Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
CEC

City: SF
Shaft bearing question C&L 79’

I’m preparing for hull out soon. Planing to replace shaft seals and inspect cutlass ext. I’m wondering about what’s in the shaft bearing. 4 nuts holding it to the hull looks like it could use remove and clean up and caulk back on. Wondering if these typicly have a cutlass pressed into them or is the shaft just floating like a metal shaft log?

I’ve never replaced the shaft seals on this boat so kinda trying to prepare parts wise for hull out if I need to work on the shaft bearing. Any pointers much appreciated if the shaft bearing is something I should not mess with if it looks ok mechanically ext..

Thanks
CEC
CEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Got any photos? That would help a bit.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
CEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Got any photos? That would help a bit.
I’ll take some today and post.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
CEC

They look like this
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3AB5820-71B3-40D4-9825-D2E28D22E256.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	76703
Old 05-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
CEC

So it’s a flange bearing right? Wondering if someone has a source? I see a lot that look similar but not identical. Seems like a part you can’t press a cutlass into you replace the whole flange bearing. Anyone done this type of shaft bearing before?
Old 05-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #6

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
I could be way wrong but that looks almost like it was redone later than the original hull. The glass has a different meaning tint, etc. I think the bolt at the top is a keeper for a bearing but not certain of it. If it is a longer shaft to the transmission then it’s possible someone added a supporting bearing. The shaft inside my boat is about 5’ or more and I’ve been told it should be supported. It comes through cutlass bearing and then shaft log straight to the tail shaft of the tranny. The overall length is about 14’?? So a LOT of unsupported shaft. The shaft log goes to the typical fiberglass cone with the carrier for the packing gland. My boat is a ‘77 so it’s possible they cut off the fiberglass and bolted in the bearing plate you see here.
Jbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Not sure what I am looking at. Shaft hardware looks much smaller than expected on a 79' boat.

If that is a typo, then it would be unusual to have a bearing in that shaft log. May not know for sure til you haul it. There will be a bearing right in front of the prop, but no other needed unless shaft is like over 8' long depending on dia and speed.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
CEC

Sorry the boat is a 1979 it’s 37’ it does look like one side was reenforced but the other side looks original. Shafts are like 6’ I believe.