Old 09-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #21
Vessel Name: Julia
Vessel Model: Mitkof
Well guys thanks for you contributions. I just finished my season of captaining all summer and am wrapping up the last of the household fixes and other obligations in order to truly start. I admit am hesitant but can begin to tear things apart but will real put my effort into the gear first. Learned so much reading this and i will update you. What a wonderful group of people!
I think now the water came in through the vent of my twin disk gear. and that is where I made the mistake worrying about the engine other components and ignoring the gear.

birddog82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #22
City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: Marben 27' "pocket cruiser"
Not a hard job. Check to see where your aft engine mounts are located. Usually they will be on the gear it self. If not really good! If they are, obtain a supply of wood blocks to use as bracing under the engine. following the removal of the mount bolts. after you take the pressure off with the use of a hydraulic scissor jack Prior to that before applying pressure, remove the shaft bolts from the rear of the gear and slide the propeller shaft aft enough to allow the rearward movement of the gear. Now apply pressure enough to release the gear weight,. Insert the wood blocks to support the engine. remove the gear aft and up. I am going to guess you have a 2:1 gear and those weight about #100 so have a second set of hands available to help you lift the gear up and out.
Trust this is the process. I used it twice while replacing rear main seals on one engine and then a third time on our current engine. Please-any steps missed, chime in.
The engine will remain balanced on the wood blocks you inserted under the belly pan of the engine.
Good time to clean that ugly bildge

Al is offline   Reply With Quote