Old 11-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: penngrove
Vessel Name: Lucky Us
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
Serpentine Belt Conversion

Hey all,

Just wondering how I can convert my John Deere 4045TFM Diesel from a dual vee belt to a serpenting belt? Seems like there are kits for Yanmar, but I have not seen one for John Deere. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

thanks,

Chris
z1nonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
I did some research on this. If I am understanding what I am seeing correctly, It's not that difficult to do using JD parts from a newer agricultural engine. I think the issue may lie in the crankshaft pulley. It looks like the crankshaft pulley is part of the harmonic balancer. If that's the case, it could be a real pain to get the old one off and new one on. I would replace the seal to be sure that removing the old harmonic balancer didn't damage the seal. Sometimes seals will wear groves in the harmonic balancer and when they are pulled off it messes up the seal. You may need a new front timing cover and/or a bracket to mount the belt tensioner.

Here is an engine manual that may help with part numbers and belt diagrams. It's a good reference to have just to familiarize yourself with the base engine.
https://photos.imageevent.com/qdf_fi...C%20tp5434.pdf

Going by this pic is where I got my ideas about parts need and possible conversion hang ups.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Why do you want to change from two v belts to a serpentine belt? Twin V belts will handle a 200 amp alternator, the main reason for upgrading a single V to serpentine.

Yes I understand that serpentine is more modern, but from the post above, it doesn't sound cheap and easy to do.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Belt tensioner’s are a point of failure. It’s one more item you will need to add to the spares package.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: penngrove
Vessel Name: Lucky Us
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I did some research on this. If I am understanding what I am seeing correctly, It's not that difficult to do using JD parts from a newer agricultural engine. I think the issue may lie in the crankshaft pulley. It looks like the crankshaft pulley is part of the harmonic balancer. If that's the case, it could be a real pain to get the old one off and new one on. I would replace the seal to be sure that removing the old harmonic balancer didn't damage the seal. Sometimes seals will wear groves in the harmonic balancer and when they are pulled off it messes up the seal. You may need a new front timing cover and/or a bracket to mount the belt tensioner.

Here is an engine manual that may help with part numbers and belt diagrams. It's a good reference to have just to familiarize yourself with the base engine.
https://photos.imageevent.com/qdf_fi...C%20tp5434.pdf

Going by this pic is where I got my ideas about parts need and possible conversion hang ups.

Great information! I think I need to talk to my JD dealer, or factory. The system I currently have is working ok. It does create some belt dust. I noticed that some of the vent holes in the alternator were clogged with lint/dust etc. DO NOT STICK SOMETHING IN THE HOLES TO REMOVE THE LINT!! SPARKING WILL OCCUR!! Ask me how I knew that?! I saw a article/video from Nigel Calder, the arguable expert on boat systems, about his Integrel System that supposedly can eliminate the need for a generator. It sounds intrigueing.

Chris
z1nonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #6
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1nonlyone View Post
Great information! I think I need to talk to my JD dealer, or factory. The system I currently have is working ok. It does create some belt dust. I noticed that some of the vent holes in the alternator were clogged with lint/dust etc. DO NOT STICK SOMETHING IN THE HOLES TO REMOVE THE LINT!! SPARKING WILL OCCUR!! Ask me how I knew that?! I saw a article/video from Nigel Calder, the arguable expert on boat systems, about his Integrel System that supposedly can eliminate the need for a generator. It sounds intrigueing.

Chris

I use the shop vac to suck the dust out. Dust usually occurs when there is minor slipping or something isn't quite inline.

Yep, never stick anything inside an alternator vent. If it welds itself to the alternator, it can cause a fire.

The only challenges I see with upgrading to a serpentine set up are the front timing cover, the tensioner set up, and possibly the harmonic balancer. I was an auto tech so no big deal for me but for most people it's a frightful thing to pull the front of the engine apart to change to a different pulley system. Johnny Deere would be the place to start. I would talk to the agricultural dealers. They may have done these conversion to upgrade equipment. They would also be cheaper on parts than a marine deere dealer, I would think. The parts may even come in that beautiful JD greene.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Why do you want to change from two v belts to a serpentine belt? Twin V belts will handle a 200 amp alternator, the main reason for upgrading a single V to serpentine.

Yes I understand that serpentine is more modern, but from the post above, it doesn't sound cheap and easy to do.

David
David
I have the same why do it question. That said, newer 4045s are commonly equipped with serpentine belts. The conversion would not be easy or cheap and possibly not decrease belt dust. A trip to the JD marine store will answer a whole host of cost questions.

For the OP, any misalignment or improper tensioning with current belts will create inordinate belt dust. Not uncommon on older 4045s based upon some I have seen. Also, for reference, check in with TF's Flywright. He did a conversion a few years ago on his Perkins.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote