Old 05-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #1

City: Kitchener
Vessel Name: Tic Tac
Vessel Model: Abin 43 dc
Single engine CHB Trawler shaft bearing replacement

My 34 CHB has a single engine, shaft comes out of the keel through a mounting plate that hold the shaft bearing. My question is can I remove the prop, and the bearing housing from the keel and change the bering leaving the shaft in place.

I have done sailboats with struts and done it with and without removing the shaft. This is different because no way to get forward of the bearing, but its seem there are only two studs and nuts holding on the bearing housing. Why cannot you just unbolt the housing and slide it off the shaft the change the bearing on the bench with a press, slid back on and rebolt to the keel with sealant?

Appreciate any comments from people that have done a shaft bearing on a trawler with no strut and a brearing housing in the keel.

Many thanks

va3mrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Waves of Grace
Vessel Model: Universal 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mrj View Post
My 34 CHB has a single engine, shaft comes out of the keel through a mounting plate that hold the shaft bearing. My question is can I remove the prop, and the bearing housing from the keel and change the bering leaving the shaft in place.

I have done sailboats with struts and done it with and without removing the shaft. This is different because no way to get forward of the bearing, but its seem there are only two studs and nuts holding on the bearing housing. Why cannot you just unbolt the housing and slide it off the shaft the change the bearing on the bench with a press, slid back on and rebolt to the keel with sealant?

Appreciate any comments from people that have done a shaft bearing on a trawler with no strut and a brearing housing in the keel.

Many thanks
You can do exactly that. I did. Only concern I had was potentially opening a can of worms if the bolts were badly corroded.

It all went smoothly thankfully.

hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #3

Had to back out the shaft a bit to get prop puller on. Now I just have to remove
The bearing housing. Removed jam nuts and two nuts holding on to studs. Trying to break seal but am damaging glass behind it. How did you get yours off?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr va. Oh dear. It may be that the housing is threaded onto the shaft tube. I have no idea if it is or not but I vaguely recall it was on our 1974 MT. Have you tried gently heating up the bearing housing to potentially soften any sealant between the housing and the hull?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
Guru

On my Marine Trader the bearing carrier was to read it to the stern tube
just remove the bolts and unscrew it.. but most importantly have someone inside with a pipe wrench on the stern tube for hold back
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Waves of Grace
Vessel Model: Universal 36
Mine was not threaded on and game right off with some persuasion. I'm inclined to agree with the previous posters - it is probably threaded on to the stern tube.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbystuff View Post
Mine was not threaded on and game right off with some persuasion. I'm inclined to agree with the previous posters - it is probably threaded on to the stern tube.
Thanks for all the tips. I think itís threads on