Old 01-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #21

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Nirvana
Vessel Model: 41' Litton
This is great info Terry. Seal is on the way from AD. I ordered a 3/4 drive socket set today. Didn't have a socket that large in my tools. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, Mass.
Vessel Name: Rise & Shine
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Great information, guys.

I've done a couple of repowers, and when we found old style packing had worn grooves in shafts, on two occasions, we installed Dripless seals which positions the shaft collar further toward the engine than the original packing. Thus the dripless seal performs as-designed with no compromise due to the damaged surface at the original packing position.

When I repowered Driftless, I was replacing the original 25mm shaft with a 1" so everything had to be new regardless. The good news it was that being only 1" diameter, it was a really small shaft anyway and nothing was very expensive.

The shaft, screw and all the related hardware (including the drive saver coupling) cost more than the new Isuzu diesel engine, which I got through a stroke of luck for $2,000.

Thanks!

JS

Driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #23

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Nirvana
Vessel Model: 41' Litton
Meridian,
You were on the mark. The nut was only finger tight. I followed your instructions; RTV, 200+ torque, etc. Haven't taken a test run yet; ugly weather. But, not a drop of fluid in the pan after several days now. A couple questions though. One, the nut took a 1 11/16 socket but has no built on washer. It looks just like the lower nut in the post(#20) above. Do you think a yard guy could have installed the wrong nut? Second, do you know how much alignment error is acceptable on a Federal Flex Drive Coupling. I called the factory but the guy refused to give an answer. He said, ".003 on direct shaft coupling. But with rubber mounts on the Federal you have much more flex." Still, no number! My tranny is about .015-.020 out at the 8:00 position looking from the rear. That's as close as I can get it without major work. There's no vibration so the .015 may be OK with the rubber bushings.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I wonder if he used a used nut. When I took mine off, the washer had separated from the nut. Did he use any kind of washer? Brian at AD said it was a one-time use nut. I guess you can just keep an eye on it. No idea about the flex drive.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #25
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiggins View Post
Meridian,
You were on the mark. The nut was only finger tight. I followed your instructions; RTV, 200+ torque, etc. Haven't taken a test run yet; ugly weather. But, not a drop of fluid in the pan after several days now. A couple questions though. One, the nut took a 1 11/16 socket but has no built on washer. It looks just like the lower nut in the post(#20) above. Do you think a yard guy could have installed the wrong nut? Second, do you know how much alignment error is acceptable on a Federal Flex Drive Coupling. I called the factory but the guy refused to give an answer. He said, ".003 on direct shaft coupling. But with rubber mounts on the Federal you have much more flex." Still, no number! My tranny is about .015-.020 out at the 8:00 position looking from the rear. That's as close as I can get it without major work. There's no vibration so the .015 may be OK with the rubber bushings.
I must say that .015-.020" sounds like significant mis-alignment to me. Many references I have encountered over the years refer to an alignment error of no greater that .001" per inch of coupling diameter. Another common rule of thumb is no greater than .004". In the Yanmar installation manual for small diesels, it lists Coupling Face Run-out of 0-0.2 mm (0-.0078 in.). This is almost twice the generally accepted standard, but does include use of their very flexible engine mounts and a flexible coupling when the propeller shaft is short. R&D specify no more than .010" with their flexible couplings.

Henry H. Smith & Company is listed as a Federal Flexible Coupling distributor so you might give them a try at 800-338-8900 if you haven't already.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #26
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
0.020" out on the flange faces is quite a bit. How hard is it to tweak your engine to get closer to zero? May be a creative way to shim it/budge it/whatever etc to get closer. I don't know your flex drive, but do know that running with misalignment works the output shaft/flange joint and that may be why nut loosened.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
I wonder if he used a used nut. When I took mine off, the washer had separated from the nut. Did he use any kind of washer? Brian at AD said it was a one-time use nut. I guess you can just keep an eye on it. No idea about the flex drive.
Yes it is supposed to be a one time nut. With the RTV it will likely stay in place.
Yes I agree .020 is too much out of alignment. A In addition to what Ski said, it has also been torqueing on the rear tranny bearing which is already under stress in the best of conditions.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #28
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I always used ~ 0.001" per inch diam of the coupling. So for a 5" diam coupling 0.005" was ok, not best , but ok. I usually get within 1 0r 2 thou. but total.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote