Sakura Oil Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Anyone familiar with the brand?
Good/bad/other comments?

Thanks Steve, very interesting, they really vary inside those metal cases. The reviewer liked the 3 left ones best, none were Sakura, I`m not confident which was. Maybe you did better.
My searching confirmed they manufacture in Indonesia. Will it matter if war breaks out between them and Oz over tapping SBY`s phone?:)

Last edited:
I figured out which filters on test were Sakura. Not the tester`s favourite, nor were they criticised for defects, no one posted their engine died using Sakura, so I think they are acceptable for use. Baldwin filters, a US brand readily available here, were not tested.

I'm reasonably sure Sakura are made by the same people in the same facility as Donaldson (or another popular brand) filters. The name difference is a marketing exercise. (One of the reason Montana wnies from NZ are not marketed under that name in the US). FWIW, I look after a couple of MWM 800kw engines and use Sakura filters after major oil contasmination issues. haven't had any grief since I changed.

Likewise - I used them before and they seemed ok.

Regarding alternative brands:
I went into an auto part store a few weeks ago to stock up on oil/fuel filters. I asked for the equivalent to 3 Baldwin numbers. They asked me what it was for & I told them a Volvo marine diesel. They advised me I needed to go to the Volvo marine dealer an hour away. I suggested they just look it up in there cross reference, and was told they don't have one.
I tried another place just down the road and same story.

I went home and found a cross reference to several other filter brands within a couple minutes on the web. It turned out both auto supply stores stocked them. Is this just poor customer service or a policy of these filter suppliers not to supply cross references for some reason?

I suspect poor customer service. Computers where not the worst thing to hit automotive parts counters. The realization of automotive parts counter owners that any kid fresh out of school can operate one was. I show up with my equivalent list on my smart phone as the kid at the counter is not allowed to do anything, like free thinking and apply reason.

I just bought the Sakura oil filters, 6 for mains, 2 genset, total $53 fast delivered, from Bretts Truck (Truck parts and Truck replacement parts. BUY ISUZU truck FUSO HINO Truck Parts), located NSW near Gosford. Good having positive feedback.
There are part number converters online, on this supplier`s site you can search using a range of filter maker part numbers.
Some auto parts chains employ kids with no knowledge, an old style parts shop is best when looking for something odd, like a water hose to cut a section from, to suit a Lehman application. That was before I bought a full set from American Diesel.

For folks stocking up with filters should realize they are made to be used quickly , not stored on a damp boat.

The solution is a plastic vacuum bag for each unit with a very light vacuum to not crush the unit.

The metal inside oil filters rusts fairly quickly in a marine atmosphere.

For folks stocking up with filters should realize they are made to be used quickly , not stored on a damp boat.
The metal inside oil filters rusts fairly quickly in a marine atmosphere.
Good advice. I don`t keep spare oil filters onboard but fuel filters,yes. Fortunately Racors come in sealed packaging, and the boxed Sakura oil filters have a plastic film seal fully covering the mounting face

Post # 7 how true your statement is , in British Columbia Canada we have a very large privately owned automotive parts chain, my old boss from 30+ years ago was best friends with the owners and they employed only experianced good parts people, now 30 years later they hire kids fresh out of school who know nothing about any mechanical workings and pay them minimum wage plus commission, the service is dismal on a good day and nonexistant most days, I found an old time parts supplier and stick to the experienced parts people and get great service. This reduction in service and knowledge appears to be the new world order driven by corporate greed.:nonono:

Anyone familiar with the brand?
Good/bad/other comments?
Never tried them but something I noticed last time I bought fuel filters elements for a boat in Thailand, was that the Racor 500fg element was made in Indonesia and so were the Sure Filter ones that we bought that looked identical and were a hell of a lot cheaper.

I wonder if they come from the same factory as Sakura?

the only thing not checked is what the filter medium is, its effectiveness, ect.Michael.
That about sums it up.The youtube video Auscan posted showed the filter material joined with a metal clip, rating that a plus, no comment either way on the filter material. No one has related negatives or disasters, Auscan has used them with no issues, it seems a known aftermarket brand, and the local seller services the heavy trucking industry, so I think it`s ok.

I found an old time parts supplier and stick to the experienced parts people and get great service. This reduction in service and knowledge appears to be the new world order driven by corporate greed

WRONG ,no co greed, Parts stores are as competitive as burger joints and big box stores.

Most advertise in local papers and the few customers who have the ability to actually repair stuff are as price smart as any shopper.

I have found the smaller towns will have at least one place with adults, that can problem solve.

Usually for farmers or fish guys that keep complex old stuff operating .

IF the make up Hyd hoses , it can be a clue.

No need for an intelligent worker to plop a box of rebuilt starter or a set of spark plugs on the counter.
And the computerized supply chain has nothing that does not sell in volume.
So minimum wage kids getting some work experience is just fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom