Shaft vibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dach side

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
36' sabreline fast trawler
I've noticed recently I've got a vibration when cruising. Dove on running gear found lots of barnacles on shafts & prop nuts, with much less on props, struts & rudders. I was able to clean the shafts, rudders, struts & props, but not my nuts (smile). While cruising today at 1700 rpm's, I checked the shafts in the engine room. I found a slight oscillation of the port shaft log. Can I continue to run the boat till haul out, or does this need immediate attention. Vibration is worse at higher speeds and when making turns.

I had this problem a couple years ago. I had to replace the cutlass bearing. Also should have had the shaft checked for trueness. Engine mounts should be checked. My diesel mechanic told me not to run it until the bearing was replaced. It could cause problems with your transmission. Is there play in your shaft at the prop? Good luck.

Last edited:
Adelaide: I had the cutlass bearings replaced last year. A knowledgable friend also mentioned checking engine mounts. I will have to start with the mounts and see where it goes. I was hoping to get through the summer. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom