Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 717fitz View Post
I have measured the rudder arm movement. Total swing at steering arm is 7" with 3.5" to port and 2.5" stbd measured from center. Raymarine auto reads 30deg to port and 20 deg to stbd. Only adjustment would be to move the hydro cly,which is screwed down. Thanks for your help
3.5" + 2.5" = 6" not 7" measure again, send us a picture, give us the effective length of the tiller arm. Then we can solve your problem.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Guru

All I can say is that my "ex" a 1978 Mainship 34 Nantucket (hull 26), had an offset rudder and did not move the same amount each direction. I assumed to compensate for the offset rudder position and prop walk.
The boat handled like a dream.
So maybe it's done purposely, or maybe Mainship didn't learn from 1978 how to position a rudder.
Your call.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Fitz, Does your steering system have any form of adjustment? In my case the link from hydraulic cylinder to rudder arm has a threaded adjuster (pink). I happen to have two rudders, so there is an additional bar (blue) linking the rudder arms. The set-up procedure for a single rudder would be to remove the pin from pink adjuster, align the rudder amidships, set the hydraulic cylinder at mid-travel and turn the pink adjuster until the pin drops back in. The autopilot's rudder position sensor is then physically moved/turned so that the A/P reads the correct helm position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	17479  
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Walt wrote;

" "stalls" when positioned over 35 degrees to the directional flow of the water. Not so noticeable in slow boats but it happens nevertheless."

"happens nevertheless"??

I don't think so Walt. Does it happen at 2 knots, 6 knots, 8 knots ..... just when does the rudder stall? With considerable speed and a rudder too small for the boat yes of course but for most here on TF ..... I don't think so. And if so even to a small degree (and I think not) my stalling rudder sure works well.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
"happens nevertheless"??

I don't think so Walt. Does it happen at 2 knots, 6 knots, 8 knots ..... just when does the rudder stall?
Eric;

You flew Ultra-lites....were you more apt to stall at high speeds or low speeds, given you maintained the same angle of attack? I'm not talking about the boat "falling out of the air" when the rudder stalls, I'm saying that when a rudder stalls, it loses it's efficiency. Yes, it still turns the boat, but the force to do so is not as "efficient" as when the rudder is still "flying."

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I've got a small rudder on my Owens and wondered about how it would handle with a larger one in slow speeds. My wonder disappears once I get on plane and hear that V-8 rumble though.

I'll just need to work on my close quarter, low speed maneuvering skills. All boils down to spending more time on the water in my case. Darn it anyway

Informative thread for me. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
another thread where water flow from boat movement and water flow over a rudder from prop wash are TWO different animals....thus why powerboat rudders differ from sailboat rudders to some degree (no pun intended).
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Walt,
Nonetheless (you like that word) the rudder works much better (perhaps twice as good) when set up to swing a total of 90 degrees. That wouldn't be the case w your boat though. But it may be better than 35 degrees.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #29
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I've had a rudder on a sailboat I was steering stall because of too high of an approach angle. Anyone sailing a keelboat with a tiller has probably experienced and felt that.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My single-prop boat has a three-degree prop-walk to starboard going forward. So, I expect a starboard turn will be three degrees more to starboard for any given rudder angle. It's not noticeable except when maintaining a straight course when the rudder is offset by three degrees to port.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #31
Guru

Sorry the thread degenerated away from your question. You have two possible issues. One is that the cylinder is positioned wrong. In that case, remounting it making sure that the cylinder is in the center position and the rudder is also, is important. The other issue could be the cylinder itself is the wrong size. I would verify the size issue first before remounting anything. Then again it could be a Mainship engineering quirk and checking with other owners of like boats will tell. Chuck

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote