is probably threaded on to the stern tube.

Thanks

Mine was not threaded on and game right off with some persuasion. I'm inclined to agree with the previous posters - it is probably threaded on to the stern tube.

Thanks for all the tips. I think it’s threads on

Back
Top Bottom