Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Rotella T6 Synthetic!!!

I just completed the annual 11 hour trek from storage location to summer slip. Oil consumption in recent years (conventional Rotella 15-40) was typically half a quart per engine). Changed to Rotella T6 15-40 synthetic before winter storage last Fall. Zero oil burn. Freakin' magic. I'm a fan.

Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #2

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Interesting. I'm a synthetic fan with limited experience using only with autos..why the difference in oil consumption after switching from conventional?.

David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:19 PM   #3

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Odin
Vessel Model: Albin 28TE
I used synthetic in my cars and my Harley’s, but staying with SR 15-40 in the boat.
Half the experts say do it, the other half says don’t..
LN-RTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Not a synthetic fan either.
But if you’ve got a situation where synthetic oil has a worthwhile cost effective change in how things work I use synthetic myself. But using it is w/o cost effective results is like riding on a bandwagon.
Reduced oil consumption is not cost effective and measurable oil consumption is likely an indication that you’ve got good lubrication of your pistons, cyl walls and rings. A small price to pay for better lubrication of critical engine parts.

Unless one used an engine really hard better lubrication will probably be had w regular dino oil. My boat gets Delo 30w oil and my Avalon gets 5w30 dino oil ..Mobil 1. I thought it was synthetic but last week the dealer said it was dino and not a blend. But I hear blends are only 10% synthetic. I change the car oil every 5,000 miles (twice as often as my previous Volkswagens). Don’t run either engine hard though.

On most all trawlers the engines would benefit more from more frequent oil changes that using synthetic oil. I think several contaminates that accumulate in engine oil accumulate equally in both types of oil. And w longer runs between oil changes you’ll get more contaminates in the synthetic oil.

And just no need for it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
What is the price difference between adding or not a quart of regular oil and running on synthetic?
I am neither fan or not, just that in some case there is a need for it and in some case not.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Limited exposure and reports about some "dino" oils is they are really a blend now anyhow....don't know which ones...just go with the tried and true brands.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #7

I suspect this stuff is resistant to the cylinder glazing issue that gets a lot of attention here on the forum. Not an issue for electronically injected engines, but it's an issue for older boosted engines running (slobbering) at low power. In the past I could look at the exhaust and determine when there was a need to run the engines up to higher power to clean up the exhaust. They seemed to run clean for the entirety of this trip, although I did run them up every couple of hours anyway.

In any case at about $25/gallon, I'm sold. Yes, that's an extra $60-70 per oil change for the two engines...peanuts. If you have an engine that uses a bit of oil...or maybe a lot, you might want to give this a shot. Live a little (and maybe your engine(s) will too.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #8
Guru

Staistically from my readings is they live anyway.

MANY times posted here that a well maintained engine, run properly rarely or never wears out because of the type of oil.

Many times posters have asked for links proving otherwise and yet the preponderance of input just doesn't validate synthetics for much besides analysis suggested extensions or high temp events.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

City: Montgomery, Tx
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
I feel the filter is more important than oil type. I have had NAPA/Wix lengthen my filters a couple inches, to the longest made, 551843 for a Lehman 135.

Just changed the oil at 200hrs, and it was still clear. Usually change at 100hrs, but was traveling.

They are special order, so I get three at a time.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Guru

I have used Wix, Purelator, and Motorcraft fiters for the last 3500 hours with no real change in oil analysis and stellar reports from Blackstone labs every 100-120 hours on the oil.

I have been using Rotella 15W40 and 30Wt on this engine for the last 9 years.

I am more likely to have the engine rebuilt for a variety of issues than because of wear from oil or filter issues.

While one may argue my engine is an anomaly, my readings and experience say it's more common than not.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
Guru

I think it has a lot to do w image.
Kinda like you want to be seen w certain people. You want to be considered to be a modern person that takes advantage of all the latest things. Older people that use or do the latest things (like use synthetic oil) are seen as still young in the head despite what their image confirms. Age is all in the head they say. Got all the electronics and know how to use them.

But we old people have seen a lot of new stuff. We’ve seen it come and go, succeed and fail. So a lot of us know the drill, take what’s good and pass on the rest. But sometimes it’s too much trouble to do all the research and learn iffy operational glitches like all of us have experienced on computers.

But then there’s the “baugh humbug” gimmie the good old fashioned stuff. Don’t need no new fangled things. They drive Buicks from the 80’s, wear 70’s kaki pants or possibly plad pants. They don’t use GPS in their cars and they bank in person. I have a friend that can’t go to the head w/o his i-phone. Thinks I’m stone aged but we both get along pretty much the same. Am I in this category? Yup in some ways. Texting is really a good way to communicate most of the time. Don’t really need the GPS in my car and wear jeans most all of the time.
And re synthetic oil I make a point of being objective about it and use it where there’s clear benefit and not where where there’s no need. Sometimes I miss a point or two and get into the baugh humbug codgers but I try to embrace the new when there’s real benefits to be had and are worth the effort to ditch the old and use the new.

Re synthetic oil in a trawler one can say w assurance that synthetic oil ... it’s better in every way but price. But there’s no real benefit other than the way you’re seen among other trawlermen. I’ll pass on the “be seen” benefit and take the cost benefit home. To switch to synthetic in my Avalon at the dealer where I have the oil changed it’s about $20. But I just don’t need it. My car is not going to last longer if I use it.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Nomad Willy;772335]I think it has a lot to do w image.
Kinda like you want to be seen w certain people. You want to be considered to be a modern person that takes advantage of all the latest things.

Re synthetic oil in a trawler one can say w assurance that synthetic oil ... it’s better in every way but price. But there’s no real benefit other than the way you’re seen among other trawlermen. I’ll pass on the “be seen” benefit and take the cost benefit home. {/QUOTE]

Huh??? I don't give a rat's azz about image. The boat (not a trawler) was using a little oil. I tried different oil and can "say w assurance" that it clearly stopped. Just passed along the observation. If you have a little boat with a modern dinky engine it's a non issue. If I had larger, older Volvo or Lehman smokers I'd think about trying it.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #13
Guru

Rufus,
I'm just pointing out that burning a bit of oil is not bad and very very inexpensive.
And I don't doubt your word at all.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I just completed the annual 11 hour trek from storage location to summer slip. Oil consumption in recent years (conventional Rotella 15-40) was typically half a quart per engine). Changed to Rotella T6 15-40 synthetic before winter storage last Fall. Zero oil burn. Freakin' magic. I'm a fan.
Just seeing this.

A quart oil consumption across your engines after an 11 hour run?

So if you did three months in the islands and, say, ran 30 hours to get there, 80 hours while there, and 30 hours back, you would expect to see ~ 3.5 gallons of oil consumption?

Being new to diesels (<4 seasons), is this something folks see as normal and usual?

Seriously asking as my expectation is to to see minimal to no consumption over a whole season.

So interested to know what I am missing, re different set ups.

Fire away!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #15
Guru

Didn't realize it was that much consumption. That's way different.

Synthetics have a tendency to swell or shrink seals so it's possible a seal shrank or expanded and caused the change in oil consumption.
Trans-X is a stop-leak for automatic transmissions and I read somewhere that it swelled the rubber seals a bit to stop leakage from worn seals.
Synthetic oil has an additive that counteracts the natural affect on seals. This was a big problem when synthetic oil was first being used. Now I've been told all synthetic lube oil has the additive.
I'd have been happy w one quart consumption over 22hrs of running. Wouldn't have seen that as a problem. But some people see any "consumption" as a bad thing. Not sure but the oil control ring having the job of distributing a small film of oil for piston, cyl wall and ring lubrication. This film of oil should burn off and replaced as the engine runs. No oil consumption would indicate no lubrication to me but my 06 Avalon dosn't burn oil and most other cars don't either. Hope someone can explain this in time. The oil control ring must apply the oil and wipe it off on the downstroke but ??

Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #16
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Nomad, same as you. I am by no means a diesel expert - hell I am not even an diesel novice! I am looking to rectify that aggressively over the next 12 months.

But my aim would be to have the oil lube my engine "inside" the engine and stay there. I would have thought that engines designed to run continuous duty would be able to take you across oceans on an oil change (well say Charleston to Bermuda and Bermuda to Azores anyway)!

Dreaming, or not?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #17
Guru

Mr. M,
I have no idea nor do I care what people do about oil changing while crossing oceans. Don’t need to even think about it. If I were to find out it may be interesting and may not be interesting. But if you find out ... post it.

In the days when the XJ6 Jaguar engine was one of the greatest high performance engines in the world they set numerous speed records. One was to run an XK140 roadster for 24 hours continuous on a track in France.

All Jaguars burned oil and in the US many owners of new Jaguars complained about the oil consumption. I don’t know if it was as much as Rufus experienced when he was running dino oil but it wasn’t much. The new Jaguars certainly wer’nt smoking or burning “excessive” oil. But I was told it was for adequate lubrication while performing it’s expected high performance duty.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #18

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
I would consider 1/2 qt per engine over 11 hours to be excessive consumption. I have Lehmans, 1 needs a qt. after 120 hrs and the other goes 180 hrs between changes without any.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:35 AM   #19
FF
Guru

Oil consumption? Maybe?

Every engine that lubricates with oil, any oil ,must burn some of the oil.

This is because a thin film will be left on every cylinder during every stroke , including the power stroke,which burns off the oil.

As any engine functions the rings never seal perfectly , so blow by into the crankcase is normal.

Many folks think there engine is not "using oil" because the oil level in the dipstick does not seem to drop.
Blow by condenses enough to cause this effect.

Minor use and short days of light loads can assist oil contamination.

One test is to operate a long hard day -to get the blow by condensate to boil off, and see what happens on the next day , weather the oil level drops.

This effect was noticed decades ago by commuters that just drove to the train station and urban folks required to move cars for street sweeping every day.

The oil base stock does not change the oil burned off the cylinder walls , tho the ability of the rings to scrape synthetic and leave less oil in place might be a help.

Then again the thin easily drained synthetic oil film will not be as good when the engine is shut down at rust prevention.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 AM   #20
Guru

Here's some real life data....

http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/a...el_engines.pdf

I burn around 1 gallon oil per 100 hrs or 1 gallon per 200 gallons diesel or 1 quart oil per 50 gallons diesel which for a Lehman isn't into the "unacceptable" range yet...and even if...not worth doing anything yet because my oil analysis is perfect with no recommendations from the lab.