Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #81
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
I've been on the Supertramp only two main engines, which are Ford lehmann.
These are the best engines I've ever had in the Supertramp

I can't even believe there is any question that Lehman's make good marine engines. If the original builders had to "fool" the engine into believing it, then they did a heck of a job of it.

Are Lehman's the latest and greatest? No.

Are they long running, easy to maintain, forgiving of abuse, fairly fuel efficient, etc. engines? I'd say those questions were answered in the affirmative years ago.

If none of that is true, somebody show me all the posts somewhere where there are lots of complaints and questions about Lehman engine failures and repeated systems issues?

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -
The Ford Dorset diesel is a reliable and long-lived engine IF it's operated at a relatively constant rpm at a moderate load in the 1500 to 1800 rpm range. That was the Ford guy's point. Run it that way-- which is the very definition of marine service in a cruising boat--and it's an excellent albeit outdated, noisy, overweight, and polluting-- engine.

Run it harder than that--as in heavy truck service which is what Ford designed it to do-- and it is, in the terms of the Ford engineer I met, "complete rubbish."

BTW, Lehman had nothing to do with making these engines. They are solely Ford of England products. All Lehman did was, like a lot of other companies on the planet, design a marinization kit for it. Lehman had nothing whatsoever to do with the design or manufacture of the base Ford engine.

So I'm not saying the FL120 is a bad marine engine. It's not as evidenced by the thousands of boats in which it has given excellent service as Capt. Bill points out. The Dorset also did great in agricultural service in the lower powered tractors and combines of the day.

Where it's a "rubbish engine" is in applications that force it to run hard and fast. Operate it that way in a boat and one runs the same risk of problems as the truck operators who were unfortunate enough to have one of these engines installed in their vehicle.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #83
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I'll try to be move specific in the future. But I'm guessing everybody knew what I was talking about when I used the word Lehman where I should have perhaps used Ford.

As to them being complete rubbish as truck engines, who cares. Last time I looked, most trucks don't float very well.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
As to them being complete rubbish as truck engines, who cares. Last time I looked, most trucks don't float very well.
It's only relevant if a boater who has these engines runs them hard to get more "modern" speed out of their boat. I've met over the years three or four people in our marina who did this. And in each case, they were bemoaning the fact their "reliable" FL120s had failed catastrophically in some manner.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #85
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It's only relevant if a boater who has these engines runs them hard to get more "modern" speed out of their boat. I've met over the years three or four people in our marina who did this. And in each case, they were bemoaning the fact their "reliable" FL120s had failed catastrophically in some manner.

Maybe that statement is more to the point. We have covered this ground in the past. 😎
Without a doubt- most any Lehman is GREAT in a "trawler type" application. If you want a motor yacht... KEEP SHOPPING!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #86
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
So Marin,

You've got a graveyard all arranged for your Lehman engines do you?

Better make room for your Bruce anchor too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #87
FF
Guru

True , But smaller trucks are driven by folk that do not usually own the truck.

If a truck engine can live with constant abuse , overreving , or lazy shifting and lugging , it should make a good candidate for marinization for a go slow cruising boat..

Sport Fish , run on the pin ,must go to industrial rated engines .

FF is offline   Reply With Quote