Running engine w no load

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or you can derate it "yourself". Just don't operate the engine at the higher power settings.

On a planing boat that makes some sense to me. If the 450hp version is properly propped for full throttle M3 rating it will have more pitch than an 250hp version of that engine. If operated at displacement speed one should get better mileage than the lower rated engine because the lower rated engine would have a finer pitched prop. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without an EGT gauge. If I were to do that I would look at the max: rpm / manifold pressure / egt that the manufacturer recommends for that engine used as a continuous duty gen set and as long as none of those parameters were exceeded I would expect a long and trouble free life. I would not operate a highly loaded turbocharged engine without an EGT gauge.

As an aside:
I've seen pictures of a tractor operating in a test cell and the whole exhaust system to the turbo was glowing a dull red. EGT was at a normal range for field work. When I added a turbo to my tractor my friend from the test cell said that if I didn't exceed 850c measured within 6in after the turbo I probably wouldn't have expensive noises. I only have a few hundred hours on it at heavy load but so far so good. :whistling:

I was slower at typing than Baker. What he says makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I think you missed the point, eric... If you think they are running balls out on the ragged edge like it sounds, you would be mistaken.

You pretty much nailed it, Baker ... you've been holding up the enlightened side quite well. :thumb:

Depending on the engine there might be subtle differences in injection timing, valve overlap, boost, and with CR engines some of the computer programming that controls injection rate and timing but the hardware is pretty much the same.

As far as the claims, fears, and warnings about temperature a few posts back ... think for a moment about the good old Gardner diesel that powers Benn's boat and one of the ones I play with regularly, those same engines will probably be running just as well in 2113. The factory spec coolant temperature for those engines is between 140F and 165F. Oil temperature is supposed to be between 124 and 140F. Gardner suggests running the engine at "fast idle for some minutes" (whatever that means) before applying full load.

If everyone who operates a diesel for a living worried half as much about the things as a handful of hobbyists seem to we would probably still be shoveling coal into little fire tube boilers on our steamboats. Or, horror of horrors ... burning deadly dangerous petroleum spirits in diesel look-a-likes.

Attachments

• steamboat.jpg
    steamboat.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 74
  • marine-engines-09.jpg
    marine-engines-09.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
If everyone who operates a diesel for a living worried half as much about the things as a handful of hobbyists seem to we would probably still be shoveling coal into little fire tube boilers on our steamboats. Or, horror of horrors ... burning deadly dangerous petroleum spirits in diesel look-a-likes.
Another gem...:thumb:

Good point.
I nearly bought a Gardner-powered trawler. The owner warmed it up at 400 rpm, which was interesting, but what put me off was the polishing - the aluminum castings, the brass nuts and the copper and brass plumbing was all polished! It was (expletive deleted) gorgeous and I had peculiar, slightly perverse dreams about it for weeks, but finally the wood hull and the concrete ballast added to the multi-gallon Brasso-tank finished me off.

... the wood hull and the concrete ballast added to the multi-gallon Brasso-tank finished me off.

Salt and vinegar will take care of the concrete and wood. Just have the Brasso tanker pull up at the fuel dock and your world will shine.

Back
Top Bottom