Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #41
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
All it takes is... Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance!!!
Maintenance is good, but you can never guarantee a part won't fail without prior symptoms.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Obviously a lot of people here have never run a gasoline engine in commercial service.

Most couldn't blow themselves up if they tried.

Now on the other hand I've seen gas boats blow for maybe something as simple as a static charge....but In my experience ,...I've seen more diesel boats sink from a variety of reasons than I've seen gas boats blow or catch fire.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
By the way does it say "posted on my I-pad" ??? I see a lot of that.
If it did, you'd see it when you looked at your post.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thanks Marin I figured maybe not.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #45
Scraping Paint

Eric-- Almost every post I make to TF is from this iPad via AT&T 3G. But I have not set up a signature with "sent from my iPad" except for e-mail.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #46
FF
Guru

I mention this with my feet kicked up... Ahhh; how, simple affordable, and easy it is to deal with gasoline engines!

At 200 hours a year probably 95% of boaters would have far lower lifetime coats with Gas than Diesel.

At 2000 hours EVERY year , the diesel might be a better deal.

The hassle here is RELIGION ,emotion, not reality ,

Gas vs Diesel, Twin vs Single ,CQR vs Danforth ,Chain vs Nylon , none are rational discussions , mostly "Feelings" .

So the diesel folks will justify 20X rebuild prices , the twin screw folks will tout docking in 40K crosswinds , etc etc , forever.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #47
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
At 200 hours a year probably 95% of boaters would have far lower lifetime coats with Gas than Diesel.

At 2000 hours EVERY year , the diesel might be a better deal.
Thanks Fred,

You are the one that pointed this out to me a long time ago and helped me see the possibilities. I'm now the happy owner of a single engine gasser.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
i mention this with my feet kicked up... Ahhh; how, simple affordable, and easy it is to deal with gasoline engines!

At 200 hours a year probably 95% of boaters would have far lower lifetime coats with gas than diesel.

At 2000 hours every year , the diesel might be a better deal.

The hassle here is religion ,emotion, not reality ,

gas vs diesel, twin vs single ,cqr vs danforth ,chain vs nylon , none are rational discussions , mostly "feelings" .

So the diesel folks will justify 20x rebuild prices , the twin screw folks will tout docking in 40k crosswinds , etc etc , forever.
very very well said fred!

Same goes for low rpm engines and running low rpm. It's 98% "feelings".

So that's it Marin. One needs to enable the device to say "sent from my i-pad". Why would anybody need or want others to know what device the message originated from? Must be advertising for apple. I mention it myself at times to explain why I don't post a picture or quote in my usual way. Does "sent from my i-pad" say "lookout here comes a handicapped post"? It does for me but I don't take the i-pad seriously. Mostly just post from Starbucks.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
............. Does "sent from my i-pad" say "lookout here comes a handicapped post"? ............... .
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #50
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I have a question: If I have been running my Perkins 6.354 every month or two at just above idle for 30 minutes-ish to circulate the oil and sometimes let it "warm up" for 10-15 minutes before I leave the slip for about 400 hours of total operation, what kind of damage have I done?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #51
Guru

Before we get too carried away saying that a gasoline engine is more cost efficient than a diesel for most boaters, let's remember to factor in the higher resale price of the boat when that time comes.

For me, gasoline (it's no longer correct to say gasoline since the government mandated that it be adulterated with ethanol) makes sense for runabouts, center consoles, etc. For trawlers, I like the safety and long term reliability of diesel.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #52
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I have a question: If I have been running my Perkins 6.354 every month or two at just above idle for 30 minutes-ish to circulate the oil and sometimes let it "warm up" for 10-15 minutes before I leave the slip for about 400 hours of total operation, what kind of damage have I done?
Probably none...but you would be better off if you could bring it up to 1000-1200 rpm in gear.

Eventually if you don't think you'll use it for 3 months or so at a time...pickling it would be better.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
You've increased the USA's dependence on foreign oil and contributed to global warming. And added 400 hours to your total engine hours. That's about it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #54
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NO DAMAGE DONE!!!

You've done the engine a favor....especially if it is colder weather. A lot of people make a lot of hay out of letting a diesel "idle".... and a lot of it is nonsense or urban myth.... Diesel engines can idle for hours on end with no adverse effects other than burnt fuel. Older mechanical engines go on and on and on.....and keep going. As long as they are serviced and get clean fuel, they can run for weeks on end.... Newer engines with ECM's...the computers will not like it, and some in semi's have a programmed shutdown period...that is the choice of the owner. Several of the major trucking fleets have those settings on their trucks.

I know what I have said is going to start an argument...but hey, the simple fact is: If its properly maintained....you can idle it for more than 30 minutes without trouble or worry of damage.

I have 2 1978 vintage 6.354's...and I do exactly the same thing you do. I also have 20 years experience running heavy diesels in semi's in all kinds of terrain....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #55
Scraping Paint

Quote:
. One needs to enable the device to say "sent from my i-pad". Why would anybody need or want others to know what device the message originated from? Must be advertising for apple. I mention it myself at times to explain why I don't post a picture or quote in my usual way. Does "sent from my i-pad" say "lookout here comes a handicapped post"? It does for me but I don't take the i-pad seriously. Mostly just post from Starbucks.
No, you need to create a signature with whatever reference to the iPad in it you want. So far as I can tell it's not like my Blackberry that automatically attaches a "Sent from my Blackberry" statement to the end of an e-mail.

As to not taking the iPad seriously you'll need to talk to the pilots in Boeing Flight Test, Alaska Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and more about that. The iPad has totally replaced that big black bag they all used to carry. I produced a project for the Chief Production Pilot for the 787 program last year and we used a 787 that was being readied for delivery. He walked on the plane with an iPad in his hand. That's all. Everything he needed for the flight--- checklists, approach and departure plates, airport maps, and a zillion different kinds of forms from manifest to Customs-- is on his iPad. No more paper.

Mechanics like the ones at Nowegian Air Shuttle are using iPads now when they work on the airline's planes. The iPads connect wirelessly with the airlines central maintenance computer in the hangar so they can call up the 737's maintenance manuals and drawings. And when we visted them back in 2011 they were running a Beta test of an app they (or someone) had developed that let the mechanics use their iPads to connect directly to their planes' on-board fault reporting system.

I use mine for work all over the planet. I have apps that "fool" the iPad into thinking it's my PC at work and so it runs MS Office programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. I have an app that has detailed road maps for the entire planet, and since I have a wifi/cellular iPad with its built-in GPS I can use it to find our way around even out in the middle of China with no connectivity at all. This has proven to be extremely useful in China, The Middle East, and a few weeks ago, Brazil.

I even use it for slating shots with a camera slate app. And when I have time, like during a ten hour plane ride or in my hotel room at night, I work on my two current book projects on it.

I was skeptical, too, before I bought one. Now that I've had this one for a year I would give up my regular laptop before I gave up the iPad.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #56
Guru

Thanks Marin .. very informative. I however spend my time working in the yard, on my OB boats, helping Chris w the garden, having coffee at Starbucks (w the i-pad), Working on Willy, reading novels and many other things that leave me w/o enough time to become proficient on either the i-mac or pad. Need to get my photo's arranged properly and don't even know how to do that. Perhaps next winter. I think I understand the "sent from" thing though. It's advertising and a statement that the sender does not surround themselves w old fashioned things. It's the opposite of going into a bar and announcing that you drive a Buick sedan. Gives the sender status.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #57
Scraping Paint

I dunno, Eric. Depending on the vintage of the Buick sedan and its condition it might give the owner more status than the guy who drives up in a new Ferrari.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #58
FF
Guru

"Diesel engines can idle for hours on end with no adverse effects other than burnt fuel".

The independiant operators in the OTR industry would disagree with you.

In the "old days" the engines would idle all night providing heat or air cond and electric power for an inverter.

Fuel costs (and the air police) made an APU a less costly way to operate overnight.

Fewer oil changes (done on testing) and about 40% more miles between overhauls has delighted them.

"no adverse effects "

If cylinder glazing and burnishing, rings sticking, lower compression and more blow-by contaminating the oil is not adverse , I don't know what is!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #59
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
ABSOLUTELY NO DAMAGE DONE!!!

You've done the engine a favor....especially if it is colder weather. A lot of people make a lot of hay out of letting a diesel "idle".... and a lot of it is nonsense or urban myth.... Diesel engines can idle for hours on end with no adverse effects other than burnt fuel. Older mechanical engines go on and on and on.....and keep going. As long as they are serviced and get clean fuel, they can run for weeks on end.... Newer engines with ECM's...the computers will not like it, and some in semi's have a programmed shutdown period...that is the choice of the owner. Several of the major trucking fleets have those settings on their trucks.

I know what I have said is going to start an argument...but hey, the simple fact is: If its properly maintained....you can idle it for more than 30 minutes without trouble or worry of damage.

I have 2 1978 vintage 6.354's...and I do exactly the same thing you do. I also have 20 years experience running heavy diesels in semi's in all kinds of terrain....
It depends on the engine, don't go making generalizations. Detroit, for their two strokes turbo engines, specifically tells you not to idle your engines with no load for any length of time, or cold run them and shut them down.
Consult the engine manufacturer's operating and storage requirements.

You are better off installing block heaters to keep the temps even when shut down, and going for a half hour boat ride every now and then if you have the luxury of being in the water. People in cold regions store their on the hard boat half the year or more and the engines never run during that time.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #60
Guru

No Marin .... just "Buick sedan".

Buick = old people.

I am old. Have 2 Buicks.

Just read on yahoo they are selling 3 times as many Buick's in China as they are in the US. If you include the rest of the world ......................... .